DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You cannot make fun, bad movies anymore. The closest we've come is the F&F franchise, but those have lost the plot and become derivative. 

Not if you want to be released into theatres, anyway. Plenty of cheese goes direct to home release! (This is where I say that I really enjoyed Self Reliance, even adjusting for Hulu Original quality.)

• Like 1

I think a portion of Rock's success is perpetually sustained by the perception of his success; he gets the benefit of the doubt to try again when something falls short. He promotes/markets himself 24/7 and endlessly pivots around (production company! moar movies! ownz a football league!) to keep the appearance that it's all a raving success; and to be fair, enough of it succeeds to keep him in the press and his net worth growing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I think a portion of Rock's success is perpetually sustained by the perception of his success; he gets the benefit of the doubt to try again when something falls short. He promotes/markets himself 24/7 and endlessly pivots around (production company! moar movies! ownz a football league!) to keep the appearance that it's all a raving success; and to be fair, enough of it succeeds to keep him in the press and his net worth growing.

At this point, that's all major celebs outside of maybe Taylor Swift and the Kardashians. 

Look at 50 Cent. After his film career stumbled when he transitioned from hip hop to acting, he had a long time where everything he touched turned to shit. Everything. The man lost a crazy amount of weight for a film that ended up being some made for tv film that went nowhere. Then, he was getting sued for everything under the sun and a bunch of paternity suits. He probably lost out on several millions going through that. It looked like it was over even though he had a liquor brand, a boxing promotion that lasted maybe nine months btw, ThisIs50.com, this thing over here, this thing over there, and had money from the Vitamin Water deal. Then, the show Power hits big on Starz and this motherfucker is now doing spinoffs of spinoffs of spinoffs. You can literally fail at 90% of what you're doing and the remaining 10% save your ass.

• Like 4

The key to all of this is, funny enough, really really simple. 

People like Rocky. 

He seems like a nice guy, he's sexy, he's well-spoken, he seems funny and happy. He has the public's goodwill, and that is worth more than any successful venture, and something you cannot buy. 

• Like 6

I was reading an old DVDVR while eating my lunch (chili and wheat crackers with peanut butter, if you must know) and Schneider reminded me of the old SUWA diss about the smooth-chested, high-flying prettyboys of Dragon's Gate that he denigrated as "social dance wrestling". 

What would you consider "social dance wrestling" these days? New Japan has seemingly burned into every workrate guy a modicum of stiffness, or at least the necessity of being able to throw a chop and a forearm that connect properly. (Well, maybe not forearms.) Is the new social dance the work of guys like Hijo del Vikingo and Komander?

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What would you consider "social dance wrestling" these days? 

That's interesting. One of the reasons I stopped watching New Japan is the endless counter and counter-counter sequences that seem to make up the majority of their high spots, they always seem more like a dance than wrestling to me

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The key to all of this is, funny enough, really really simple. 

People like Rocky. 

He seems like a nice guy, he's sexy, he's well-spoken, he seems funny and happy. He has the public's goodwill, and that is worth more than any successful venture, and something you cannot buy. 

Also gotta admit that he has had one of the lower drama divorces you'll ever see from a famous person, to the point that he's working with his ex-wife pretty regularly. So he made it through one potential minefield without damage

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At this point, that's all major celebs outside of maybe Taylor Swift and the Kardashians. 

Look at 50 Cent. After his film career stumbled when he transitioned from hip hop to acting, he had a long time where everything he touched turned to shit. Everything. The man lost a crazy amount of weight for a film that ended up being some made for tv film that went nowhere. Then, he was getting sued for everything under the sun and a bunch of paternity suits. He probably lost out on several millions going through that. It looked like it was over even though he had a liquor brand, a boxing promotion that lasted maybe nine months btw, ThisIs50.com, this thing over here, this thing over there, and had money from the Vitamin Water deal. Then, the show Power hits big on Starz and this motherfucker is now doing spinoffs of spinoffs of spinoffs. You can literally fail at 90% of what you're doing and the remaining 10% save your ass.

He also had that snow shoveling grift during a blizzard. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also gotta admit that he has had one of the lower drama divorces you'll ever see from a famous person, to the point that he's working with his ex-wife pretty regularly. So he made it through one potential minefield without damage

Apparently, Dany is the brains of the operation. So yeah, if he didn't want that smoke, he more than likely did the right thing. 

8 hours ago, Log said:

I feel like The Rock practices smiling.

I feel like in light of stuff like Hulk choking out a coked up Richard Belzer, probably the best thing Rock did is make wrestlers not come off as uncultured swine. As much as I don't like respectability politics aspect of it, that's keeping the pipeline open to make income outside of wrestling. Hell, going back to Freelance for a second, the reviews I did read were like, "God, John Cena is better than this." or "Man, I wish John Cena chose better scripts." That's a marked improvement over just hating wrestlers in general and not wanting them to appear in anything.

• Like 3

for the first ~5 years of his Hollywood stint, i couldn't watch the Rock in anything, because i could only see him as "THE ROCK". he was too much the wrestler. It helped that all those family movies that he did looked like trash ("the Tooth Fairy"? really?) so it was easy to dismiss. Then slowly, he'd show up in bit parts that were enjoyable (the aforementioned "Other Guys" being my favorite). 20 years on, he has made his entire personality out to be "THE ROCK". since it's not so closely associated with wrestling, i don't have that stigma anymore.

Now, i just don't watch his movies because they don't appeal to me. But we really took the long way to circle back to the same result. 

• Like 3

I was a Rock fan 97-03 but never followed him to Hollywood and his other ventures.  Not a fan of the big, dumb action movies (never seen a F&F) or kid oriented comedies.  The type of "bad" movies I like aren't the type he does, and he doesn't seem interested in doing things like Blade Runner 2049 or The Man With the Iron Fists, both of which I would have seen even if Dave Bautista wasn't in them

For Dwayne I think I've only seen Faster, Southland Tales (because I felt I had to) and Get Smart.  I liked Faster, thought he was solid in it.  I like the old Get Smart TV show and that movie had a good cast, enjoyed it for what it was.  I suppose I should check out Be Cool someday but whenever I'm contemplating it on a streaming service I end up watching something else

On 2/11/2024 at 3:37 PM, odessasteps said:

He was good in Be Cool, right? But not the star. Are those Jumanji movies at least cool for what they are? 

He should've been. Elmore Leonard literally wrote the character to be Dwayne.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I suppose I should check out Be Cool someday but whenever I'm contemplating it on a streaming service I end up watching something else

Best to just look for a compilation of his scenes, because the movie is fucking awful.

• Like 1

Rock really is by miles and miles the best part of Be Cool. Jumanji is fun. It's not gonna be mistaken for high art, but it's entertaining from minute 1 until the end. Everyone in those movies is swinging for the fences. It's the goodest of shit. 

• Like 3

Be Cool stinks. Terrible adaptation, and I'm not saying that films that are adapted from books need to be direct adaptations every time. They turned Rock's character from a badass dude who just happened to be gay to a camp gay character. 

I'm not a huge Elmore Leonard guy (at least as a novel writer), but come the hell on with that adaptation. 

Regarding the Rock's likability, I think he was way more likeable as a pro wrestler than as a movie star. He hit the A-list and immediately got vaguely creepy like Tom Cruise has seemingly been his whole life. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

I think the thing that is off-putting about Rock is that he wants you to know just how charitable he is. He can’t do a good deed without a camera being present.

This is like a conundrum. How do you know he isn't doing good deeds off camera? Is he doing pushing sickly children out of wheelchairs in the interim.

Yeah, fuck them kids. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, fuck them kids. 

I disagree. Kids are our future

*”wow, that @Octopus sure is nice”

*”bold, yet empathetic take by the Octo.”

*”what a good and emotionally intact person that Octopus is”

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not if AI kills them all.

Then they’d be AU - Artificial Unintelligence

*”he says what we’re all thinking but too afraid to say”