DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/17 - 1/23/2024 - Hooked on a Feeling

What's with these great Rampage episodes recently? Opener and main event were both thoroughly entertaining and two matches in the middle were worth their time as well. Stokley, Lethal and Ruby all had their ongoing stories slightly advanced, so this was all in all very enjoyable.

Mox vs Taylor on Collision? Holy crap! There has been so many interesting "filler" matches recently, and it's really good direction.

If you want to feature someone, why not put them in the ring with someone interesting. Hangman vs Workhorseman for last Saturday, as a great example.

• Like 2

Just look at this 

Jon Moxley vs. Shane Taylor

Eddie Kingston & Ortiz vs. Bryan Danielson & Claudio Castagnoli

Daniel Garcia vs. Buddy Matthews

Adam Copeland open challenge

Thunder Rosa vs. TBA

Even the last two are interesting. We get the question of who is Edge gonna squash this time, which is probably gonna be somebody young and coming up. We also get to see if Rosa has any rust to work off and another question mark talent-wise. The other three are bound to rule. I'm excited! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

What's with these great Rampage episodes recently? Opener and main event were both thoroughly entertaining and two matches in the middle were worth their time as well. Stokley, Lethal and Ruby all had their ongoing stories slightly advanced, so this was all in all very enjoyable.

Mox vs Taylor on Collision? Holy crap! There has been so many interesting "filler" matches recently, and it's really good direction.

If you want to feature someone, why not put them in the ring with someone interesting. Hangman vs Workhorseman for last Saturday, as a great example.

I think AEW realized only the super-wrestling folks who want to see the wild world of wrestling are going to tune in regularly to Rampage, so gotta give the people what they want, and that means matches you don't get to see anywhere else, including Dynamite and Collision.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

I think AEW realized only the super-wrestling folks who want to see the wild world of wrestling are going to tune in regularly to Rampage, so gotta give the people what they want, and that means matches you don't get to see anywhere else, including Dynamite and Collision.

Yeah, we even got 2 women’s matches! I am fully in support of Rampage being the sicko show with more lucha and women’s matches.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Didn't he break his arm against Gedo doing that? Or was that the Shooting Star Press? I think the SSP was the arm break and the rana was him landing on his head, now that I think about it.

I couldn’t even remember who Penta wrestled until this morning.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Copeland open challenges have been great so far, especially loved the end of last week's match with Moriarty. Makes me wonder how many times we need to have "ex-WWE guy comes to AEW" and actually kicks some ass before the bad faith posters stop using that talking point... 

*insert J Jonah Jameson laugh gif here*

• Like 2

In ECW, Jericho used to do a Rana with both he and his opponent standing on the top rope. Which is degrees of difficulty harder (and more dangerous) than having them sit on the top turnbuckle like everyone else does it.

He did badly botch it once, both guys tumbled out to the floor. They were both fine though.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This was a tale of two shows for me. I didn't care about Jericho/Sydal, I could not possibly care less about a Penta match (and he immediately started to irritate me even though I wanted to watch it for the skinny Workhorseman), but then Queen Aminata came out and attempted to remove Statlander's head from her body using her ass. The kick as she was laying against the ropes was incredibly vicious too. And THEN, Darby and Jeff Harvey came out to knock everyone's dick in the dirt. The term that probably best describes the match is "kinetic". This was just two streams of violent energy smashing together or against anything else in their path. It was a trade-off of dominance back and forth based on the other guy just getting wrecked, with a nice, snug commercial break with Jeff trying to grind Darby down. And at the end he said "fuck the respect bump, this kid ain't taking my place, I'll get him another day. I'm out". 

But: old guys, amirite? 

PS Tomorrow's Collision is gonna RULE.

You nailed Darby v Jeff. 

Queen is on a run. She's had presence since the beginning, but it's starting to feel like she could make a mark. I like what they're trying with Stat/Stoke/Willow. I was into this show. Sydal v Jericho was the American version of Senior League Lucha. In a good way. Penta v Henry was a 'Perfectly fine' enhancement match. Very enjoyable Saturday morning wrestling show.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Coletti said:

The Copeland open challenges have been great so far, especially loved the end of last week's match with Moriarty. Makes me wonder how many times we need to have "ex-WWE guy comes to AEW" and actually kicks some ass before the bad faith posters stop using that talking point... 

Very into the Cope Open and Adam Copeland in general. Both bouts were good showcases for his opponents. The Griff match suggested he, Garrsion, may need an outside excursion. Moriarty, on the otherhand, is ready. And it clearly showed. It's nice knowing or assuming Copeland's a good enough sport that somebody is going to answer this challenge and defeat him. And make a name for themselves in the process. 

• Like 1

😄

Anyway, you could say Aminata is having a run, but she hasn't won anything on TV. And they aren't gonna let Rosa lose. I'd still love to see her in the match though, even if it's just interfering and getting in a feud with Rosa.

• Like 1

I ran into my first "Eddie Kingston isn't fast so therefor he sucks and is being carried" fans today in some discussions. It's amazing how poisoned some fans minds are by the "If the match isn't going 100 miles per hour it sucks" mindset.

Really enjoyed the opener and Murphy/Garcia. Murphy has been arguably the most under appreciated great wrestler of the last decade for me. 

• Like 3

Yep! Tony is still reading! We see you lurkin', Coach! 

- Mox/Taylor was pretty mean. It could have been a wash but Shane refused to stay down and kept turning the tables, very literally when he tried the lariat and had to spin and nail Moxley with a southpaw version, which was vicious. He definitely stood his ground and looked like a threat. Mox says "I am very very mad", I says "When aren't you?" Unfortunately nobody came out to challenge him. 

- Didn't watch a lot of Edge/Dante but what I did was alright (predicted this one too!). The spear out of the air was cool. Edge calling the crossface "the Grindhouse" is silly to me, very WWE, but not even they made anybody not say "crossface". Edge vs. Minoru Suzuki is something I don't think anyone ever thought about, asked for, wanted, imagined. But it's here, and I'm sure it is gonna be wild. 

- Rosa and Aminata was... well, it started pretty clunky. They were okay when they stopped trying to be all fast and elaborate and just laid into each other. After the strikes started coming it picked up. Rosa doesn't need to front-roll away from her opponents before turning around either, it's just unnecessary and doesn't look good. Basically: If you can only do it at half-speed, cut it out of the match. That goes for everything. 

- I am not interested in BCG without Juice but they had CARDBOARD JUICEY BOY!!! I am not interested in Acclaimed with or without anything so that segment was muted over here. Also ditched out on Roddy vs. Sydal, sorry guys. Did catch Sydal busting out a nice and impactful Meteora off the top. 

- Toni has rampant sexuality. Look out! 

- Buddy is in the top ten of "Most Obscenely Jacked Wrestlers" currently. Has to be. Who else is on there? Cage is probably #1 and we can go from there. Anyway, good good match with Garcia with Danny mostly getting eaten for lunch only to come back to the injured knee again and again as an exit strategy. As always, great selling from him. The end having a full-bore WWF locker-room-clearing brawl (which you never see anymore) was pretty old school and was a great way to hype up the Elimination Cage match. So, it's no tags? And just pinfalls or submissions? That sounds like it's gonna be hard to work actually. So many attempts are gonna be broken up in this match. 

- Poor, poor Ortiz. The super-hot St. Louis crowd was just ice cold for the man. He had all the heat in the world once upon a time but after the breakup, everything has been a distant memory. It doesn't help that he's only showed up like, once for a match since then, of course, but still. They need to do some vignettes with him and Eddie or something, try and get some love back. Danielson played the prick again by basking in his glory (apologies to Bobby) just to irritate Kingston and Claudio turning his back and sitting on the apron when King got on the buckles to do the same was priceless. Revving up the machine gun chop to Full Kobashi was nice but next time I want that spinning reverse chop. Torturing Eddie by holding him there while Ortiz was trapped and then SPITTING IN HIS FACE means this ain't over. Eddie is like the last guy you'd ever want to spit at. I'm surprised he even went for that. 

• Like 5

Aminata is on fire, loved her matches on ROH, Rampage, and Collision this week. She's hit the cycle in 2024 with all 3 shows plus Dynamite first. Wish she won on Rampage to build up a little to this. Thought Thunder looked good in her first singles match back.

Mox/Taylor was good stuff.  The Cope Open rules and Copeland/Suzuki will be awesome. 

FTR/Garcia vs House of Black in mini-war games sounds epic!

Bang Bang Scissor Gang!

Fun main event, sounds like Bryan coming after the Continental Championship, more Bryan/Kingston is always good. 

• Like 3

My only complaint about tonight's Collision is The Righteous being apart of the FTGarcia-HOB pull apart. Why would they care about order? Splendid show otherwise.

• Like 4

From what I was able to watch tonight: 

Edge is not my guy. I am not interested in The Cope Open. But it serves something more important — a really good veteran gets to have matches with guys like Dante Martin and Lee Moriarity and that’s pretty invaluable. I wish they had some kind of circuit or house show because there is so much talent with the real young bulls of AEW but development is tough. But having an 8 minute match with Edge is going to be a well-organized match. I am sure before the match Copeland is sitting down with whoever he is facing, putting the match together, and explaining why the match is being put together that way. And after they go over like a few dozen times how it was executed. 

The Thunder Rosa match was fine. It was exactly what a returning match should be. Her opponent looks cool. 

I am so ridiculous invested in The Bang Bang Scissor Gang. I don’t remember when we have seen a really big group like that? Especially as faces? I was expecting it not to happen. I hope they stick with it because all of those guys have a lot of charisma and are fun acts. 

Toni Storm is the best. Best character in wrestling right now. 

Danny vs Buddy was expectedly good. A very smart match that had excellent usage of their seconds, leading to a great brawl and set up for a match. 

I am now watching Roddy Strong and Matt Sydall and calling it a night even though I really want to see Eddie/Ortiz vs. BCC

• Like 2

Tonight was a really good episode of Collision. The opener with Mox vs. Taylor was damn good. Just them beating on each other. I liked how Taylor didn't tap out though. Made him look strong in defeat. Mox's post match promo was a little confusing since it seemed like he was calling out his own BCC teammates.  I wish someone did come out to challenge him though. 

Copeland vs. Dante was a fun match. I didn't expect Copeland to give so much (taking all those arm drags, a frankensteiner on the floor). Dante looked really good in defeat. Yeah the crossface being named The Grindhouse is a bit lame. I mean shorten it to The Grinder (I'm sure Adam is an old school Judas Priest fan) and it works.

Rosa vs. Aminata was good. Three straight good matches to open the show. I hope Aminata starts picking up wins in ROH or something. Kinda sucks she's losing in these matches on tv.

I thought for sure Bullet Club Gold would sneak attack The Acclaimed after they joined forces, but I was surprised that the faction held. I guess we'll see what happens soon enough.

Timeless Toni Storm continues to be amazing. Luther also has been great in his role. I get that he does not like Mariah May judging by the look he gave her at the end of the promo.

Buddy vs. Garcia was real fun to watch. Loved the back and forth and it leading to a huge brawl. Before it even got mentioned on tv, in my head I was like "this is leading to a cage match". I didn't figure next week or the elimination stip. There is a Macho Man" Randy Savage and Strike Force vs. Hart Foundation and Honkytonk Man six man elimination cage match that should be required viewing for this match up.

Bryan/Claudio vs. Eddie/Ortiz was good. I just didn't like the ending with Eddie being held back by Claudio. It made him look like a chump. But everything else was good. Bryan coming for the triple crown should be fun stuff.

• Like 2

Holy hell, what a week of wrestling on AEW! Collision was pretty insane! Looks like next week won't be any different! Copeland complained that veterans don't take him up on the challenge and next week he gets Suzuki! Good progression there!

Main event and Garcia vs Matthews were the highlights for me, but Sydal being awesome, opener and Copen Challenge were all good stuff! Amanata is really getting some exposure here, too. Match against Rosa was decent enough for sure!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

My only complaint about tonight's Collision is The Righteous being apart of the FTGarcia-HOB pull apart. Why would they care about order? Splendid show otherwise.

More importantly THE OUTRUNNERS went out there and they got no mention whatsoever!

Also, are The Acclaimed members of Bullet Club Gold now, or are we considering Bang Bang Scissor Gang a separate thing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Very true. I was like "Wouldn't this be exactly the kind of thing they advocate? The hell are they trying to stop this for?"