DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

The thing that would be hard for Peyton as a coach wouldn't be if someone isn't other-worldly talented.  It would be if they don't spend every waking moment studying and honing their skill set.  He'd want them to play chess and won't understand if they can only play checkers, so to speak.

Pretty much. Of course, some of that depends on how much patience he is.

Peyton's spot on one of the networks is cased in granite if he wants to go that direction.

There are actually rumors that networks may try to convince him to retire just to get him on TV. CBS is trying to get him a dual SEC/NFL studio role. I doubt they'll be able to convince him to quit and go into TV, but my god, when he leaves, it'll be a bloodbath.

The thing that would be hard for Peyton as a coach wouldn't be if someone isn't other-worldly talented.  It would be if they don't spend every waking moment studying and honing their skill set.  He'd want them to play chess and won't understand if they can only play checkers, so to speak.

Singletary, Jerry West, Magic, Isiah, Gretzky and Kidd had or are currently having that exact problem. Larry Bird was the exception that proves the rule. 

Singletary, Jerry West, Magic, Isiah, Gretzky and Kidd had or are currently having that exact problem. Larry Bird was the exception that proves the rule. 

The track record across sports of great players trying to coach is amazingly poor. Almost all the best coaches were terrible players, for some reason.

Hey, the Lions got the Saints' QB coach to be their offensive coordinator.  Not a bad pick perhaps but he hasn't been an OC since 2005 at Marysville.  Obviously the Lions are intent on fixing whatever's wrong with Matthew Stafford.

Would absolutely recommend watching tonight's Americas Game with former Redskins TE Jerry Smith who was a great player in the 60's and 70's while hiding the fact that he was gay.   Great to see how supportive the players were of him especially when he came out and later died for AIDS in the early 80's.   If you think the issues in the NFL was shaky with gays now, imagine the 60's and 70's.  i mean there was a interview from 1975 from an NFL official that compared gays to communists trying to invade our country

Very powerful story from one of the more underated players in the NFL

The only thing that makes sense from a Shield perspective as far as the PATs go is that it eliminates 5-7 instances per game where trench contact happens, theoretically increasing player safety just a little.

I'm not saying it's a GOOD reason, but a reason at least.

If they are doing this for the sake of 'entertainment"  then how about moving the PAT back a bit to make it a 25 or 30 yard PAT.   That makes the kicks more intriquing and increases the probabilty that a 2 point conversion isn't that risky. 

They should leave it alone personally.

It isn't 100% automatic and in situations where a TD ties the game late and an extra point can put the team that just scored up by one, there's more pressure to make the kick or for the other team to block it.

I do agree with moving it back though, that's a better idea.

• Like 1

I think if they want to make the extra point more challenging, they should copy rugby and have the kick be from wherever the ball crossed the goal line, so a touchdown that was scored in the middle of the field has an easier extra point than a touchdown scored at the pylon. 

I think if they want to make the extra point more challenging, they should copy rugby and have the kick be from wherever the ball crossed the goal line, so a touchdown that was scored in the middle of the field has an easier extra point than a touchdown scored at the pylon.

That would sorta work if they went to the college hash marks

Still bitter that the Raiders lost to the Chargers in week 17 a few years back, leading to the Broncos making it in the playoffs and Tebowmania running wild for the OT win against the Steelers

Yeah.  Sorry.  But...the Raiders losing caused the Steelers to lose so...yeah...that eases the pain.  Then again, Tebowmania.  Shit.

Let me just rejoice in the Steelers losing.  Yeah.