DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

3 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

Most of CMLL's current stuff is behind a paywall.  The easiest way to catch up on things would be to go back to the 2023 Gran Prix, and watch the Friday shows from there. To do that you may need to find a fan of the Cubs, and see if they have any of that saved anywhere in a publicly accessible shared drive. *Nudgenudgewinkwink*

A quick (very quick) primer...

Mistico is the top draw, and Volador Jr is the ace of the company. Both are tecnicos by default, but Volador will work rudo opposite Mistico or when needed.  Mascara Dorada 2, Soberano Jr, and Atlantis Jr are being positioned to be the cornerstones of the promotion in the near future.

Ultimo Guerrero is the former ace of the company that is starting to slow down a bit, but he is consistently positioned as the top rudo in the company. A lot of things revolve around him. His brother Gran Guerrero is nowhere near as good, but gets a huge push by proxy. Niebla Roja & Angel del Oro, the Chavez Bros, are the CMLL tag champs, and dominate that division. There are a ton of great workers in the upper midcard, like Stuka Jr, Templario, Valiente, Barbaro Cabernario, Titan, Neon, Futuro, Averno, Mephesto, Blue Panther's kids, Guerrero Maya Jr, Rey Cometa... these guys are the life blood of the promotion because they just get thrown out there to have matches. 

Probably the biggest "angle" over the past couple years has been Rocky Romero periodically showing up to start shit and stir things up.  Awhile back he beat Volador for the NWA Middleweight Title, and then Volador took his hair.

Over the past year, CMLL has really out a focus on women... in fact they ran an all-women's show last night.  A lot of the veteran women are oft injured, so they've really been giving young girls an opportunity. Many are green as grass, but the level of work has stepped up quite a bit. Steph Vaquer is probably the cream of these new girls, but Jarochita and Lady Isis are pretty good too.  When Amapola and some of the veteran luchadors can and want to go, they can have some real good matches.

Wow!

I honestly cannot thank you enough for this post, and look forward to diving in.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

Mercedes will not be as big a deal as she could be as long as AEW sticks to its "one women's match per show" mandate. i hope this is the incentive they need to get rid of the rigidity and be able to mix things up.

I'm fine with one women's match per show but I'll never understand why they don't do more multi-women tags. 6, 8, 10 whatever.  You get more people on tv and if you lay out a well booked match that's fast paced where everyone gets to shine it's going to do so much more for the division than long, heatless singles matches with a commercial break.  Also might hide how green some of them are.  And you can get more stories and rivalries going that way

I don't really pay close attention to the ratings/segment breakdowns but my guess a lot of those singles matches die, especially when it's a match with someone relatively unknown or who only shows up on tv once a month.  Some of the women show potential but I'm not invested in the division at all at this point, and since I'm usually watching the shows on delay or the next day I've gotten in the habit of skipping most of the women's matches.  And that's crazy to me because I like women's wresting and they have so much talent!!  Doesn't help that the champions are someone I have a hard time taking seriously in Julia Hart and then Toni Storm who used to be my favorite and now I can't even watch her matches.  Like, the division is a bigger joke to me now than even the WWE Divas at times back in the day.  I'd think I'd rather watch a LayCool or Bellas tag than some of AEW's shit

Hoping Mone coming in is the impetus for a complete tonal shift and they get back to treating it seriously

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I was a huge proponent of Miro to AEW but even I'd admit, it just didn't feel right almost from the start. Sometimes we're wrong.

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Hell they did everything Punk wanted and he still did nothing but a Shawn Michaels On Coke impression the whole time he was there

The Miro TNT title run gets forgotten from being sandwiched between his poor debuting Gamer era (alongside Kip Sabian) and this two year plus disappearing act. I'd argue that TNT Title run was as good as any. 

The talk of CM Punk failing in AEW isn't quite accurate. He was great til the injuries. And match-wise pretty strong the rest of the way thru. His Collision run was entirely excellent - unless I'm forgetting some quarter hour misfire. 

17 hours ago, JLowe said:

Mercedes already has a built-in feud with Willow they can start with.

Totally, but I sense or hope more for an alignment with Willow (maybe following a Wednesday STAT heel turn?). It just doesn't seem like a great time to pit blossoming top babyface Willow against top top babyface Mone. That said, they continue to try and book Deonna Purrazzo as a babyface and Toni Storm as a heel. 

• Like 1

From what I’ve been able to glean of Tony’s booking style from bits and bobs on podcasts he either allows talent to create their own angles or gives them angles at the last minute but won’t force them to do anything. Seems to me Miro had a couple of bad ideas of his own and then refused to do any of Tony’s ideas at all. And to be fair I wouldn’t show up for a hastily booked Meat Madness cluster that I was going to lose only to disappear again either, that’s just protecting your value as an on screen character. And the way contracts are structured he has no reason to acquiesce, he gets paid either way. So I’d agree it’s an AEW problem only in as much as managing difficult talent and getting a return on investment from them is most of what bookers have done over the years. You can’t count on everyone being Sting

A lot of dudes who are meant to be Mr. Perfect think they should actually be Shawn Michaels. I get it, we all are our best advocates and want what we think we deserve, but there's no shame in occupying a lower position and excelling at it. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So they're underachievers, then?

Either the joke went over my head or I have no idea what you mean 😂

Unless the joke is regarding the word "perfect," in which case well done!

Edited by Coletti

It's 2024, I think we can all accept that Shawn Michaels was the Jannetty of The Rockers.

• Haha 3

CJ had to take time off to deal with a serious infection, and that delayed it, to the point that Andrade's deal expired. So it didn't reach a satisfactory conclusion, no.

9 minutes ago, Log said:

We never got a Miro/Andrade match in AEW, did we? Did they ever finish up the angle with CJ, or did Andrade leaving kill it?

They had a "blow off" match for the angle on PPV in December. The odder part is that Miro never appeared again, although Miro is now saying he is injured so maybe that's 10% of the reason. The other 90% being Miro doesn't seem terribly interested in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Either the joke went over my head or I have no idea what you mean 😂

Unless the joke is regarding the word "perfect," in which case well done!

Well, it wasn't a perfectly formed joke. (So to speak.) The germ of it is that I personally hold Curt Hennig in higher esteem than Shawn Michaels. But of course, your comment was (I think) about how successful they were in the business, not how skilled they were. (And I'm sure lots of people would argue Michaels was more skilled than Hennig.)

The more serious part of the comment was that I would think wrestlers who overestimated themselves would picture themselves as not only being the top guy, but succeeding as the top guy. Michaels made it to that level but was a flop.

To put it another: I interpreted your comment as meaning there are a lot of dudes who think they're cut out for the main event but aren't. Which I would argue could be more concisely expressed by "There are a lot of Shawn Michaelses in the locker room".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many people on their roster would be happy to just be streamers and not have to wrestle at all.

Chugs has been streaming FFVII for 4 or 5 hours every day and only stopped because he had to go to the PPV. 

• Like 1

Given that Miro was one of the people rumored to have asked for his release/been approached by WWE and seemingly turned down... how can I put this: you have the legal right to make him stick around but you can't really force him to care or try if he doesn't want to. One can argue whether he should or not but ultimately if he's only there because he is made to (again because he signed a contract of his own free will) there's really nothing to prevent him from slow playing things the rest of his time there. Even in WWE, where this happened a lot to people we were generally sympathetic to, things generally hit a point where if the wrestlers still wanted out they decided it was no longer worth the effort and just let them go and... well if the rumors are true this has been going on for about 18 months now, if it's not getting better by now it likely ain't gonna.

• Sad 1

Is there any guarantee that the new regime would want Miro back? I presume word on the grapevine has gotten back to him, one way or another,

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Log said:

We never got a Miro/Andrade match in AEW, did we? Did they ever finish up the angle with CJ, or did Andrade leaving kill it?

Miro beat him at Worlds End, and CJ turned on Andrade, helping Miro win. Tony announced Andrade was leaving right after that. And then there was this: