DVDVR Message Board

The Wall Street Journal Vince McMahon Thread.

Message added by jaedmc,

It's a gross story, don't stare too deeply into the abyss or it will stare back.

Also be adults and don't make us ban you.

Anyone who is outraged and screaming at the top of their lungs about the Rock ruining their story has made their choice already. Their story is the the more important thing. The company doesn't have to do anything to hold them. They're all on reddit and twitter already doing their best to shout down any news that comes out with "HE"S GONE alREADY!"

I've been listening to people speaking on the Vince thing today catching up on everything and people's takes on it and I'll be surprised if Bruce Prichard stays around even if he has no knowledge of what Vince did. I don't wish any of these that were ever in Vince's to have any knowledge of this scandal but I don't see a reason for Bruce to even be a prominent executive dictating what's on WWEs major 2020s over someone like Road Dogg or someone like that. I see HHH getting rid of him as long as he himself makes the cut of people that aren't tied to Vince's Scandal.

It's been though by most people that Hunter and Vince haven't been on the same page businesswise and even power plays between them over the past few years so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't as clued in directly to what was going on.

If Rock does the main event of Mania then that probably means he'll be staying heavily involved and showing up occasionally on TV. Rock vs Roman is a big main event but I don't think he would like the perception of being rejected on WWE biggest event of the year to the mainstream audience.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:56 PM, piranesi said:

Do you know how much I hate myself right now for knowing who the owner of XPW was?

Like that's messed up. I would not date a man who knew that.

I would not let anyone I know go on a date with a man who knows that.

I should get an out here, since I learned of him by working for a promotion he grabbed talent from.

7 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I've been listening to people speaking on the Vince thing today catching up on everything and people's takes on it and I'll be surprised if Bruce Prichard stays around even if he has no knowledge of what Vince did. I don't wish any of these that were ever in Vince's to have any knowledge of this scandal but I don't see a reason for Bruce to even be a prominent executive dictating what's on WWEs major 2020s over someone like Road Dogg or someone like that. I see HHH getting rid of him as long as he himself makes the cut of people that aren't tied to Vince's Scandal.

It's been though by most people that Hunter and Vince haven't been on the same page businesswise and even power plays between them over the past few years so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't as clued in directly to what was going on.

If Rock does the main event of Mania then that probably means he'll be staying heavily involved and showing up occasionally on TV. Rock vs Roman is a big main event but I don't think he would like the perception of being rejected on WWE biggest event of the year to the mainstream audience.

Esp after “being rejected” by DC movie fans, although not all his fault there

2 hours ago, Ace said:

2023 was an L year for Dwayne. His movie bombed, his awful tv show was cancelled, and XFLv3 lost 60 million dollars.

Black Adam was 2022.

His tequila brand Teremana made a ton of money last year so it wasn't an entire loss.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I heard someone say “imagine if Bruno was still around to hear all this.” 

lol the amount of stuff he probably saw in the 60's and 70's would be enough to make even Vince say, "hey come on guys, that's enough..."

59 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

lol the amount of stuff he probably saw in the 60's and 70's would be enough to make even Vince say, "hey come on guys, that's enough..."

IIRC, Bruno complained about Mel Phillips in the early 80s. 

47 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE has responded to Brock's involvement. They've discounted most of his merchandise:

https://shop.wwe.com/en/brock-lesnar/t-3422868583+z-909644-767091406

Gee, I hope one of my favourite wrestlers gets implicated in rape and sex trafficking allegations, then maybe I can score some of that sweet discounted merch.

Seriously, fuck this company.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Here's a great Twitter thread regarding how deep the company is involved in all of this 

Thanks for posting this. Disheartening to see how many people are just back to business as usual while this hangs over the company.

• Like 1

The first half hour of Kevin Nash's podcast today was about Vince, I think his take is close to what some of the older wrestlers and internal WWE people feel. It's a shitty response imo, very much not wanting to believe the lawsuit (which he hasn't read), inferring that it's just for the money, and refusing to condemn Vince too much because of all the things Vince did for him including reaching out when Nash' son died. Obviously he's big pals with HHH and backs him up too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74TbU6j5mjA&ab_channel=KliqTHIS

I think that's what he says anyway, dude mumbles so much I rewound a few sections and still couldn't quite make out where he was landing on things

• Sad 1

I think there is going to be a lot of crossover in general with folks who worked for Vince at certain time period. I mean I heard both podcasts covering it for Jeff Jarrett and Shane Douglas. Both were very, very careful about choosing their words (Jeff more than Shane). However, they're still leaving room for Vince not to have done it or at least not have committed all the alleged acts within the lawsuit. So yeah, their views may be a little bit warped.

I think one dividing line is:

Old time carnies/Stockholm syndrome survivors who want to keep the door open for "ONE MORE RUN IN NEW YORK BROTHER," who either think Vince could still return or love him so much they can't say anything bad about him.

VS

Guys like Lance Storm who have two functioning brain cells to rub together, don't need to ever go back there, and maybe have some morals.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think one dividing line is:

Old time carnies/Stockholm syndrome survivors who want to keep the door open for "ONE MORE RUN IN NEW YORK BROTHER," who either think Vince could still return or love him so much they can't say anything bad about him.

VS

Guys like Lance Storm who have two functioning brain cells to rub together, don't need to ever go back there, and maybe have some morals.

I think the one more run thing is over. If they were of a certain age (45 or younger), then yes. However, in my mind, it's the innate we need to defend the institution of wrestling from outsiders that's always been prevalent with the previous generations. I feel like if it was anyone notable other than Vince, it would get the same reaction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I seriously doubt anything happens to Nick Khan or Ari Emmanuel. Well, maybe Nick Khan, but Ari isn't going anywhere. I'd be willing to bet that whatever Vince did, Ari has done, seen, or knows of way, way, WAY fucking worse stuff and has paid people to clean up those messes.

Of course, who knows if anyone speaks out against Ari.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Here's a great Twitter thread regarding how deep the company is involved in all of this 

I read the lawsuit, too. One of my many reporting jobs was to go through complaints (the first step in a lawsuit) — none of them related to anything close to this, but similar. To just run a little counter to Trevor (I have no idea who he is):

1) Including the WWE in the lawsuit is not surprising. The woman worked for the WWE and says she was harassed in the capacity of her employment at WWE.

2) You have to take anything that is in a lawsuit with some degree of skepticism. The basics of a complaint are “file as many things as possible with some of the evidence you have because chances are a judge is going to narrow a lot of this down or negotiated away because that is how the American Justice system works.”

There’s a lot in this lawsuit that came with actual proof (snippets of text messages) and that a woman put her name in public where she is stating as fact the most degrading things a person can have had happen to them — and you wouldn’t do that (or have a lawyer sign off on it) unless you can back up that it really happened to you.

But the things about who knew what in the WWE corporate hierarchy that’s alleged is something you really do need to take with a grain of salt.

EX: I am pretty sure it is in the lawsuit and not something in the media (I can’t check right this second), but the victim claims the WWE didn’t reach out to her when conducting its own internal investigation. Would the WWE — being looked at by the SEC for Vince’s payoffs along with Vince and who knows who else internally facing a criminal investigation and in the midst of a potential giant corporate merger while shopping around a billion media rights deal — be that stupid to not follow all of the internal investigation stuff to the letter of the law? Or, more accurately, would the very expensive law firm they hired to conduct the investigation put their reputation at risk to help out a wrestling company?
Because lawyers are the ones who handle those types of investigations, which they then present to the board (or a select committee of board members, but usually the internal committee tells the whole board) for the board to consult. 

So, please, let this unfold. Don’t speculate names as to who knew what. We don’t know. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Of course, who knows if anyone speaks out against Ari.

If there's even remotely anything (edit: usable/actionable) there, I gotta imagine it would've come out at the height of the Weinstein story (or any number of other similar incidents)

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1