DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

Something I haven't seen talked about with the HHH/Ospreay stuff, and I could be wrong on it, but it feels like top WWE guys have a lot more media and non-wrestling commitments than AEW does, especially as they're branching out more outside of the US. 

I feel like it's a 'hit dogs holler' situation. I didn't take it to be explicitly around Ospreay, although I do see why he felt hit, but more so about lesser names who haven't made nearly as big a name for themselves. I've also seen the idea it was at Okada as well, which just doesn't make any sense to me at all. I kinda of lean towards it having been meant more as a general platitude than a personal attack on any one worker, but tribalism gonna tribalize.

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

you leave Z-man alone

Jacob Fatu did the time honored tradition of not showing up for his final indy booking tonight

on the subject of WWE tours they announced some new dates recently of note 4/21 is billed as Sunday Stunner, and 4/20 is Saturday Night Main Event. I'd guess that's attempting to counter program AEW, wonder if those air on Peacock 

I believe they have been billing their respective Saturday and Sunday live events as that for the last couple years. They alternate between those titles and Road to Wrestlemania/Supershow/Holiday themed ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ace said:

To be fair, Roman revealed this weekend, that he's on constant oral chemotherapy for his leukemia.

The grind doesn't recognize illness and any other characteristics of weakness. Like sneezing.

• Like 5

Triple H's whole thing in the Grind speech was "You need to be working and grinding", and then to sidestep the whattaboutism of all WWE's part-timers, he qualified it with "early in your career". Ospreay, 30 years old has 13 years pro experience (and a good five years of backyarding before that). Over a thousand matches (that Cagematch knows about), and a lot of them went over 30 minutes. His total career ringtime is going to be a lot higher than most freelancers out there. He's been grinding.

• Like 2

This is all going for naught when WWE signs Ospreay in like 3 years to wrestle 35 times a year. Then all sudden, it's not going to be an issue and he's one of the hardest working men in pro wrestling. I mean they signed someone who had multiple physical altercations backstage. I think there aren't too many things they wouldn't be able to get over.

• Like 1

Apparently plane trips don't equal "grind" either. Only direct, rubber-to-road tire contact, eating out of Buc-ee's and Waffle Houses, and cheapest possible sleeping arrangements allowed. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Curt looks mischievous as fuck, man. He looks like the dude who might set the whole school on fire.

You know if you wrestle 100 matches this year for WWE, they give you free Pizza Hut for a year.

That's either a reward or punishment.

The rules for Book It! sure have changed. How do we scam the system now?

Oh wait! I know! Gauntlet matches!

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of 7 people and bangs

I’m close to Robinsdale. Their water is a mix of protein powder and Gatorade. 

I went to Minnetonka. 

GO SKIPPERS! 
B996656-F-00-F2-4-AF9-877-B-6-FA11013-DB

B3-AF40-B0-9-CE5-4-AB1-9-EDD-E61-C60-A5-
Kris Humphries went here. Yeah, that Kris Humphries.

GO SKIPPERS! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I mean, ultimately who gives a shit about a bunch of rich knobs whining over working one or three days a week. They're getting paid stupid money and as a viewer all I care about is that they do their jobs

• Like 2

I saw that picture on FB also wow. I think Rogaine was also in the water because they had superior fuzz.

Also gotta love Bret Hart. I know he’s been a trip but he stuck Eric Bischoff hard and deep with that mini rant that took the same amount of effort as it does for him to scratch his nose. Meanwhile Eric fired back with maximum intensity and all he had was that.

• Like 1

Speaking of Bret. I was just thinking today, did he ever have a 1-on-1 match with Dustin? I’d assume they did at some point during the Golddust run. 

7 minutes ago, Log said:

Speaking of Bret. I was just thinking today, did he ever have a 1-on-1 match with Dustin? I’d assume they did at some point during the Golddust run. 

I think they had one the night after Canadian Stampede off the top of my head.

• Thanks 1

There’s one at the end of the MSG Raw on the same night as Austin stunning Vince, and the Cactus Jack debut.

7 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I mean, ultimately who gives a shit about a bunch of rich knobs whining over working one or three days a week. They're getting paid stupid money and as a viewer all I care about is that they do their jobs

People are clowning Mercedes for promoting her upcoming appearances in her tweets saying she wouldn't have to do that in WWE but hey, she was obviously out bid by Tony Khan.  I'm not saying she doesn't care if the houses are not close to full but it obviously meant more to get a better paying deal. I would have never expected to see her ever wrestle outside of WWE a few years ago so im loving getting to watch her wrestle outside of WWE.

I'm sure she'll go back one day but I don't understand why people are upset with her choosing not to got back to WWE just because it's the bigger known promotion. Mercedes has the most loyal fans of all the women in the industry so I want to see if alot of them support her outside of WWE.

• Like 1

The grind thing couldn't have been about Okada since New Japan guys generally work over a hundred matches a year. Japan is smaller though and maybe if someone told HHH that having high speed rail that generally runs on a reliable time schedule cuts down on road time we would see a WWE campaign to bring the shinkansen to America.

The only way people like Fuminori Abe and Kaori Yoneyama amass matches over or near 200 is by doing double shots. Looking at cagematch, Abe would do a show at Korakuen and then mosey on over to Shinkiba (or maybe vice versa). Sometimes they don't even have to move as indies will sometimes split a building to do morning and afternoon shows. Star Lane in Hakata would have this a lot. I'm amazed Sakura Hirota only hit a hundred matches in a year a few times because it felt like she was there every time I went.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mystman said:

Are we sure Hunter was talking about Osperey? I mean, has that been confirmed? I was just thinking, maybe he was talking about MJF.

No, it was all very vague, perhaps purposefully so.  He also said something to the effect of "early in your career," which would rule out Osprey and Okada.  BUT it's also conceivable that HHH doesn't know they're veterans.  Or maybe he's such a Kool Aid drinker he believes your career hasn't even started, and is thus still early, until you've worked New York brother.

Me, I just assumed he said "early in your career" so vets he knows personally, like Edge, wouldn't feel like they were catching strays.

But really, in the end, a guy who is supposed to be on the business side now, and just had the best weekend of his career as an exec, doesn't need to be punching down at anyone.  To paraphrase a line from a great work of cinema, "Are you such a fucking loser you can't tell when you've won?"

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2