DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

On 2/23/2024 at 12:52 PM, The Natural said:

Wrestling Observer 2023 Awards. C&P from elsewhere.

Reveal hidden contents

WON 2023 Best Non Wrestler:. DON CALLIS

WON 2023 Most Improved: JULIA HART

WON 2023 Most Underrated: CHAD GABLE

WON 2023 Rookie Of The Year: YUMA ANZAI

WON 2023 Europe MVP: WILL OSPREAY

WON 2023 Mexico MVP: MISTICO

WON 2023 Japan MVP: WILL OSPREAY

WON 2023 US/Canada MVP: CODY RHODES

WON 2023 Hodge Award/Non-Heavyweight MVP: EL HIJO DEL
VIKINGO

WON 2023 Best Flying Wrestler: EL HIJO DEL VIKINGO

WON 2023 Bruiser Brody Memorial/Best Brawler Award: JON
MOXLEY

WON 2023 Bryan Danielson/Best Technical Wrestler Award:
BRYAN DANIELSON

WON 2023 Most Outstanding Wrestler: WILL OSPREAY

WON 2023 Best On Interviews: EDDIE KINGSTON

WON 2023 Best Weekly TV Show: AEW DYNAMITE

WON 2023 Womens Wrestling MVP: RHEA RIPLEY

WON 2023 Promoter Of The Year: NICK KHAN

WON 2023 Feud Of The Year: SAMI ZAYN & KEVIN OWENS VS.
BLOODLINE

WON 2023 Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW REVOLUTION 3/5 SAN
FRANCISCO

WON 2023 Match Of The Year: KENNY OMEGA VS. WILL OSPREAY 1/4
WRESTLE KINGDOM TOKYO

WON 2023 Tag Team Of The Year: FTR

WON 2023 Promotion Of The Year: WWE

WON 2023 Best Booker: PAUL LEVESQUE

WON 2023 Wrestler Of The Year: WILL OSPREAY

---

Biggest takeaway is WWE wins Promotion of the Year, Triple H Booker of the Year and Nick Khan the Promoter of the Year. Keep Tony Khan from Twitter.

So AEW got the top 2 weekly shows, best ppv, most charismatic, best technical, best brawler, best flyer, best non-wrestler, best announcer, most improved, best gimmick, featured/signed the best overall, and the promotion of the year is... WWE?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

So AEW got the top 2 weekly shows, best ppv, most charismatic, best technical, best brawler, best flyer, best non-wrestler, best announcer, most improved, best gimmick, featured/signed the best overall, and the promotion of the year is... WWE?

voters voting off of which promotion has more depth?

"sure, AEW has all these great things, but once you get past that, what about their midcard?"

4 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

So can anybody explain the distinction between "Wrestler of the Year" and "Most Outstanding Wrestler"?

The former is supposed to be for “the whole package” including working, drawing power, etc.

The latter is supposed to be best in-ring worker. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

voters voting off of which promotion has more depth?

Or it's just like damn near every other major awards were two or three entities can dominate the major categories but another entity can win Best Picture or Album of the Year without winning more than one other notable category. That's why there is a controversy every year somewhere or how everything is fixed. Doesn't matter if everything is evenly divided in terms of recognition or not. That's how awards work in general.

oh yeah, aren't some of the Observer awards ones where total points determines a winner and some are just "first place votes only"... not saying that awards flip if they had a consistent counting method for the awards, just sorta interesting that it's conducted like baseball awards for some questions and conducted like "Rafael Palmeiro wins the gold glove in a year were he played 15 games of defense" Gold Glove voting for other questions

It also comes down to competition. You can't just automatically say X won this many awards when some of those categories were probably thin as hell in terms of nominees. You're telling me every year that there has been an AL and NL Rookie of the Year or MVP of the Year, both sides were just equally divided with quality candidates? 

Fighter of the Year in boxing (and MMA, tbh) is basically "did you fight more than once a year and beat someone notable in multiple fights?". That's it. The criteria is minimum now. You put so little thought into it. It's still valuable don't get me wrong but the level of the prestige that distinction use to have is gone cause it's virtually automatically awarded every year to one or two people who barely qualify.

When Nicki Minaj for a span of five or six years was winning Best Female Hip Hop Artist, my first question was, "Is she competing against kids...who the fuck else is in that category?". Missy Elliott ain't really putting out any new music. Lauryn Hill was still considered "crazy" and skipping out on her own concerts. Remy Ma was still in prison. Lil Kim was worried more about cosmetic surgery than releasing any music. Like one year you get like "Papers Planes" or Kreayshawn or somebody, but that's essentially filler. Now? There are more than a dozen or so really worthwhile female rappers including Nicki. So if she wins it today, that's more of a badge of honor than several years ago. 

You cannot blindly assume everything has equal weight.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

AEW had I believe four of the five worst gimmicks so I would say its a take the good with the bad. Kinda like late period WCW get get these 20 minute Hogan/NWO promos with a solid undercard 

8 hours ago, Ace said:

What is it about people in wrestling thinking pencil mustaches suit them?

I blame Clark Gable.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It also comes down to competition. You can't just automatically say X won this many awards when some of those categories were probably thin as hell in terms of nominees. You're telling me every year that there has been an AL and NL Rookie of the Year or MVP of the Year, both sides were just equally divided with quality candidates? 

Fighter of the Year in boxing (and MMA, tbh) is basically "did you fight more than once a year and beat someone notable in multiple fights?". That's it. The criteria is minimum now. You put so little thought into it. It's still valuable don't get me wrong but the level of the prestige that distinction use to have is gone cause it's virtually automatically awarded every year to one or two people who barely qualify.

When Nicki Minaj for a span of five or six years was winning Best Female Hip Hop Artist, my first question was, "Is she competing against kids...who the fuck else is in that category?". Missy Elliott ain't really putting out any new music. Lauryn Hill was still considered "crazy" and skipping out on her own concerts. Remy Ma was still in prison. Lil Kim was worried more about cosmetic surgery than releasing any music. Like one year you get like "Papers Planes" or Kreayshawn or somebody, but that's essentially filler. Now? There are more than a dozen or so really worthwhile female rappers including Nicki. So if she wins it today, that's more of a badge of honor than several years ago. 

You cannot blindly assume everything has equal weight.

Damn, Eve so far gone she can't even get a mention out here, though, to be fair, this is the first time I've thought of Eve in like fifteen years, so I guess that proves the point, lol.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Folks can't got off HHH's dick, even though the creative isn't any better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

She was part of that roots of hip hop biography series 🤷‍♂️

I didn't even know there was a roots of hip hop biography series, to tell the truth.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19856538/

It was solid. The Luke one was really good, he deserves a special honor somewhere for defending freedom of speech in this country. Flash one showed just how much he got fucked over; Lil Jon came off as a really smart guy who knows that he made chicken salad out of chicken shit. The Fat Joe one showed me a lot of stuff I wasn't aware of. 

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

AEW's booking has been rough for a while now and took a notable downswing they are just starting to recover from when they added Collision, so they won a lot of the awards that are in-ring focused but lost the others.

Or to put it another way, they made us sit through that Devil shit so if they only lose a few awards over it they got off light ;P

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Folks can't got off HHH's dick, even though the creative isn't any better. 

With how AEW has been actually booked over the last few years yet Kahn winning the awards this is incredibly funny to me.

The awards might have meant something somewhat objectively (or as objectively as possible for a thing like wrestling) at one point like star ratings might have. At the moment it's something to point and laugh at. 

4 hours ago, username said:

AEW's booking has been rough for a while now and took a notable downswing they are just starting to recover from when they added Collision, so they won a lot of the awards that are in-ring focused but lost the others.

Or to put it another way, they made us sit through that Devil shit so if they only lose a few awards over it they got off light ;P

I'll almost always watch AEW over WWE and the former definitely has more guys on the roster I'm interested in seeing, but AEW's booking has been pretty rank for a while now. Sure a lot of it has to do with injuries or other things beyond their control, but so many of the storylines have been inconsistent or directionless if not outright stupid. The writing in WWE isn't any great shakes either and I was in full on "fuck this company" mode for a while last year, but things have been a lot better in recent months. For the first time in I don't know how long I'm actually looking forward to Wrestlemania. As bland as WWE often is, I will say their overall product comes off a lot tighter and more well produced than AEW even if I generally prefer the wrestling in AEW.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

As long as Coach Tony wants us to accept Sammy Guevara as a babyface, I'll vote Terror Ryzing over him any day. 

Our very own Technico Support:

"AEW, please stop trying to make Sammy Guevara: Likable Babyface happen.  Dude could save animals from a burning pet shelter while curing cancer and we’d still want to punch him in the face."

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19856538/

It was solid. The Luke one was really good, he deserves a special honor somewhere for defending freedom of speech in this country. Flash one showed just how much he got fucked over; Lil Jon came off as a really smart guy who knows that he made chicken salad out of chicken shit. The Fat Joe one showed me a lot of stuff I wasn't aware of. 

And it was produced by Peter Rosenburg, who no matter what you think of him, loves the subject matter

• Like 1