DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/10 - 4/16/2024 - Julia Hart of (Real) Glass

Tony Khan:

"AEW has a great track record on delivering what we advertise, and it is real footage. The Young Bucks will show backstage footage from All In, the most important event in AEW history–the world record-holder for the most tickets ever sold for any wrestling record, 81,035 total–and it was an important night backstage, as well.”

"The decision is based on putting on the best show for AEW, as well as driving interest for Dynamite and our Dynasty pay-per-view on April 21. This is real-life footage that affected many people, and it will air for the first time on TBS during Dynamite."

• Like 1

Out of the infinite number of universes, I'm sure there's one where the footage is the smoking gun where Punk wraps both hands around TK's neck before being confronted face to face by Jack Perry who proceeds to leave him laying. Then Punk announces his retirement on twitter out of shame.

Unfortunately, we live in one where the footage is completely unrelated to Punk, no one cares about Bucks/FTR 4 or Jack Perry, and TK is still scratching his head wondering why people on the internet make fun of him and his company.

• Like 1

I'm imagining it as like CCTV footage from the upper corner of a hallway in black and white where somebody fights out of camera range, comes backing into the shot yelling, then walks out again and then somebody walks past holding their face or something. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Out of the infinite number of universes, I'm sure there's one where the footage is the smoking gun where Punk wraps both hands around TK's neck before being confronted face to face by Jack Perry who proceeds to leave him laying. Then Punk announces his retirement on twitter out of shame.

Unfortunately, we live in one where the footage is completely unrelated to Punk, no one cares about Bucks/FTR 4 or Jack Perry, and TK is still scratching his head wondering why people on the internet make fun of him and his company.

I'm kinda totally fine with an epic fail here, but I don't suspect it will be. Why do you assume no one cares about FTR v the Young Bucks 4? I think there's more than a few of us who really dug each of their first three matches. I suspect 4 will be just as excellent. I'm also very much hoping this footage helps bridge the return of Jack Perry. I guess you could say 'I care'. I liked his early babyface act, and was totally into the beginnings of his heel run. Jack's a great example of the lack of patience in 2024 for the progreassion of young wrestlers. He's only 26 years old - a long way from his prime.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I haven’t had the time or energy to even watch Collision from Saturday (or the main from Rampage), and all the online discourse about what this clip might be has been kinda killing my excitement for that and tonight. Plus I really am fine without any Jack Perry. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I haven’t had the time or energy to even watch Collision from Saturday (or the main from Rampage), and all the online discourse about what this clip might be has been kinda killing my excitement for that and tonight. Plus I really am fine without any Jack Perry. 

Both are pretty skippable with mostly JTTS matches -- they seem to have surrendered the weekend due to Mania -- but Rampage did have an excellent 4 way main with elimination rules!   I didn't even get into FTR vs Top Flight but others say it was pretty good.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

I haven’t watched a full AEW show in weeks, and tonight probably won’t be the time I break that streak (but that’s mostly due to all episodes of Fallout dropping on Amazon Prime tonight).

I can’t WAIT to see the backpedaling Fightful and the Observer do when the footage has nothing to do with Punk.

EDIT: What a huuuuuuge nothingburger. It’s exactly as Punk described, and if that is why Tony feared for his life… holy shit bro

Edited by Casey

52 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I haven’t had the time or energy to even watch Collision from Saturday (or the main from Rampage)

I thought both shows were a lot of fun. Rampage had great flow throughout. I think you'd really dig the Adora-Deeb match. I really liked Roddy's eliminator match with London Lightning. Malakai-Daniels was a nice showcase. The 4 Way Elimination match is worth your time. Collision also had a great flow. A lot of promos and video packages to break up the bouts. Dustin had a promo that you'll dig. So too Joe's rebuttal. I thought Renee's sitdowns with Ospreay and Danielson were well done. FTR-Top Flight was good, not great. Penta v Kommander was really good, but maybe not for you. I guess it's sorta true about the wrestling not being so good to go out of your way to see, but Collision was still kind of a fun show. 

• Like 2

I don't know if the show itself will have late WCW vibes but all this talk about the video sure does. I really want to say I don't care but it's all bumming me out so I guess I do. I mean it's wrestling and all but it can still be possible for somebody to be professional and not pull shit like this, right?

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4

The worst part of all this is that Jack Perry is going to be catapulted into a high profile spot with the Bucks and Okada. Brawl In is the best thing that ever happened to him, clearly.

• Like 4

I was hoping showing the video would be funny or amusing in presentation but it really just came across as dumb. One can nitpick but its 90% how Punk described it, and the TK "feared for my life" part looks silly since while Punk did yell at him (it wasn't mentioned but you could tell when it happened) it didn't look like he was going to attack him. Then they sent out boring ass shitty promo FTR to further kill the already confused crowd for the next hour. TK needed a good friend to tell him showing the footage would only "work" if it was presented ridiculously almost like a cartoon, or it showed a very different version than what Punk said. Neither happened. They should never mention it again and hope everyone forgets.

• Like 7

Cope and Penta had a banger, Dustin bled buckets, May and Jay had a solid match, Willow got put over BIG TIME, but none of that is going to matter.

• Like 4

AEW should have ignored CM Punk's interview and not air the All In London 2023 footage. One company takes passing shots in interviews while the other uses TV time in response.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what that accomplished.  I have to correct the person who said "why did Tony fear for his life over that?"  because the story goes that Tony/Punk had a separate incident as well..   not just this one that was shown.  

But back to the footage.  I wouldn't say it happened "exactly" the way Punk said.  Punk implied in the interview that Jungle Boy "got too close" so he had to choke him or whatever.  That didn't happen.  Punk waited until Jungle Boy flung his hair back and then attempted to strike him.  

So does it show Punk is a liar?  Maybe..  or at least only telling half truths.  But what does it accomplish?  Everyone knows Punk is an asshole and will likely exit WWE at some point after having an altercation.  

This didn't help AEW,  Tony or Jungle Boy or anyone.. 

• Like 6

I thought the footage and the whole angle, was handled about as well as they could if they were going to do it. They tried to position FTR as the adults in the room who are focused on making AEW awesome and not petty beefs between egos. Basically it's dumb that Punk did this and it's dumb that The bucks did this.

But they probably would've been better off not doing any of it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1