DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/29 - 2/4/2024 - Ice Ice Bayley

Honestly the only way to salvage this is if they do a redux of the Glock Anderson promo, just without, you know, the part where Arn says he would pull out his gun and blow a man’s brains out. That would be a wild turn in this story though to have Arn come out on Monday, do the promo of Cody getting soft, saying Cody would just roll over and just hope a carjacker wouldn’t hurt him, and talk some sense into Cody where Cody is like, yeah, fuck all this, fuck the Rock, I want that title, I want it at WM and no one is taking this away from me, and I’m done being the nice guy.

“No take backs” said whoever the Raw authority figure is.

Also I’ve read people acting like Cody’s gonna get his title match in Australia when nobody in this country is gonna be watching live.

Edit: I assume the scenario where Cody loses in Australia is the one where he works a bull rope match with Solo at WM

Edited by Cobra Commander

Getting lost in all this (justified) doomsaying is Bayley having a full-blown face turn on the show. She even wore white! (And of course, used the SILVER WRAPPING PAPER ROLL OF CRUSHING DISASTER to fend off her former teammates.)

So after a lot of reading this morning, yeah, this looks like a total power grab and ego stroking move. If you’re intent on doing the Rock vs Roman, then fine, but give people a better story for it than this. Not to mention, for the millionth time, Rock vs Roman doesn’t need to be for the title, it could be on night 1 or night 2, but whatever night it’s on you could still do Cody vs Roman on the other night for the title since Roman works like 10 matches a year. But instead we got Seth and his title getting buried, Cody getting cucked (and I really hate that fucking word but that’s the only one that fits), and shoehorning in Rock. I just think you could have done something better creatively if this wasn’t ego stroking and a power grab. And if I’m wrong and this is the best creative they could come up with then everyone in creative fucking sucks.

• Like 4

If people wonder why fans like me get pissed that AEW keeps shitting the bed, this is why. We don't want to watch this corporate half-wrestling nonsense in the hopes that Gunther or Drew make the show worth it but the other show is so chaotic and amateurish that it makes WWE look better by comparison. That sucks for everyone

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

And Solo wins that.  You thought nepotism was bad before, fuck Rock is gonna give us all his family all the time.

Jacob Fatu also now a free agent. Jacob Fatu being the Classic Coca Cola to Solo’s New Coke.

• Thanks 1

I’m sure that in the world of wrestling racial stereotypes, a Samoan has won a strap match by headbutting all four turnbuckles in succession.

More seriously, a Samoan Strap Match sounds like the sort of stip that maybe has never been done but could easily be interesting if both guys were willing to strap each other.

(If they’ve done a Samoan Strap Match, I’ve totally forgotten it)

For some reason I’ve found bullrope matches to be more consistently interesting than strap matches.

So Cody could continue the “second banana” thing by pledging to help the Rock by making sure Solo can’t interfere due to his injuries from a strap match. Before Solo interferes anyways. Or they debut Jacob Fatu despite his rap sheet.

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Getting lost in all this (justified) doomsaying is Bayley having a full-blown face turn on the show. She even wore white! (And of course, used the SILVER WRAPPING PAPER ROLL OF CRUSHING DISASTER to fend off her former teammates.)

I’ve already read people fat shaming Bayley. People fucking suck. Nearly perfect body, but yeah, let’s call her fat. Fucking incels.

• Like 4

Favorite part of the night was the Bayley/Damage Ctrl segment. As much as I will miss heel Bayley, this has gotten a decent build and is the Mania match I'm most looking forward to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Or they debut Jacob Fatu despite his rap sheet.

I think “the timing isn’t right” is a consistent problem for anybody with a felony in regards to their dreams.

But I don’t know if the last week has really helped Jacob Fatu’s chances of landing in the WWE. They’re probably gonna have to get their front office situation sorted out before they make a risky hire like a guy who can’t enter Canada.

In a world where Jacob Fatu is actually hired, they should roll him out like he’s gonna be another Roman ally. Only for him to attack Roman. Of course this plan is not happening with the current WM matchup.

But as I’ve said or joked before. They still haven’t done a Roman face run during all this.

I don't have much to add about how stupid and nonsensical this booking decision is. With Punk being injured they naturally have to re-book some stuff and I can also totally believe that Rock's involvement also has something to do with his new board position (and possibly to take some heat away from the Vince situation). Cody even bringing Rock into his corner makes sense in his desire to one-up Roman, but all you have to do there is have Cody say he arranged to have Rock as the guest ref to make sure none of their other family members are going to try anything funny. You can even have some intrigue about whether Rock is going to just double-cross Cody and side with his family. Then after Cody wins you can have Roman get in Rock's face to set up a Summerslam match if you really have to do that.

Or hell, maybe they're just going to do what Christian and Adam Cole have been claiming they're going to do and Cody says Rock is going to beat Roman for the belt and hand it over to him.

Edited by HumanChessgame

“The guest referee for this match will be one of your relatives”

*Roman nods confidently, not realizing this stip only narrows the pool of possible referees to 5000 people*

”It'll be Rock”

*Roman is unhappy, fans pop*

Anyways, Jacob Fatu replacing Brock Lesnar in all the “Brock Lesnar does this” storylines would be the rare time that Jacob Fatu would be the less problematic person in a trade off. Like Jacob Fatu just ends up abducting Heyman and making him his manager because he doesn’t understand why people think he’s a maniac.

Sorta like if Jacob Fatu was the Tuco Salamanca of the family (you can use this idea if you wanna, Gewirtz)

• Like 1

WWE is about to pivot away from conventional ratings for Raw. So live gate numbers/receipts is about to become more relevant for gauging fan interest than it has in years.

But once again, until proven otherwise, the fans who are really loud online aren’t as loud in person as they were 10 years ago/etc.

Looking at it cold, I obviously don't know if they are going to Rock vs Roman instead Cody vs Roman, but if they do, I would have less of issue with it if they booked it better.  I definitely get why they want to do it, especially with the Vince news hanging out there for awhile.   However, if you going to do it, why would you have Cody win the Rumble again?  The Punk injury probably ruined plans, but if Cody now has to step aside after winning the Rumble, it's just weird way to go about it even if they do a Cody vs Roman afterwards.  There were better ways to go about it, and Rock Vs Roman doesn't need the title in the background of it either.

I'm not invested in this as use to be so maybe that why I don't think Cody is getting a big raw end of deal as others seem to do (won 2 rumbles in a row, main eventing a few WrestleManias,now, could probably parlay this part timer takes my "spot" movement into becoming some type of  "People's Champ"  coincidentally with the audience, and he'll eventually get a title run barring something weird happening....not bad for an AEW original). Honestly they should just let him win last year anyway.  People arguing that this was grand plan for him last year should have known things can always change and I don't know if him losing actually improve the story between the two anyway.  It does make me think if a WrestleMania rematch (meaning ones that happen in consecutive Manias) has ever been as successful as the first feud/match.

Edited by _MJ_

28 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Looking at it cold, I obviously don't know if they are going to Rock vs Roman instead Cody vs Roman, but if they do, I would have less of issue with it if they booked it better.  I definitely get why they want to do it, especially with the Vince news hanging out there for awhile.   However, if you going to do it, why would you have Cody win the Rumble again?  The Punk injury probably ruined plans, but if Cody now has to step aside after winning the Rumble, it's just weird way to go about it even if they do a Cody vs Roman afterwards.  There were better ways to go about it, and Rock Vs Roman doesn't need the title in the background of it either.

They gave themselves a great out on Monday with Seth's promo only for what we got last night. That is probably what annoys me the most in terms of writing/booking.

Bayley/Iyo is an actual good example of long term story telling and 10 years of character development.

HHH playing the long game to get back at Cody for the throne-smashing thing is funny, though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

The Final Testament vs. Lashley/Profits brawl was short but fun while it lasted. Wish it went longer.

It was nice to see them pick up the plot thread of B-Fab talking to Lashley in the back for weeks. Now if we can only find out what Aldis's plans for Ashante are.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

WWE is about to pivot away from conventional ratings for Raw. So live gate numbers/receipts is about to become more relevant for gauging fan interest than it has in years.

But once again, until proven otherwise, the fans who are really loud online aren’t as loud in person as they were 10 years ago/etc.

Maybe because the shows have been better?