DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

That's just the basics of how it works. 

I feel like NDA discussion has turned into sport injury reporting discussion and people automatically defaulting to "HIPAA" with zero further research.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

I'd go 50/50

Unfortunately, that's the byproduct of terrible journalism.

He (Hausman) succeeded cause I can guarantee his ultimate goal was to blur the line between fact and fiction. Who was talking about Jericho and sexual assault prior to Hausman bringing it up? If his whole thing was "Man, I am so tired of this effusive praise Jericho gets" when it's clear Jericho has his fans and those who absolutely find him deplorable (pun intended?) for his political views he might be adjacent to, he is fighting the absolute wrong battle. The wrong battle that could cost him some money if someone wanted to teach him a lesson.

Now if these "victims" come forward, fair enough. No one should blame them. However, Hausman was clearly fighting for his personal bias and not these people who Jericho might have cause some harm to just by his unique brand of shitty journalism.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He (Hausman) succeeded cause I can guarantee his ultimate goal was to blur the line between fact and fiction. Who was talking about Jericho and sexual assault prior to Hausman bringing it up?

The thing of it is, he didn't even bring it up, assuming the quote somebody posted earlier in the thread is accurate. He merely said Jericho had done bad things, then used Harvey Weinstein as an example of what happens when your bad deeds come to light. He neither said nor logically implied that Jericho's specific misdeeds were in any way similar to Weinstein's.

Legally, of course, I don't think that matters much if at all. To reinforce what you said earlier, to the best of my knowledge under civil law words are no different from other actions, and you can in fact be liable for any consequences of your words that a reasonable person could have predicted. I think a reasonable person could conclude that accusing Jericho of wrongdoing than immediately mentioning Weinstein could lead an incautious listener to think he had said Jericho was guilty of the same things Weinstein was, and that this would spark a shitstorm that would be damaging to Jericho's reputation.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

The thing of it is, he didn't even bring it up, assuming the quote somebody posted earlier in the thread is accurate. He merely said Jericho had done bad things, then used Harvey Weinstein as an example of what happens when your bad deeds come to light. He neither said not logically implied that Jericho's specific misdeeds were in any way similar to Weinstein's.

Legally, of course, I don't think that matters much if at all. To reinforce what you said earlier, to the best of my knowledge under civil law words are no different from other actions, and you can in fact be liable for any consequences of your words that a reasonable person could have predicted. I think a reasonable person could conclude that accusing Jericho of wrongdoing than immediately mentioning Weinstein could lead an incautious listener to think he had said Jericho was guilty of the same things Weinstein was, and that this would spark a shitstorm that would be damaging to Jericho's reputation.

And that's the point. Why use Harvey Weinstein?

I know the MMA folks here are tired/been tired of this being mentioned, but it's kinda like Colby Covington going straight to Hitler when comparing Leon Edwards' deceased dad to someone. For what reason, I have no clue and don't give a damn. There are like an infinite number of people you can go to and not even get close to Adolf Hitler. Even the most ardent Colby Covington fans are like, "what the fuck?". Hausman knew what the fuck he is doing. He wants so desperately to escape accountability. He won't though, which is why he is getting skewered on social media.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

The thing of it is, he didn't even bring it up, assuming the quote somebody posted earlier in the thread is accurate. He merely said Jericho had done bad things, then used Harvey Weinstein as an example of what happens when your bad deeds come to light. He neither said nor logically implied that Jericho's specific misdeeds were in any way similar to Weinstein's.

He also said this:

https://twitter.com/Nick_Hausman/status/1739289735607042111

That's a fairly pretty suggestive point to make only a few days later to make the Harvey Weinstein comparison.

On that podcast that came out today, Hausman claimed, "I knew full well it was probably going to hit in some way. I didn't know it was going to hit near as hard as we've seen it hit. But I'm just tired of watching Chris bully people around and be very abrasive, especially publicly like that. I didn't appreciate the things he said about Ace Steel's wife, Lucy, and some of his tweets, and I'm just tired of it. That's all it was behind it."

He definitely backtracked on those comments earlier today. Whether he got some threatening legal emails over the weekend or not, I don't know. 

• Thanks 2

The Streisand effect of any potential lawsuit especially in the broader context of a TV rights deal negotiation would be massive, even if this guy is a hack peddling defamatory content off gossip and hearsay. 

If my network wants to obtain AEW programming at a cheaper rate (or solidify my links and goodwill to the competition), why not wall to wall news coverage of the trial that exposes their top star as potentially being a monster with links to the January 6 insurrection, and subsequently protected by the wealth of one of the richest families in world sports?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hausman knew what the fuck he is doing.

I think we're generally in agreement, but I'm less than certain on that point. It seems plausible to me that he could have just picked a stupid example and not thought about the implications. Never ascribe to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity and all that.

Again, I don't think it matters in terms of his being liable for the damage done to Jericho's reputation. I suppose if Jericho wanted to go for punitive damages he'd want to establish that it was done out of malice. (And this Hausman guy apparently going on a podcast a couple of days later and essentially saying he was trying to damage Jericho's reputation, just not that much, would probably Jericho. It also in my opinion supports the "He's an idiot" theory.)

4 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

The Streisand effect of any potential lawsuit especially in the broader context of a TV rights deal negotiation would be massive, even if this guy is a hack peddling defamatory content off gossip and hearsay. 

I think everyone's in agreement that AEW would prefer there be no lawsuit. But AEW's interests and Jericho's interests are not necessarily aligned here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m reminded of when that video of Excalibur using the N word came out and they pulled him from commentary for a week.

Assuming this isn’t the start of an iceberg, why not keep Jericho of TV for a week or two until the news cycle moves onto something else

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

It seems plausible to me that he could have just picked a stupid example and not thought about the implications. Never ascribe to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity and all that.

You're probably right. The issue is when it started taking on a life of its own he could have put a stop to it at any point. Instead he egged it on and waited until the next episode of his show to clarify. Maximizing the damage to Jericho's reputation and views. 

What's ironic is he's buddy buddy with Punk who has the biggest glass house of them all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You know what’s crazy? Like, 12 hrs after Kylie Rae got released, some random ass Twitter account replied to one of the big wrestling accounts by saying “it’s because Chris Jericho invited her up to his room and tried to pressure her into having sex.” I’m not on the app anymore, so I can’t find it, and I’d be shocked if it were still up, but it always stuck out to me that someone had a reason that seemed so out of left field at the time.

From Kylie herself in 2019:

“I don’t know how to start this and I can’t speak on other’s behalves. I can only speak for myself and what’s in my heart. I don’t know many rumors and honestly try to stay away from everything, obviously. But here: nobody made me leave. AEW took my career to new levels and I’m beyond grateful for every opportunity and experience that has come along the way and wish nothing but the best. It’s a great group of people who truly love wrestling and just want everyone to succeed. I’ve always tried to be a good person but I make many mistakes along the way. I needed to get my mind, body, and soul right with God. I wish I had the answers but the truth is I don’t. We all go through obstacles in life and we may want all the answers but we don’t need them. It’s God’s plan and he has shown me what’s truly important in life and to find a blessing in every moment because in the blink of an eye, everything can be gone. So instead of bashing, let’s just love one another and appreciate what we have, or something like that lol sorry I’m awkward.”

She would later leave other promotions, retire, come out of retirement, then work a light schedule with the primary reason being her mental health.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing that really sucks is now that when the next "Dark Side" thing happens involving possible sexual predation, it's going to be treated like "Oh, it's just like the Jericho thing", which is the LAST thing we want, and will stop people from coming forward.

No one wins. The "writer" gets blackballed, Kylie Rae gets mud thrown on her she doesn't deserve, and Jericho is (probably) tarred unfairly. Tony Khan had a PPV match partially ruined by this (It wasn't that great technically anyway, but if the allegations weren't made, maybe the match doesn't go off the rails as the fans wouldn't be chanting NDA etcetera)

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Here’s Hausman tweets from before. Derp

Hide contents

FF26-B087-9-C46-4923-BE00-99-C1-C50-BB67
39-DA7-E39-E4-FC-4-FAE-9-F8-F-ABC246-F95

E9-CAF170-926-E-4322-850-C-FF94-C4-A163-
958-D1-FF7-2-AA8-48-AE-B1-B7-C045-F21-D0

Derp

What an asshole. Fake outrage that someone suggested there might be an "agenda" at play, only for him to admit it himself days later. Get fucked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Jericho hasn't done himself any favors lately. There was no reason for him to act erratic and start drunk tweeting on Christmas Day about Brawl Out, Stephen P. New, and CM Punk. There was absolutely no reason for him to revisit that situation at that point especially when it was over and done with and everybody had moved on. Also, it was f'n Christmas morning. What the hell was he doing he needed to get in a social media shouting match with a lawyer? 

Why did he choose that time to speak out about the incident that happened over a year earlier? Especially when he kept his mouth shut forever about it. He was on Howie Mandell's podcast and they tried to talk about Brawl Out and he was tongue-tied and didn't offer any details then.  And that's just one example. There have been others. But that incident is when Nick Hausman first responded to him, implying Jericho has had people sign NDAs. 

And this is why we need Bryan Danielson twitter cop 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hausman can do the following based on what I have seen without needing to be at some press conference:

1) He can reach out to Chris Jericho directly with questions about what is being alleged. Jericho has Twitter, has an agent, possibly has direct contact available on some website, etc. It will take all of five minutes to find that out via Google. If somehow that Chris Jericho - one of the biggest self-promotional artists in the industry - can’t be contacted online, surely someone with the inside sources Hausman has (he is on LinkedIn even!) can get him in touch.

2) See the above with Tony Kahn. 

3) He can certainly divulge how he knows about the NDAs without naming his sources. But he needs to spell out the details more. Are there multiple NDAs? If so, how many? How does he know? Did a victim tell him? (He does not have to name the victim, nor should he.) Did someone Jericho prey upon tell multiple people and Hausman heard similar details from all of these people?  (Again, he can just use “multiple sources told me…” or something like that.) Did he see any legal correspondence?

Or Is this some stuff he was fed by someone he is close with who has an axe to grind with Jericho and he’s peddling what he was told as fact? Or is he just peddling some stuff he heard on Twitter or wherever? Is it some anonymous thing he got sent on the “tips” email address he has on his website he hasn’t checked out?

If it’s the first part, then that’s actual reporting. Good work! If it’s the second half, and based on what he’s said on his out of context even though I am the context podcast it seems like this is the case, then he needs to stop.

I really hope this does not make it seem like I am being insensitive to anyone Jericho harassed. Is it possible he did something like that? Yeah, absolutely. That stuff happens regularly and it has happened with actual famous people in the public eye. Multiple presidents have done this stuff. 

But reporting on these types of allegations is really hard. The best minds and outlets in journalism struggle to report on issues related to sexual harassment or power imbalances or etc. It’s absurd to think that a self-employed “wrestling journalist” who according to his LinkedIn has never done anything in his career beyond reporting on wrestling has the ability to accurately handle something like this with any sort of tact or responsibility. 

• Like 10

For some more context:

1) The Wall Street Journal reporter who wrote about Vince’s payoffs won a Pulitzer Prize for reporting about Donald Trump and Stormy Daniels. 

2) The Epstein stories were broken by Julie Brown of the Miami Herald. It took her literally years before she and the paper were comfortable writing her first article on the topic. 

A guy who says on a podcast something about not liking a guy because of what he said about Ace Steele’s wife needs to shut it down. Do you care about someone victimized in a situation like this or are you just wanting to fight with a wrestler online?

I also write about finance for my career. It is difficult and challenging. I am so glad I do not have to write about sexual harassment or anything of the sort. I am not emotionally capable of writing about something like that — it’s really draining and would make me not sleep at night wondering if I was handling it the right way. I had to cover a murder when I was a young local news reporter and it put me on a therapist’s couch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

"Now this might strike some DVDVR posters as harsh but I believe Nick Hausman should just die".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4