DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/8 - 11/14/2023 - Bait and Switchblade

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

One thing that hit me -- Do you know who would be a really good Devil it turns out? Brian Pillman, Jr. I thought he was on the shortlist of lamest wrestlers we've ever seen. But whoever came up with his new persona and him leaning into it is really great. He'd be so great as something like that.

I'm glad to hear he's doing well at NXT so far - someone here linked to a vignette where he was watching Brian Sr. highlights and talking about how he never really knew 'that man' - his delivery was pretty standard BPJ fare like weve all seen already, but I thought the content was super promising - hopefully he can make something of it. I will say, I do like that they went with a story reason for the name change instead of just dumping him out there with it like 'Michael McGillicuddy' etc.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I really hope Jack Perry isn't the Devil. Anticlimactic as fuck.

Yeah, he can’t cut a compelling promo, has no charisma, and is just another guy in the ring. So not only would the reveal be lame but the angle wouldn’t deliver.

Honestly, Tony Khan would be smart to just cut him loose and use the extra money that would add to his budget to make Mercedes Mone an offer she can’t refuse since AEW needs stars that aren’t in their 50’s.

• Like 1

Anyway, I loved the actual show (and I am in the group that didn't think last week was that bad).

MJF-Garcia kicked ass and I hope they have many rematches over the years. MJF seems to be busting out a new move every match now. The cradle DDT thing he's been doing is NASTY. I still wish Danny had joined BCC.

Darby and STIIIIING vs The Outrunners was obviously going to be a squash but I'm glad Turbo Floyd and Truth Magnum got to stooge it up for a bit. Best jobber team in the world.

Still loving the Timeless Toni Storm character. Hick-Ah-Roo!

Swerve-Penta started out pissing me off because it was 80% Swerve basing and selling for Penta and 20% mirror spots, but then during picture it got more even and Swerve took over after the break and things got crazy! I legit thought Swerve snapped Penta's elbow (and I was not rooting for that!). The aftermath with Hanger has me hoping for a good bloody street fight.

The Golden Jets-Bucks thing made me laugh since Bucks got roasted hard. Match will be fun, and I guess it's a way for them to break up the Jets.

Joe vs. Keith Lee made me think of Dean and the board's love of Big Meaty Men Slapping Meat. It was fun with Lee being in with someone his size, because it made his athleticism and power really stand out. I wondered if Joe would be able to pull off a muscle-buster, I maybe got my answer in the form of that nasty rear naked choke. Not a huge fan of vacating the title like that, but I guess we get a tournament.

Serious OC is a little weird to me, but I love the idea that he finally cares about something (besides his Best Friends).

Gunns squash...they were competing with MJF for the rotisserie chicken spray tan of the night.

Not one of Mox's better promos but always down for some glorious pro wrestling violence. I guess it's too early for another Parking Lot Brawl.

It's nice to see Red Velvet back, both in ring and to see her in general. Julia held her own, she really has come along. The splits and call back to the cheerleader days was a nice touch. Still not sure where they're going with the Stat-Willow-Skye-Julia storyline, but it's had good matches!

I thought Mariah May was a rebooted Harley Cameron at first, she looks kind of like a cross between Harley and Toni Storm. I'm down with the obsessive fan storyline (and I guess I need to watch Sunset Boulevard and All About Eve now).

Main event was MOTN even with that hot opener. Super competitive, lots of hard strikes and kicks, lots of MOVEZ, lots of character work. Many NASTY suplay in this match.

Hoping the Devil storyline gets resolved soon. I'm still calling AADAAAMMM, with Strong, Kingdom, and a returning Kyle O'Reilly.

Rampage looks to be a fun little show.

• Like 5

Won't speak for anyone else but myself here but when I was musing about JB being a part of this he was never Devil mask guy in what I was picturing. Just another guy in the group. Cole has got to be Devil mask (unless they have a super creative swerve that people will love). I just figure this is a good spot to incorporate JB back into the show. Cole is the leader of The Kingdom. And The Kingdom is Cole, Roddy, Taven, Bennett, & Jack Perry. A way to do a surprise reveal that ends up being a fake out.

I doubt we get the reveal as soon as Full Gear. Especially if Cole is involved. I just hope the 5th dude is Kyle O'Riley. I like O'Riley and think he has a higher ceiling as a baby coming back from such a rough injury.

• Like 3

I'm not buying Cole as the Devil but I've been a believer of the Cole/MJF as best friends forever from the start and was thrilled that turn never happened through All In.   I lean more towards new signing free agent, with Roderick/Kingdom involved.

Haven’t watched the show yet, but if Joe just vacated the belt after having it and not really doing anything with it for almost two years, they need to just scrap it. There’s too many belts and it’s a TV belt for a promotion without aTV show

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Wasn't there a whole "don't turn MJF and Cole on each other" sentiment going into Wembleymania that might still be people's opinion these days?

It would definitely be a welcome break in traditional wrestling storytelling. Partners who stay friends and always have each others' backs, even when they are doing their own thing and don't have to be in the same storylines all the time. Kinda like Buffy and Angel, when Angel kept showing up to assist when things looked the bleakest. We already have something like that in Sting and Darby, but there could be more of that. Also, I don't need to see MJF vs Cole again. The one big match was enough for now, thanks.

• Like 1

I love the intrigue of the angle, but I'm struggling to think of a realistic resolution that isn't a letdown. If it's Punk, then it's the greatest angle of all time. I would also accept being Cole or Britt if the injury was an elaborate work and he does the Keyser Soze walk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

It will be Vince Russo, won't it? 

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

has the Devil actually done anything physical during this or does he just appear in cutaway shots?

at least the reveal won't be this:

mchmahon-higherpower.gif

I'll do you both one better - it's Tony Khan! And he's gonna use his reveal as the devil to tell us he will be making a huge announcement next week on Dynamite!

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

If I am not missing something (and it's certainly possible I am missing something), the only match that has been announced for Rampage (which starts in 15.5 hours, roughly) is: 

FTR vs Vikingo & Komander.

And, you know what? That's plenty. I'll be watching. I can hardly wait. I literally bought popcorn. 

There are all kinds of crazy-good unexpected match-ups happening all the time in all kinds of promotions all over the world. Like, say, Maki Ito vs Speedball, or whatever. (That's reportedly an actual match that has been announced for GCW, by the way)  It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with everything. It's overwhelming.

And yet, AEW manages to come up with stuff every week, like FTR vs Vikingo & Komander, which hits (me, personally, at least) as both: "I have to see this" *and* "This could only happen in AEW."

So: let's get hyped for Rampage!

Also: I like not knowing what else we're getting. Sometimes. Probably they'll announce something else good or fun or both before I wake up tomorrow. Possibly, before I go to bed. It's not even 9 pm here.

Maybe they'll go two outa three falls and leave just enough time for a couple of promos and a solitary women's match!

edit: 11.5 hours later. Four hours from showtime. Still nothing else announced. Awesome! Here's hoping they show restraint and let FTR vs Vikingo & Komander be the lone selling point. I am legit curious now!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

Here's my booking crystal ball Good News/Bad News. Good news is the Devil should be either ROOSH or Andrade and the ninjas whoever else is Ingobernable. Bad news is it'll probably be a reiteration of Undisputed Era, Diamond Mine, whatever with Roddy and Kyle and a turned Adam and maybe even a turned Hangman? Or they rehire Bobby Fish which I would actually like. Basically a team of va****a mi****s running roughshot over everyone because they're a swarm of bees. 

EDIT: Hell, if the crowd wouldn't revolt upon sight, Austin Aries would be the smallest and most annoying leader humanly possible. 

Edited by Curt McGirt