DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Played a little bit more UFC this morning and while it isn't living up to my (lofty) expectations, my experiences are getting better. I turned the clock back to accelerated as real time is pretty much means automatic 1st round KO. Had a few fun Reem/Big Foot fights that both went into the third round and both ended with Silva kicking Reem in the head twice. They were fun fights.

The main issue I have with the game still remains some jerky animations and how big strikes don't seem like big strikes until guys are worn down and even then it's not a sure thing. As Pettis, you can throw capoeira kicks like jabs. There's a bit of EA's first MMA game's fluidity missing here, as is the weight of strikes.

Alright, I just finished playing UFC with a friend and we had a blast. Roy Nelson and Overeem make for such fun, entertaining fights. So many vicious knockouts. Now that I know not to expect a simulation of MMA, I can start to enjoy it for what it is. It's not perfect, it's not great, but it has potential to be a very fun game.

We also played some Mario Kart 8 and that was good times too. The courses have come a long way since the N64 days. Battle mode while doing laps around regular courses is kind of lame but the races themselves are sweet. 

My brother picked up EA Sports UFC on the day of release, and brought it over so that I could check it out.  I am aghast at how much worse this game is than EA MMA.  Striking seems unresponsive, stiff, and the submission mini-game is distracting and ill-conceived.  There are fewer game modes (no tournaments, no Pride mode, no different rule sets) - another recent hallmark of EA, removal of features.  Even the fighter select menu seems bare-bones as hell - no option to select a fighter randomly, fighter ratings are limited (which also seem ridiculous in that almost everyone in the game is rated 88-93, with a few exceptions).  EA Sports are in such a downward spiral - how is it that the quality of their releases deteriorates exponentially as technology improves?  The 2010 World Cup is infinitely better than this year's edition, and the FIFA series gets worse with each installment.  I also wasn't very impressed by NHL 13 - they seem to be designing games entirely around Ultimate Team so that they can reap profits from micro-transactions, as opposed to delivering solid gameplay.

Also, why in the fuck is there like an unskippable video featuring Dana White's fat head addressing the player at the beginning?  Is that egotistical cocksucker unable to keep his face off of any piece of UFC marketing, lest we forget he is A BIG DEAL or something?

So yeah, glad my brother bought this instead of myself.

• Like 2

I've got the urge to do something I have not done in a long time and play around in EWR.

What would I be better off doing? Running through the free version of TEW 05 or just sticking with EWR 4.2? I notice a lot of that community still messes with EWR.

I tried out TEW 05 a year or so ago and for some reason it wasn't stable at all on my Windows 7 system. Multiple crashes, but not at the same point. Just randomly every few minutes.

Pissed around with it trying to work out what the problem was for a couple hours then just gave up. So your mileage may vary. I can't really offer any other feedback on it because it just wouldn't stay stable long enough to get a sense of anything for me.

EWR it still isn't that hard to find "Year X" rosters if you decide to go that way. It definitely has a pretty loyal if small community.

TEW is the shit. My friend and I are playing a game and having some good times. We killed off WWE and TNA, did a fantasy draft with nobody off limits and are having a Monday night war. In general, I went with the better workers, he went with the more over and entertaining guys. Never done a multiplayer game before, so that was a new experience but a really enjoyable one. 

'05 is kind of clunky and the game has been refined to a great degree since then, so I'd give it a test run and see how you find it in comparison to the streamlined EWR experience.

Playing Final Fantasy V, mainly.  The bot that assigns jobs for the Fiesta gave me a shit draw; Monk, Berserker, Geomancer, and Dancer.  So I paid $4 to the charity it supports and switched out the shitty Dancer for a Summoner.  MUCH better, since I have actual magic worth a shit now.

• Like 1

Anyone want to buy an X-Box 360? I haven't used mine in a year and a half. Plus I need money to start a band, and apparently all of Sandy Eggo is good on 360s.

Old model but manufactured after fixes to the Red Ring Crisis went out. 120GB hard drive. Wired internet port, no internal wireless tech. Has HDMI port (which is good because I lost the SDTV video cables. I will include my HDMI cable if you need it). One wireless controller that takes AA batteries (never got the charge kit).

Will include these games:

-Grand Theft Auto 5

-Mortal Kombat

-Call of Duty 4
-Viva Pinata
-Lost Planet
-Alone in the Dark

$200 (shipping included in price for US only), PM me if you're interested.

I was enjoying Mario Kart 8 for a few weeks, then realized I could steer with the regular d-pad.  Now it's godly.  I get beyond angry when the cpu fucks me over in the last race and keeps me from getting the 3 star shit.  Online, I never get mad because it doesn't matter.  Soon as I get all the characters I'm never playing the computer again.

Real Men play Mario Kart 64 without using glitches and sob openly when the computer rubber bands with 12 seconds left on the final lap from 5th to 1st place right before the finish line and appears out of thin air to win and screw you over.

Just had some buddies over for a Mario Kart 8 session and it was good times. Some of the levels have too much shit going on for me, though. I'm an old man used to playing SNES and N64 Mario Kart.

I got a PS3 on the cheap at the weekend with a bunch of games. Started playing one of them called Spec Ops: The Line just expecting it to be another thoughtless run n gun game. Nope, it's really fucking dark and has an Apocalypse Now descent into madness vibe. I did a mission yesterday where I had to drop phosphorous bombs on a platoon of rogue US troopers THEN walk through the aftermath - burnt soldiers crawling around, crying. One was still alive and simply asked 'why'. Grim

• Like 1

Since I'm a stupid man and cannot be trusted with my own money... I bought a Wii U today along with Mario Kart.

You might as well just buy JT and I XBones and then all of your problems will be solved

• Like 1