DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Realized that I never actually finished Far Cry 3. I'd gotten to the Southern island and sorta stalled out or got distracted by another game. So I'm picking away at that, mostly taking outposts right now

I also finished Lego Marvel to 100% completion. Maria Hill and her cart races can fuck right off. The first one wad the only race that really gave me trouble and I ended up having to cheat to win.

thanks Tabe, will be checking some of these out.

and by "some", i mean "one". ordered 'ultimate history'. that's enough reading for this year.

If you're gonna read one, that's the one.

Agreed. Great read.

Kent also has a book title "The First Quarter." Mostly the same content , but IIRC, there was a bit of separation between the two. Not sure if one is just the revised version of the other or which came first, though...

Not enjoying Console Wars much. The extrapolated " dialogue" is horrid and pulls me right out of the book. I'd love to read this story done by someone else...

Spending way too much time (and money) on Warframe. Actually did something ive only done once before and that's get every trophy. 100%. Favorite ( and hardest for me as it and rippa will confirm) was getting 100 allies revived in multiplayer.

• Like 1

I did that for a few weeks when I first got my PS4.

No surprise. It's a group play shooter..check. various mods of  varying rarity..check. pushes your game buttons to a tee.( mine too..made me learn to work with ours in a team game) 

Agreed. Great read.

Kent also has a book title "The First Quarter." Mostly the same content , but IIRC, there was a bit of separation between the two. Not sure if one is just the revised version of the other or which came first, though...

Not enjoying Console Wars much. The extrapolated " dialogue" is horrid and pulls me right out of the book. I'd love to read this story done by someone else...

Ultimate History is a revised-and-expanded version of First Quarter that goes up to the launch of either the PS2 or Xbox.

I received a Beta code for Battlefield Hardline on PS4. I might boot that up tonight.

I was hyped for it but have been pretty disappointed when you compare actual gameplay to that amazing trailer from E3 (not the first time somebody's said that). Seems more like a mod than a new game. Destiny will certainly be getting my money first.

I received a Beta code for Battlefield Hardline on PS4. I might boot that up tonight.

I was hyped for it but have been pretty disappointed when you compare actual gameplay to that amazing trailer from E3 (not the first time somebody's said that). Seems more like a mod than a new game. Destiny will certainly be getting my money first.

The last Battlefield game I've played was Bad Company, so I'll take the opportunity to at least try out some of the multiplayer for free.

Also, the reviews for EA UFC make me happy I didn't jump the gone on my preorder.

Yeah, I haven't even downloaded it and I'm regretting it already. Sigh. No more preorders for me. Just scanning a few reviews, it seems a good enough start for the franchise (though, really it's not the first) but unrefined. As long as I can have some fun with just fuggin around with friends and the gameplay isn't broken, I'm cool with that. In the future, they better include downloadable creations because that copyright bullshit is lame. Do other sports games go through a litany of lawsuits from their create-a-jabroni modes?

As for BF, there will be a big jump for you. For those that are familiar with BF 4, Hardline seems like a nice mod, not a full new game. The concept is really great but I'm not impressed with the execution going from the beta.

The last stage in FTL continues to really piss me off both in how different it is from the rest of the game, and how ridiculously bullshit it can be if you happen to catch a couple bad breaks.

It's really the only major flaw with the game though. Rest of it is really enjoyable, and I've just sort of come to accept that I'll only like 7/8ths of it and that's still much better than most. What a time sink.

Also I've started Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves, and it really is... something a bit unique, both in terms of setting and the gameplay combining "things that don't usually get combined". Haven't been into it much yet but it feels like one of those things where the whole is better than the sum of the parts. Great soundtrack too, really out of the box for a video game. Only really annoying thing is "indie game voice acting lol" but what can you do. Game itself is solid. I'll dig into it a lot more if I ever stop playing FTL every damn day.

Yeah, I haven't even downloaded it and I'm regretting it already. Sigh. No more preorders for me. Just scanning a few reviews, it seems a good enough start for the franchise (though, really it's not the first) but unrefined. As long as I can have some fun with just fuggin around with friends and the gameplay isn't broken, I'm cool with that. In the future, they better include downloadable creations because that copyright bullshit is lame. Do other sports games go through a litany of lawsuits from their create-a-jabroni modes?

It's a little early for a lot of the reviews, quite frankly.  This is a game that needs a little time to percolate so the online community can mature a bit and online fights can improve.  We'll have to wait and see what Bix has to say in his review of the game.  He's been playing for several days already.

That said, I'm glad I didn't pre-order.

Yeah, it's pretty wonky looking and the fact that the fighters are photo realistic make the poor animations and transitions stand out even more. Not a promising first hour with the game.

Tabe, the CPU's defense needs help. They just stand there Rocky blocking (with their face) as you tee off on their head with ridiculous looking combos.

Played a little bit more UFC this morning and while it isn't living up to my (lofty) expectations, my experiences are getting better. I turned the clock back to accelerated as real time is pretty much means automatic 1st round KO. Had a few fun Reem/Big Foot fights that both went into the third round and both ended with Silva kicking Reem in the head twice. They were fun fights.

The main issue I have with the game still remains some jerky animations and how big strikes don't seem like big strikes until guys are worn down and even then it's not a sure thing. As Pettis, you can throw capoeira kicks like jabs. There's a bit of EA's first MMA game's fluidity missing here, as is the weight of strikes.

Alright, I just finished playing UFC with a friend and we had a blast. Roy Nelson and Overeem make for such fun, entertaining fights. So many vicious knockouts. Now that I know not to expect a simulation of MMA, I can start to enjoy it for what it is. It's not perfect, it's not great, but it has potential to be a very fun game.

We also played some Mario Kart 8 and that was good times too. The courses have come a long way since the N64 days. Battle mode while doing laps around regular courses is kind of lame but the races themselves are sweet.