DVDVR Message Board

The Wall Street Journal Vince McMahon Thread.

Message added by jaedmc,

It's a gross story, don't stare too deeply into the abyss or it will stare back.

Also be adults and don't make us ban you.

2 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Think of how shitty yet wild the future Vince podcast with Conrad will be. 

Get Flair involved and we'll just get all this shit out  into the open.

19 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I saw 411mania included that quote randomly in a story about Khan, I'm not really sure what it's supposed to imply. Are we trying to say Nick Khan is complicit in the allegations because he sucked up to his boss after Vince played a power move? I think that's a little spurious

I don' think it's too much of a stretch to suggest it says a little something about one's character. We'll have to wait to find out who knew what, but a man in Nick's position certainly knew enough before this return.

55 minutes ago, Octopus said:

We need a beef jerky company with integrity and we need it NOW

Jack Links?

...wait.

Nevermind.

Clearly Beef Jerky is not the way.

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Wait, Stephanie McMahon? She who went on television after the first round of NDA discoveries and led the shitty careless WWE crowd in a thank you to Vince? Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5HEm9DMXU

People can be victims in some circumstances and predators/enablers in others. Vince himself was a victim of physical and sexual abuse as a child. In no way does it excuse his actions as an adult. It's possible to have sympathy for Stephanie for what she went through as a child (and given some of the long standing rumors out there...), but she isn't immune from consequences if she enabled Vince as an adult by doing clean-up work for him to stay in power.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

🙄

They've all made their choice. It was the expected one. A little window dressing and back to "doin the job."

But I'm glad this unfortunate and obviously isolated event had the silver lining of providing a small PR benefit (but without any eventual expensive "changes") to our proudest human meat jerky corporation. We at Slim Jim human meat products urge you all to sit back and enjoy your Wrestlemania moment...and hope and pray that another rich guy with ad dollars to spend doesn't decide to make a Wrestlemania moment with you! (but that's not our business. Our business is business and anything else would be crazy).

They made the smart play. That is all they are legally, and apparently morally or rationally allowed or expected to do. Clearly there was no other choice...for the stockholders...The system remains in the control of our most rational and professional leaders. Remember the system has not failed us. The fact that we eventually made this one evil man...um....retire? is proof that the system is operating as it should. Rape first...maybe retire in a few decades with millions and millions of dollars and no other consequences at all. that's just good business practice.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bruce Pritchard has had his head so far up Vince’s ass for so long, you can bet he knows who Vince has defecated on. He’d be one of the next motherfuckers out the door for sure if I was in charge.

• Like 1

I mean I get it with Slim Jim hopping back on. They probably have a very surface level understanding of - "According to the internet, that guy is the bad guy right? Make him gone and we're good." It's a low bar to jump over, but at least they were willing to do it. The rest of us are, understandably, like that It's Always Sunny gif of Charlie and the Conspiracy Board yelling "You don't know how deep this runs Slim Jim!"

I'm glad Vince is being taken out. I can't overlook the small victories.

But, like many of you, I need a little more. But that will have to come from someone else, and it's not some company who was just trying to get their product in front of some eyeballs. It needs to be a human being, and I know there's one somewhere in that fucking shit hole, and I just wish they'd say any thing.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Slim Jim might not be leading the people’s revolution but guess who is

yeah there might be a few people in/around the company using this opportunity to settle scores (not saying the score-settling is unjustified but)

Not to even come close to take Vince McMahon's side, but the irony is delicious that Ronda Rousey would say this considering Vince McMahon wanted her void of charisma on TV after her UFC career ended in the first place.

She's right but I hate that she's right. Fuck Vince McMahon and have Bruce Pritchard stay on his podcast where he argues with Conrad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I mean I get it with Slim Jim hopping back on. They probably have a very surface level understanding of - "According to the internet, that guy is the bad guy right? Make him gone and we're good." It's a low bar to jump over, but at least they were willing to do it. The rest of us are, understandably, like that It's Always Sunny gif of Charlie and the Conspiracy Board, "Yelling you don't know how deep this runs Slim Jim!"

I'm glad Vince is being taken out. I can't overlook the small victories.

But, like many of you, I need a little more. But that will have to come from someone else, and it's not some company who was just trying to get their product in front of some eyeballs. It needs to be a human being, and I know there's one somewhere in that fucking shit hole, and I just wish they'd say any thing.

It's frustrating. I feel like at one point in history people would have. But since maybe 1980 or so we have had three generations just swamped with the propoganda that "business" has nothing to do with morality or humanity. It's frankly more illegal  or will lead to your justifiable firing to do the "right" thing in almost any situation because "the right thing" would violate your fiduciary legal obligation to maximize growth for your stockholders.

People have gotten so good at thinking like that, and so much of those decisions is filtered through just paperwork...no people, just papers, numbers. People who are fucked over by other people pulling levers at other companies will, without even a thought of dissonance, pull levers on other people because "that's the job." and to question that apparently makes you insane. Because those business rules overrule everything else. Why? Because it's somehow ordained by some God somewhere that anything else is a violation of business logic.

So it's not even a hard choice. They make it sound so tempting "your professional obligations...be rational about this...real jobs are at stake. that's real jobs...those rapes that's moralist abstractions...but these spreaadsheets aren't going to balance themselves!!!!!"

So of course everyone nods their head. To do anything else would mark you as obviously insane. So march on, Slim Jim soldiers. March on WWE SUPESTARS! You're the real heroes!!!!!!

The Man-Consuming Moloch Machine of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" (1927) :  r/ClassicHorror

Getty images of SLim Jims being manufactured.

I think there was a movie about this. It was called Drag me to Hell. It was about some low level bank employee that got what she earned and how in the end no one at the bank cared and no one else cared that she did "the job right."

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Bruce Pritchard has had his head so far up Vince’s ass for so long, you can bet he knows who Vince has defecated on. He’d be one of the next motherfuckers out the door for sure if I was in charge.

I don't think it's implausible that Bruce, especially at his age, knows this is his last go round in wrestling and tries to stick it out for a golden parachute. Moreover, Bruce has pretty much said that Vince has built his legacy on plausible deniability. Thing is, whether he knows anything or not, a full regime changes requires a full regime change. Whether that keeps Paul in place, who knows? The only person who I consider safe is Nick Khan just cause and even then, Nick Khan will land somewhere the day after he eventually gets turfed. I mean I remember when Nick was one of Manny Pacquiao's agents right before Manny became a huge superstar. Manny fired him and he's done considerably well since then. For Bruce, who already had a bitter divorce with Boesch and never made up with him before Boesch died, seeing Vince go out like this has to be spirit breaking cause yes he was his lackey for so long.

Remove Ronda from this. For me, knowing Bruce has talked about Vince on STW and some of his borderline deviant behavior in a more humorous way on his own goddamn podcast, it's like dude don't you have a wife and daughters? Would you put them around Vince even though you in your heart feel like Vince is a decent enough guy on just a corporate level. He (Bruce) has always put his stake on "I'm one of the few people who actually knows Vince and can deal with him" like he's a maniac whisperer ala Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now. At some point, he has to realize that's not a good thing, right? This goes ESPECIALLY for now when he cannot deny anything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Vince using the “WWE Universe” branding on his exit statement feels like a solid reason to pivot off of that branding to whatever brandings they’ll use for the next era of WWE

This is a really good point, especially considering how closely associated all the insistent terminology in the WWE is with Vince himself. Have your champs talking about belts as much as they possibly can...

• Like 1

Maneuver. Especially considering all the real-life maneuvers (and "maneuvers") he's performed over the years. 

So far Facebook has presented me, without my consent:

1. A photo from a wrestling page of the Bloodline laughing at someone, presumably female, tied to a ringpost covered in what appears to be shit, with "Vince", "Johnny Ace", the name of the victim, etc. typed out and imprinted over the different people in the photo. I don't know the context of the photo. It doesn't look like a photoshop. 

2. Somebody's drawing of Errol Flynn Mustache Vince grinning at a row of differently sized and shaped dildos on a table before him. Somebody put some time in on this one. 

So, right when wrestling reminds you it's partially produced by sociopaths, the fanbase pipes up and yells "WE ARE TOO!" right in your face. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Maneuver. Especially considering all the real-life maneuvers (and "maneuvers") he's performed over the years. 

So far Facebook has presented me, without my consent:

1. A photo from a wrestling page of the Bloodline laughing at someone, presumably female, tied to a ringpost covered in what appears to be shit, with "Vince", "Johnny Ace", the name of the victim, etc. typed out and imprinted over the different people in the photo. I don't know the context of the photo. It doesn't look like a photoshop. 

2. Somebody's drawing of Errol Flynn Mustache Vince grinning at a row of differently sized and shaped dildos on a table before him. Somebody put some time in on this one. 

So, right when wrestling reminds you it's partially produced by sociopaths, the fanbase pipes up and yells "WE ARE TOO!" right in your face. 

We have fully acclimated to the cruelty of our betters and revel in it for entertainment. These are the same people stamping a signature on denied insurance claims and putting them on the pile. The same people writing press releases for Nestle. all the way down to the same people calling single mothers to scream about the money they owe someone every night of their lives. The same people who get mad when they see a kid in school with a free lunch.

We're baked into the system even when we're home alone. They rely on everyone from the top down just doing the job and moving on. They took our hearts and souls because those were not monetizable and left us with just the jerky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I might just be done with wrestling. There’s so much rot in the whole industry from the people who run it to the people who watch it (everyone here is generally cool though). Maybe that’s too much but I haven’t been watching a lot lately anyway, maybe just stick to NJPW from now on, but it’s not like there probably isn’t stuff going on in Japan that’s terrible too. Just really hard to think about supporting the whole industry right now

• Like 1

Keep in mind that social media sucks and magnifies everything especially the negative stuff. Curt got those memes on FB, from who? Don't know. Could be from a meme farm or another entity that is not a wrestling fan and should not necessarily be taken as representative of the average wrestling fan

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 7

That's possible and/or wishful thinking. 

The good news is that I've got several people on there that I didn't know were wrestling fans posting pictures of Austin flipping off Vince, news articles, etc. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Did any of the people who covered up Weinstein's assaults and helped him get away with it for years ever face any consequences? Obviously Weinstein was the focal point for all of that, but I can't remember if anyone else was publicly spotlighted or faced any charges related to his crimes. 

• Like 1