DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/13 - 12/19/2023 - Winter is Coming... Quick, Look Busy!

Dolfan in NYC

That Jericho line was stinky stinky garbage but Omega may also have the lamest and least over catchphrase of all time. What a weeb.

Main event was alright, though it was very paint by number 'big match template' stuff. A big fake epic star ratings match does not play the strengths or either Mox or Swerve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Y'all talked a lot about the Jets/Ricky/Bill segment so no need to add to the pile.  They realized they were dying a thousand deaths out there and I feel for Ricky and Bill.

But I will say there was a misstep in not having Briscoe come in angry and drop the redneck kung fu stuff for one night.  There was a reaction video where he was pissed off and for a change of pace in the CC I wish he came in wanting to MDK White.  It would have led to a much better match and also would have been a good way to show that Mark Briscoe is nobody to fuck with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But I will say there was a misstep in not having Briscoe come in angry and drop the redneck kung fu stuff for one night.

I thought red neck kung fu was how Mark Briscoe murdered people. Why would he drop it when angry?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe my favorite moment last night was when you could hear one of the announcers start laughing before he could hit his cough button over Toni Storm's "Well they used to have asbestos, too" line.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I guess that the Devil showing up while Swerve was in the ring means that Swerve can't be the Devil (but then again, this storyline is what it is).. so time to move on Prince Nana being the Devil.

I'd be on board with the Devil doing the Nana dance as a red herring.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I thought red neck kung fu was how Mark Briscoe murdered people. Why would he drop it when angry?

Well you got me there.  I was just thinking of him doing something different to show the losses have made him angrier than normal.  I guess him going for Froggy Boh early was it but more could have been done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Things I remember from this week of AEW Dynamite:

The Von Erichs popped up for a few moments before getting ushered to Rampage. We now have Kevin Von Erich and Danhausen on the same screen.

So the person with the gimmick that he puts curses on people are in the same interview segment with the Von Erichs.  Someone has either a sick or ironic sense of humor in booking.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I think I had the fortune of spending 6 hours working on a photo album last night so I wasn’t fully paying attention to Dynamite. However, I did pay more attention than I should have to the tag team championship segment. My ultimate takeaway from that was this:

I would have told Jericho, the Bucks, and Kenny to go kick rocks and keep Punk instead. This probably sounds weird given that I’m not the biggest Punk fan at the moment and I used to really like the Bucks and still think Omega is great. The Bucks have been a total non factor for awhile now and their last good program was dropping the titles to the Lucha Bros. Jericho is actively killing Starks and Big Bill. What in the fucking fuck is going on with everyone in a program with Starks trying to bury him on the mic? That goes for Punk too. Here’s a backstage rule for AEW - no more burying Starks on the mic. A lot of times Jericho is great. The other times he’s Hogan level just leeching off of others and burying them. I don’t even think it’s on purpose. For every good idea Jericho has, he has an equally awful idea or executes thethe other idea awfully. And Omega is just out there twisting in the wind until he can get a line in which sucked. Credit to Starks for trying to make the most out of a dying segment. 

Loved the wrestling on the show. Mox and Swerve had legit big match feel. Those two are going to have a killer rematch at some point. Andrade vs Brody ruled.

• Like 1

Also, the Devil angle…Well, it’s not Swerve, so that sucks. I swear, if It’s fucking Jack Perry then I may well be tuning out. Perry as a heel has risk negative charisma. As a single face it’s slightly better, but barely. He’s best in Jurassic Express. If it’s Cole and Britt then that’s almost as bad because it’s been telegraphed from the start and I fucking hate most married couples working angles together.

I think an acceptable alternative that would work is Christian Cage. The big dude in that closing segment was Luchasaurus sized. Hell, I’d even accept Jack Perry being used by Cage in this angle. MJF unmasks who he thinks is the devil and it’s Perry. Perry begs off and says he’s not the real devil. And then you eventually find out it’s Christian. Also, we hear about MJF’s mom a lot, but nothing ever from his dad…Maybe Max needs a father figure?

Actually, the more I think about it, Christian is the only one that makes the most sense.

28 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think I had the fortune of spending 6 hours working on a photo album last night so I wasn’t fully paying attention to Dynamite. However, I did pay more attention than I should have to the tag team championship segment. My ultimate takeaway from that was this:

I would have told Jericho, the Bucks, and Kenny to go kick rocks and keep Punk instead. This probably sounds weird given that I’m not the biggest Punk fan at the moment and I used to really like the Bucks and still think Omega is great. The Bucks have been a total non factor for awhile now and their last good program was dropping the titles to the Lucha Bros. Jericho is actively killing Starks and Big Bill. What in the fucking fuck is going on with everyone in a program with Starks trying to bury him on the mic? That goes for Punk too. Here’s a backstage rule for AEW - no more burying Starks on the mic. A lot of times Jericho is great. The other times he’s Hogan level just leeching off of others and burying them. I don’t even think it’s on purpose. For every good idea Jericho has, he has an equally awful idea or executes thethe other idea awfully. And Omega is just out there twisting in the wind until he can get a line in which sucked. Credit to Starks for trying to make the most out of a dying segment. 

Loved the wrestling on the show. Mox and Swerve had legit big match feel. Those two are going to have a killer rematch at some point. Andrade vs Brody ruled.

I can empathise. I'm the only person out of me/Dad/Laura to keep backing up photos on computers and USB Flash Drives incase anything was to happen to us/PCs. It's hard going seeing those passed on whom you dearly miss.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, the Devil angle…Well, it’s not Swerve, so that sucks. I swear, if It’s fucking Jack Perry then I may well be tuning out. Perry as a heel has risk negative charisma. As a single face it’s slightly better, but barely. He’s best in Jurassic Express. If it’s Cole and Britt then that’s almost as bad because it’s been telegraphed from the start and I fucking hate most married couples working angles together.

I think an acceptable alternative that would work is Christian Cage. The big dude in that closing segment was Luchasaurus sized. Hell, I’d even accept Jack Perry being used by Cage in this angle. MJF unmasks who he thinks is the devil and it’s Perry. Perry begs off and says he’s not the real devil. And then you eventually find out it’s Christian. Also, we hear about MJF’s mom a lot, but nothing ever from his dad…Maybe Max needs a father figure?

Actually, the more I think about it, Christian is the only one that makes the most sense.

Best heel in the business, Christian Cage.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steventon said:

That Jericho line was stinky stinky garbage but Omega may also have the lamest and least over catchphrase of all time. What a weeb.

Main event was alright, though it was very paint by number 'big match template' stuff. A big fake epic star ratings match does not play the strengths or either Mox or Swerve.

Careful. Any slander of the Elite is met with intense anger around here. Sometimes…

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Only if they come out of a box 

1. That's mystery surprises.

2. It being December, it's that time of the year where I listen to the Something to Wrestle episode for Royal Rumble 1998 where Bruce imitates Cornette pitching Terry Funk coming out of a box with pantyhose on his head like we won't know it's Terry Funk and then giving 25 examples in as many years of people coming out of a box on wrestling TV.

6 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm still thinking the Devil is Cole.

Someone on Reddit (yeah, I know) had a pretty interesting idea: what if there are TWO devils, one trying to help MJF and the other trying to hurt him, and they aren't aware of who the other person is! In that case the devils were Britt and Cole. But of course,  they both would have goons, so that theory kinda falls apart there. But I found that a very interesting outcome.

Obviously Cole was there to help MJF but Britt was there to hurt him because he hogs all of Cole's time and Britt's tv time.

Edited by Shartnado
clarification
  • Like 2

I guess by now, Adam Cole is the safest pick compared to Jungle Boy or Sami Callihan.

But we just sped past an off-ramp to split MJF and Cole and turning Cole now feels like driving off the bridge to make the exit.

Also if you’re feuding MJF and Cole, how in the hell can Cole be the heel vs MJF? MJF looks like a dude expelled from a frat chapter for excessive hazing and Cole looks like a guy who donates to multiple NPR stations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

what if there are TWO devils, one trying to help MJF and the other trying to hurt him, and they aren't aware of who the other person is!

Are the goons two different groups or are they just working for both devils not realizing they’re two different people?

• Haha 4