DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I loved Bill Alphonso as the only ref who would enforce the rules in ECW and playing into Cactus Jack's anti-hardcore gimmick. 

"It is Cactus Jack's CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to be counted out if he wants to be!"

His part in the Pitbulls/Raven + Richards dog collar match (probably the best ECW match all told -- or at least, the best example of Heyman's six-ways-to-Sunday booking actually working) was great; yelling "You never beat Raven!" in sing-song voice at Tommy, then 911 comes out and finally shuts him up. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

in the spirit of Jordan Spieth getting disqualified from a golf tournament for signing the wrong scorecard, what would be the most ticky-tack reason to disqualify a wrestler during a match?

Buff Bagwell and Luger had feud where Buff kept getting these "cheap' wins one of which was over the top rope DQ (also the Headbanger lost to The New MX the same way around the same time)

8 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, it looked like you'd be getting crushed by a windmill on the loose.

should have lead to a natural feud with Don Quixote 

• Haha 1

Man, I can’t make any excuses for Meltzer anymore. I legit may just unsubscribe from the Observer because that shit is straight up embarrassing.

If you’re not aware he lied/was dumb and said at the Vegas thing for Mania that Rock and HHH filmed a segment challenging each other to a match, but they “shelved” it and it leaked.

Except, none of that happened. He’s referring to the face to face HHH and the Rock had on SmackDown almost 10 years ago to tease a final match or something between them.

I’m not sure what’s more embarrassing - that or the Shibata thing. But one thing is for sure, his writing and thought process are way worse now. I know the joke is that he’s on the spectrum and he might be, but he’s also in his early 60s. He should be sharper than this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, zendragon said:

(also the Headbanger lost to The New MX the same way around the same time)

then there was the time that the Cornette team took an intentional DQ so that Jim could have 5 minutes with an unconscious babyface which I think was with the heel Rock'n'Roll

• Haha 1

I just remembered this story from the ECW "unauthorized" book. Apparently Fonzie broke his arm in the ring, and either to keep the commission from getting mad at them or trying to get some money in a lawsuit (or both), I dunno, but he ran to a grocery store and pulled a bunch of cans over top of him and claimed he slipped. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just remembered this story from the ECW "unauthorized" book. Apparently Fonzie broke his arm in the ring, and either to keep the commission from getting mad at them or trying to get some money in a lawsuit (or both), I dunno, but he ran to a grocery store and pulled a bunch of cans over top of him and claimed he slipped. 😆

I listen to a classic R&B and soul station in Philly and 60% of the ads are for ambulance chaser lawyers and all I can think of is Fonzie doing that and then saying “Call Top Dog Law”!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Tommy Young just won the Masters, Wahoo looks pissed, Stunning Steve is happy to be there, Curt Hennig is grinning because he roofied both of Steve’s beers.

So that's how he lost his hair.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, I can’t make any excuses for Meltzer anymore. I legit may just unsubscribe from the Observer because that shit is straight up embarrassing.

If you’re not aware he lied/was dumb and said at the Vegas thing for Mania that Rock and HHH filmed a segment challenging each other to a match, but they “shelved” it and it leaked.

Except, none of that happened. He’s referring to the face to face HHH and the Rock had on SmackDown almost 10 years ago to tease a final match or something between them.

I’m not sure what’s more embarrassing - that or the Shibata thing. But one thing is for sure, his writing and thought process are way worse now. I know the joke is that he’s on the spectrum and he might be, but he’s also in his early 60s. He should be sharper than this.

You left out the person at a house show taking a picture of the intermission displayed on the tron and passing it off to Dave as a new PPV being announced. That was GOLD I tell ya. 

Dave may have lost a step or two and his sources are damn near non existent compared to the past but he’s still more reliable then people like Hausman/Bix/Scherer and all the other wannabe TMZ style wrestling “journalists” out there. 

I personally blame whoever made him clean his office. 😉 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 8:25 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Mabel use to do the spin wheel kick, which use to looked very impressive especially if the enhancement talent took a killer bump. But after a while, he could barely get like an inch off the ground and it looks he just fell sideways really fast.

I need to see footage of his earlier ones. To me, it was always his "fall down and stick his leg in the air" move.

Curt Hennig/Steve Austin would have been an interesting tag team in 1993. Probably would have been good for Hennig’s body to work more tag matches.

On the other hand, that pairing would have probably gotten themselves into all sorts of wild shit.

• Like 1

I just had a Facebook memory from when Vis died and my post said that he looked pretty agile in his recent All Japan work? Wonder if he did the kick. 

You know Curt couldn't have stopped himself from taking those bumps. If it started to hurt he'd probably just dive into the medical fanny-pack. 

6 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

You left out the person at a house show taking a picture of the intermission displayed on the tron and passing it off to Dave as a new PPV being announced. That was GOLD I tell ya. 

Dave may have lost a step or two and his sources are damn near non existent compared to the past but he’s still more reliable then people like Hausman/Bix/Scherer and all the other wannabe TMZ style wrestling “journalists” out there. 

I personally blame whoever made him clean his office. 😉 

SRS is pretty good for the most part. The other guy that works for PWI, the one that doesn't own the site, isn't bad. The rest though? Yeesh.

On 2/18/2024 at 12:37 AM, For Great Justice said:

Remembering when Big Show lost that tables match by accidentally stepping through one. Tag rope and closed fist are also good ones. 

Was it Dax that said that in the WWE rule book there’s actually a rule about a maximum number of pin breakups in tag matches (I want to say 2?)? Has that ever been called?

There was an IYH in late 95 where Razor and the Kid faced the Gunns for the tag titles. Finish was Razor had one beat, Kid insisted on tagging in, gets nuked, and Razor gets DQd for breaking up the pin too many times.

I love that finish. Progressed the story really well and I don't know why they haven't recycled it beyond the requirement of retconning a rule not enforced for thirty years back into existence.

• Like 3

I think you are confusing two matches. The too much saving DQ was the first one on  Superstars and we got the rematch where Razor has the match won, Kid wants in, gets rolled up and pinned and turns heel afterwards. That was the PPV match. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I need to see footage of his earlier ones. To me, it was always his "fall down and stick his leg in the air" move.

I am in early 1995 (the week Eddie Gilbert passes away matter of fact since today is the anniversary) and yeah, that essentially is what it is now.

I would say when they first come in, they clearly have a template for M.O.M. Mo starts the match and does whatever he can do, which honestly ain't much. Then like a minute later, he tags in Mabel and Mabel streamrolls the jobber for a minute. The big highspot is the kick. That or he will break out like a dropkick or something unusual for a guy his side. At some point, they tried to change it up when they had to be against real teams by having Mo come in and tried to play babyface in peril. Mabel is too big and moves around too slow for a hot tag. I am a year and a half into their WWF run, and he's already much slower than when they first came in. I have no idea how the decision was made for him to win King of the Ring unless they genuinely believe their pops weren't just strictly based on Oscar's raps and the one or two well placed nice spots in squash matches early on.

• Like 2