DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/31 - 2/6/2024 - Ranking in the Dark

If it weren't for Cody talking himself out of a Mania main event, we'd really be focusing a lot more on Adam Cole masterminding a year long plan to take the AEW World Title.....and give it to someone else, so him and his friends can focus on taking the midcard title from Orange Cassidy and feuding with The Best Friends.

13 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

If it weren't for Cody talking himself out of a Mania main event, we'd really be focusing a lot more on Adam Cole masterminding a year long plan to take the AEW World Title.....and give it to someone else, so him and his friends can focus on taking the midcard title from Orange Cassidy and feuding with The Best Friends.

Chugs is great at making bonehead plays.

Another excellent Rampage! Privates v Flights was a nice improvement on their first encounter. This is the first time in awhile that I thought: Zay might be a player one day. Quen looked a lot better here, and I'm feeling ready for an upset Top Flight title win. I'm not suggesting this was blowaway, but it was solid fun. Sammy promo was his usual babyface corniness. They really want you to know that he's a new father. Symathize AEW fanbase! Karen Jarrett's crew promo was alright. I'm interested. Bill/Starks v DOs was fun. Easily my favorite title defense thus far. Hobbs/Callis promo was excellent. Not unlike Christian, Callis promos (and commentary) feel like a gift. Powerhouse has 3 to Sammy's 1, so forget about cheering the Tongue Waggler. Queen v Willow was a good solid TV bout. Love the Queen, love the Willow! I thought AEW v CMLL was also good solid fun. The AEW job squad provided a great showcase for the Luchardoes. I sense Mascara Dorada (2) will be All Elite at some point. Really good solid TV show. Renee is so great, and her promo segments make the show feel so much more alive. Very good Rampage baby! 

11 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Why are they seemingly feuding with just the Best Friends, anyway? Didn't the Acclaimed-Bullet Club Gold thing start because they both wanted a piece of United Kingdom? But instead of uniting to face their common enemies, they've united to... do what, exactly?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Didn't the Acclaimed-Bullet Club Gold thing start because they both wanted a piece of United Kingdom? But instead of uniting to face their common enemies, they've united to... do what, exactly?

Hold titles, the aim of every professional wrestler.

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Why are they seemingly feuding with just the Best Friends, anyway? Didn't the Acclaimed-Bullet Club Gold thing start because they both wanted a piece of United Kingdom? But instead of uniting to face their common enemies, they've united to... do what, exactly?

At least by contrast Hangman being put through a car windshield and deciding "ehh I'll focus on the world title instead" seems to make sense.

Man, Bryan vs Hechicero was beautiful pro wrestling. Too bad the ref almost screwed up the finish as that *briefly* took me out of the trance I was in,  but the match itself was *so* cool. Nice creative variations and counters and even some nifty stuff I have never seen before! Just the pure joy of "pro wrestling as an art."

The whole first hour just flew by! A 90's Japan style slugfest, a technical masterpiece, then a fun Outrunners match! My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. 

Then we got TWO women's matches! 

It seems like the new AEW singles TV match template is that the winner is a foregone conclusion but the wrestler who is going over is going to bump and sell so hard for their opponent that there's going to be some moments where we almost believe it's going to be an upset. I am fine with that. It leads to some pretty entertaining matches. 

And it looks like Matt is going to get Christian vs Garcia! The rest of us are going to get that, too, but Matt specifically asked for it.

Speaking of getting what we ask for: Congratulations, Bounty Hunter!

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 5

Collision is my A Show. Dope wrestlers having dope matches because that's what wrestlers should do. Hechicero got pyro. Tony Khan you were on the fuckin' ball tonight. Queen Fuckin' Aminata. Brian Fuckin' Keith. Two women's matches. The Garcia stuff is absolutely clicking. 

This was a DEAN episode.

• Like 9

Just now, Zimbra said:

Good job finally signing Bryan Keith, but the next step is to run Mike Jones his money to use Still Tippin.

You know how to get ahold of him!

That was a great episode. 

King/Keith was actually my least favorite Eddie match in awhile, because he just gave Keith soooooo much and it was all just Eddie's stuff. Chops, headbutts, a Tiger Driver... I know what they were going for, and that's making him look good and present the X Is All Elite photo and it's Texas too and yadda yadda. But not a very inventive match. 

And then afterwards was the wildly inventive Dragon/Hechicero match. Danielson finally looked not just matched but overmatched. He came in looking apprehensive, almost afraid, and it was deserved. Hechicero had his number at every damn second, turning offense into elaborate holds and reversals, sometimes straight out of midair. He even hit a HUGE mortal (that is the over-the-ropes dive, right?) as a nice pretty cherry on top. Bryan might have won (again) but his opponent is a made man. 

Clearly Serena and Aminata saw that and said "hold my beer" because they did as much tricked out stuff as possible and had a killer match. The Queen still needs a win on TV though, dammit. Meanwhile the Red Velvet match was over in a flash. 

Main was a really entertaining blueprint six-man tag. Every guy wrestled this so solidly it was as if they could perform it in their sleep. Given that it's an FTR match of course it went a couple beats longer than it should, but that's okay. Nick Wayne is evolving into quite the skeezy, skinny little creep of a wrestler, full of unearned arrogance. The super-irritating reverse stunner is so annoying he's probably keeping it on purpose. Give him some zebra print trunks and call him Ogawa. (P.S. This is hilarious. I looked up the Wiki to Ogawa and somebody from here got ahold of it. The descriptive paragraph reads: "Yoshinari Ogawa (小川良成, Ogawa Yoshinari) (born November 2, 1966) is a Japanese professional wrestler who currently works for Pro Wrestling Noah. He has earned the nickname of "Rat Boy" from the English-speaking Puroresu fanbase due to his sneaky, clever in-ring tactics and baiting his opponents into quick pins, as well as the disheveled, greasy appearance he cultivated during the late-90's.😆

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't recognize Mascara Dorada because he's got a different mask than this now

Reveal hidden contents

Not for nothing, but the mask in the pic is Mascara Sagrada, not Mascara Dorada. The original Mascara Sagrada spawned a bunch of lawsuits when he originally left AAA, as Peña claimed he owned the gimmick. They put other folks under the mask thru the years after that.

Mascarita Sagrada was the OG mini superstar, and had the same mask. When he left AAA he kept using the gimmick, but AAA put another guy under the mask who was damn good too.  By the mid-00s CMLL was looking to reboot their Mini division, and the replacement mini jumped to CMLL and was re-cristened "Mascarita Dorada". He was hugely popular, and when a young prospect out of Guadalajara named Gran Metalik was getting the call up to Mexico City, they introduced him as the full sized counterpart, Mascara Dorada.  Eventually the mini left to join WWE as Torito, and later the full sized version went to NJPW, and then WWE.

The current Mascara Dorada started off as Hijo del Panterita Del Ring - his father is longtime CMLL mainstay Ephesto, who used the "Panterita Del Ring" name early in his career.  When it was pretty obvious that Panterita was going to be a big star, CMLL brought Metalik back in for a short stint, and passed the Dorada gimmick over to him, as "Mascara Dorada 2.0". Almost immediately the "2.0" was dropped.  The current Dorada mask is virtually the same, except 2.0 has eyeholes, while the original had a solid mesh face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Mascara Dorada was actually Panterita del Ring Jr. first. It's worth mentioning because some of the last free CMLL episodes on YouTube were when Panterita Jr. was establishing himself as the new tecnico hotness, and people should look it up maybe.

This should and probably is leading up to a match where Claudio bases for Dorada. Like Claudio and YUTA vs Dorada and Hechicero. My God, man, the mere thought...

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

Just got back from the show. We had a fucking blast and it seemed like TK was genuinely appreciative of the response. Danielson/Hechicero was everything I hoped for and that's even with the janky finish.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Awesome show. Loved the all action opening going Kingston/BK to Bryan/Hechicero, both were epic. Glad to see Bryan Keith become ALL Elite, been an amazing couple months for him. 

Serena/Aminata was excellent. the Queen is on fire on every show. When the vignettes for Serena's return started, I definitely did not expect her to be coming back as a face but I love seeing it again. Huge fan of her previous face work. 

TWO women's matches, always love to see Vertvixen and another nice win for Red Velvet. Another fun trios main event ruled.

• Like 3

I only watched the first 2 matches tonight because I am up to my armpits in COVID and Like a Dragon, but those 2 matches were both fun as hell. Very glad to see Keith get signed as he's torn it up every time they've used him as a freelancer. 

I'd never seen Hechicero before, and holy shit. The people who've talked him up were not exaggerating. Also, I will always mark out for a Romero Special, one of my favorite submission holds because it looks silly and painful at the same time.

• Like 3

This was my first exposure to Hechicero and he didn't disappoint. It seemed like he had a counter to anything Danielson tried to throw at him on the mat and really made it look like Amdrag was in over his head. Team CMLL vs BCC trios match at the next PPV? It also made me wish they used Angelico more as I really want to see him and Danielson just tie eachother up for 10 minutes.

It's good Keith finally got signed. He's been a great workhorse over the past several weeks.

Speaking of people who need to get signed, Aminata put in the work once again. I wasn't expecting as competitive a match as that for Serena's comeback but it was good stuff.

The main event was fine but kind of by the numbers.

• Like 2