DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Because their free-to-play games with microtransactions have been extroidinarily successful for them recently. Avengers Alliance, Marvel Heroes 2015, Marvel Puzzle Quest.... cash cows. And good games too. I want a new Ultimate Alliance too, but I don't blame then for sticking with what's been successful.

Finally finished WATCH DOGS today. It was alright. A much better first effort than the original ASSASSIN'S CREED, but far, far below the best games of that series.

Chapter 2 (out of 5) is a total slog, though, with 15 tedious fucking missions. No other chapter had more than 8 or 9. I imagine most people who quit on the game did so at some point during that chapter, because I was certainly tempted to. But I persevered, and I found the last 3 chapters were much brisker and had more interesting missions. Still not great, but definitely enjoyable in a way the first half of the game isn't.

Because their free-to-play games with microtransactions have been extroidinarily successful for them recently. Avengers Alliance, Marvel Heroes 2015, Marvel Puzzle Quest.... cash cows. And good games too. I want a new Ultimate Alliance too, but I don't blame then for sticking with what's been successful.

Outside of the Facebook game, I can't run any of them. And I'm not buying a new tablet/PC/phone for the privilege to do so.

It definitely needed some work. Popup, draw in, graphical glitches, etc. I remember Bix and I both being shocked at some of the graphical issues. Having said that, it IS an incredible-looking game.

The PS4 can run at 60 fps though.

Not all the time though.  The game aims for 60 fps but doesn't always get there.  It even comes with a "lock at 30 fps" option to guarantee a consistent frame rate.

Especially when the amount of data and processing power needed to render full 1080p60 is fucking massive.  

Also totally forgetting that no console in the history of consoles had software using the full potential of the hardware within the first couple years of the system.  None.  Shit, look at the EOL NES stuff compared to launch stuff.  Hell, compare it to launch Atari 7800 stuff, and the 7800 had argubally better hardware.

• Like 2

Glad I decided not to wait to get Entwined.  What a beautiful, beautiful game.  So far I finished the sixth chapter and was in complete awe of how it looks.  It's different from Journey, but man this is a blast to play.  Gameplay is simple, just use the sticks.  But it's all about themes and story.  It's well worth checking out.

The 30 fps lock has some new shadow effects and stuff.

These new consoles not running at 1080p 60 fps is sad. Very sad.

I agree. Especially after a lot of the pre-release hype for The Last of Us Remastered was that it would be 1080p60, not kinda/sorta 1080p60.

IGN has posted a side by side of the graphics for the PS3 & PS4 versions of The Last of Us.  And the results are...

Underwhelming, sayeth Tabe

The differences in a lot of those screens is almost unnoticeable. Some of them even seem like it's just the PS3 version is darker.

I am picking up the PS4 version on Thursday because I never played the PS3 version.

I honestly hope they do a release for the Uncharted games for PS4 even if it's just a direct port.

I'm not real sure why but I decided to pick up Pure Pool for my PS4.  $9.09 for PS+ members.  I can't even play it for several days as I'm nowhere near my PS4.

I'm not real sure why but I decided to pick up Pure Pool for my PS4.  $9.09 for PS+ members.  I can't even play it for several days as I'm nowhere near my PS4.

This is where the Vita comes in handy.