DVDVR Message Board

The Wall Street Journal Vince McMahon Thread.

Message added by jaedmc,

It's a gross story, don't stare too deeply into the abyss or it will stare back.

Also be adults and don't make us ban you.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Andy didn't gain 60 pounds of muscle on the Yankees. It'd be a hell of story if he did.

Oh, I just meant the "I used PED's to recover" excuse. Seems like his name never gets brought up with the rest of those guys...

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Oh, I just meant the "I used PED's to recover" excuse. Seems like his name never gets brought up with the rest of those guys...

Although it's probably one of the factors keeping him from the HOF.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was thinking about this earlier. Suppose Triple H, Nick Khan, and Bruce Pritchard are forced out because of all this. Especially Triple H's role of head of creative, who would take over for him? 

38 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Although it's probably one of the factors keeping him from the HOF.

That and his teammate was Roger Clemens.

In the words of Katt Williams mocking Clemens on his stand up special, "Senator! Senator! I was NEVER on steroids!....I just got bigger and stronger the older I got...."

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I was thinking about this earlier. Suppose Triple H, Nick Khan, and Bruce Pritchard are forced out because of all this. Especially Triple H's role of head of creative, who would take over for him? 

Jeremy Borash? You know in baseball it used to be that the manager was the one who had seen the most baseball and therefore knew what to do in every situation. But with so many games being televised that’s no longer the case. Like wise at one point the booker of a territory had seen the most wrestling , but with so much wrestling out there to learn from I don’t think it’s that hard

23 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I'd put money on Pritchard going. He seems the most likely of the three to have been complicit in some way.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In the words of Katt Williams mocking Clemens on his stand up special, "Senator! Senator! I was NEVER on steroids!....I just got bigger and stronger the older I got...."

Roger Clemens and Cedric the Entertainer should probably start a support group for folks affected by Hurricane Katt Williams.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

We were wondering what would have happened if this had come out when Linda was still in the cabinet. 

Based on how below the radar she was those four years, the response would probably be, “Linda is in the cabinet?”

Then her boss would screech about fake news and our gutless news media would move on to the next controversy or shiny object.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Maybe you’ve stumbled upon why Double J has been so careful to be uncritical.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It used to drive me crazy that Mark McGwire's jsutification was something like "As I got older I was a smarter better hitter so it wasn't fair that I wasn't as fast and strong at the same time so I could be my true self."

MF that is why the game is hard. By the time you get smart at it you aren't young and strong anymore. Every single person lives that in and out of sports. Can you imagine if Ali was as fast in 1979 as he was in 1965? NO ONE gets to do that. That's the point.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Roger Clemens and Cedric the Entertainer should probably start a support group for folks affected by Hurricane Katt Williams.

He affected a lot of comics at clubs who had to sit through his five-hour-long wind gusts.

3 minutes ago, piranesi said:

It used to drive me crazy that Mark McGwire's jsutification was something like "As I got older I was a smarter better hitter so it wasn't fair that I wasn't as fast and strong at the same time so I could be my true self."

MF that is why the game is hard. By the time you get smart at it you aren't young and strong anymore. Every single person lives that in and out of sports. Can you imagine if Ali was as fast in 1979 as he was in 1965? NO ONE gets to do that. That's the point.

Who was the player who lied to the press and said he just took Creatine?  I always got a kick out of that.

59 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I don't know if that support group can find a building strong enough to stay standing in a Kattegory 5 hurricane.

• Haha 2

Ooooof... It has been a while since there was such a news event in wrestling... 

This whole thing is awful. In retrospective, a lot of stuff seems to form a pattern... Rita Chatterton, the lady in the tanning salon (I don't remember if the name came out), now Mrs. Grant... There are a few weird things that even made air and make me question a lot... Hell, even the infamous thread (you know that one) on these forums - well, one of the predecessors - had some weird reference to a Brock & Vince & Sable triangle. 

In a perfect world, Vince would be off as bad or worse as he was in his childhood and youth. I hope the victims will get closure and will be able to move on. 

As for the handling of the the situation during the media Scrum / Press Scrum. Triple H was bad. I'm not sure if he was as bad or worse as Tony Kahn, but he was bad. I for one think it was believable that he didn't read the lawsuit. But saying "This is a fluent situation. What we heard regarding the allegations is shocking, but it's impossible to comment on the situation as of right now." could have worked imo. Much like the Jericho stuff, I just feel like there is tons of red flags going off. 

As for criticism towards Cody Rhodes: I can't get on board with that. I think this was the best he could say in the circumstances and in his position. You can disagree and you can want him to go "Fuck that old perv, I hope he keels over dead and goes to hell where he learns No means yes himself!", but that is not going to happen. Never, anywhere with anybody regarding anything at a presser. 

55 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Maybe you’ve stumbled upon why Double J has been so careful to be uncritical.

I was going to name this guy seriously as a candidate before I got distracted on PEDs but since you threw the alley-oop:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Ooooof... It has been a while since there was such a news event in wrestling... 

This whole thing is awful. In retrospective, a lot of stuff seems to form a pattern... Rita Chatterton, the lady in the tanning salon (I don't remember if the name came out), now Mrs. Grant... There are a few weird things that even made air and make me question a lot... Hell, even the infamous thread (you know that one) on these forums - well, one of the predecessors - had some weird reference to a Brock & Vince & Sable triangle. 

I've been thinking about some of the toilet humor thats made the air. Stuff like the Rock Bottom onto the dog poop and DX dropping shit on The Spirit Squad

• Like 3

3 hours ago, piranesi said:

I watched the Ken Burns doc on Ali on PBS last year or the year before. The first two or three episodes cover Ali up to when he had to take the three year forced break and got his titles stripped for refusing to go to Vietnam. People don't understand the sheer force of nature that Ali was in terms of speed and footwork in the ring prior to his return in 1970 to fight Jerry Quarry. Ali doing that at his age was unfair let alone if he could do it as an old man. The only people that I saw in my lifetime even close that I remember was first off Floyd Mayweather when he was junior lightweight, lightweight, and junior welter. However, he didn't have the power. I mean he hit Gatti like 170 times clean to the head and body. If he had true power, he would have put him in a coma that he ultimately never comes out of. Young Roy Jones Jr. until he turned 28 or 29 had speed and power, but between the James Toney, Virgil Hill, and Reggie Johnson fights, he was fighting a NYPD cop who even his co-workers thought he was gonna get destroyed (Richard Frazier), guys whose best quality in boxing is they survived getting shot multiple times (IIRC Bryant Brannon), and ex-sparring partners (Lou Del Valle) among other no hopers. Sweet Pea Whitaker is in the conversation but Pernell played with his food and carried a lot of dudes he could have easily stopped. I mean the dude got unfortunately hooked on crack cocaine and alcohol around this time, but he still managed to come back and knock out Diosbelys Hurtado when he was down on all the judges' scorecards. Then, the next fight after that, he got robbed against De La Hoya.

Prime Sugar Ray Leonard was a bit before my time, but he would be close as well. However, his prime was very short due to the detached retina. He wasn't really the same guy when he came back in 1984. He also wasn't the same guy when he came out of retirement again to fight Hagler. However, before that, he was a fighting machine on the level of his namesake Ray Robinson. People only think about the comeback in the first Hearns fight. He made the great Wilfred Benitez look silly to win his first title. Before that, he absolutely demolished another top prospect (and Diana Ross' good friend), the Marvin Gaye managed Andy "The Hawk" Price. He slept Dave 'Boy' Green in one of the most brutal KOs of all time. He legit beat a prime Duran and probably the only one who could say that with serious merit even if Duran made excuse after excuse in the decades since. So yeah, maybe Leonard is the closest in terms of that. Otherwise, it's like prime Muhammad Ali was from a different dimension.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I've been thinking about some of the toilet humor thats made the air. Stuff like the Rock Bottom onto the dog poop and DX dropping shit on The Spirit Squad

In addition to, Eddie Guerrero using a sewage tank on The Big Show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I literally just watched a Dark Side of the Ring episode where Jim Ross said "anything with puke, taking a dump or piss was big with Vince" which was obvious already but stood out even more since last week. My mom was at the Spirit Squad poop show and said it didn't smell like real poop at least

• Like 2

Vince did famously “wet himself” on camera when Austin pulled the bang gun on him. 

id still put Trish barking like a dog and getting covered in dirty mop water in the all time bottom five humiliations on WWF tv. 

• Like 4

By this point, it would almost be a shocker if Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler didn't end up signing NDAs to leave the company, wouldn't it? (guess the main factor in favor of "no NDA" would be if they weren't actively doing that in the 2000s).

I was about to say that Torrie/Stacy got put into a worse situation because the WWF bought their company but then I went to Wikipedia and somehow WCW cut Torrie Wilson at the end of 2000 because of course they did.