DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I'm not sure what earrings in the football building have to do with #4. These make some sense generally, but I do have an issue of treating 20 year old guys like they're 8.

Yup, that's how I was thinking too.

I'm not sure what earrings in the football building have to do with #4. These make some sense generally, but I do have an issue of treating 20 year old guys like they're 8.

Let's not beat around the bush here:

It's clear that, true or not, Charlie Strong thinks there's a "thug" element to the current Longhorn roster and culture.  Charlie also clearly associates dudes wearing earrings with thug culture. 

And that's where he's going with that rule.

Personally, #8 troubles me.  The obvious fallout from a rule like that is Charlie forcing - or just strongly encouraging - injured players to practice.  And creating a culture where guys are encouraged/forced to not report injuries or play through them or whatever.  And I find that a bit troubling when talking about amateur players.

It's surprising to see it written as that's always been one of those unwritten rules regarding players at all levels from dickhead coaches who don't think you're tough for not playing with an injury that could ruin your life down the road. Especially, since you're not even being paid.

As a former college athlete, to me it reads as there having been a problem @ Texas in the past w guys missing a week for truly minor stuff. Every athlete, deep down, knows the difference between "hurt"and "injured." I highly doubt that guys are gonna be made to practice w torn muscles or fractured bones. Just like I doubt a kid is gonna have to run for missing class if he's really sick. It sounds like the kids at Texas got a little soft and entitled. These rules are meant to break that trend...

The entitlement theme has pretty much been an obsession for the local media the last year or two, so of course they're eating this up.  It doesn't show up on the list, but players are now banned from doing the hook em horns sign until they "earn it".

It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out with recruiting.  It's not going down well with a couple of top 2015 recruits so far.  If Strong isn't a success, I'm guessing the next guy will be more of a supposed players coach.

Yeah - #4 is really weird

It's like "No earrings" is the most important and not doing drugs or beating women is secondary.

And #2 needs to be applied at every University and High School in this country

It's like "No earrings" is the most important and not doing drugs or beating women is secondary.

Hadn't really caught the "earrings > drugs/women" aspect of #4.  You're right. 

As for #2, heck, that was the rule (well, the no headphones thing) back when I was teaching which was, uh... sometime ago before Chris Weinke won a Heisman.  If it hadn't been a schoolwide rule, you can bet it would have been in my classroom.  You want music in math class?  No problem.  Bring a tape or CD, we'll listen to it on the boombox in class on Friday but if I hear profanity, you don't get it back.  That actually worked really well and I got intro'ed to a lot of great music I would have missed otherwise.

Hadn't really caught the "earrings > drugs/women" aspect of #4.  You're right. 

As for #2, heck, that was the rule (well, the no headphones thing) back when I was teaching which was, uh... sometime ago before Chris Weinke won a Heisman.  If it hadn't been a schoolwide rule, you can bet it would have been in my classroom.  You want music in math class?  No problem.  Bring a tape or CD, we'll listen to it on the boombox in class on Friday but if I hear profanity, you don't get it back.  That actually worked really well and I got intro'ed to a lot of great music I would have missed otherwise.

I can see it in high school, on a slow day a little music can be fun. Any jackass doing that in a college class should get a beat down. . .

The author of that article actually says Musberger's performance the last couple years has been good.  WTF.  How can anybody who knows anything about, well, anything say that Musberger has been good?  He's terrible at calling games, is an obvious network/conference shill.  Not to mention the embarrassing - albeit true - fawning over AJ's hottie girlfriend. 

Yeah, get him away from ESPN's big games and gimme Tessitore and Herbie.  That'd work.

I'd like to see the Nessler/Blackledge team be the main SEC Network announcers, personally. Musburger has been really bad these last few years and I'd rather just see him put out to pasture instead of stinking up my TV more.

This is more appropriate over here:

Another SEC assistant compared the prospect of coaches negatively recruiting against Missouri to when, according to the assistant, some tried to convince Virginia Tech commitments that the school was full of mass murderers in the aftermath of the campus massacre in 2007. The coach said he would never recruit with such tactics. But others?

Naturally, this guy would NEVER use such tactics.  Though he just knows others will