DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

Some schools are threatening to do away with college sports if this happens, or scale down their operations considerably the way Ivy League football scaled down in the 1950s-1960s.

But at the point that head coaches make as much as their NFL counterparts filling up 100,000 seat stadiums and the NCAA basketball tournament TV deal is worth billions of dollars, surely "student athletes" deserve more than just "academic scholarships."

Some CFS fans are crying STUPID KIDS! on this, but I think they're missing the point.  I don't see this as some huge power play.  You've got coaches making $5-7 million in base salary, in addition to bonuses and outside endorsements.  Many of the coaches deserve their money.  But it ignores the guys on the field/court. The scholarship is nice but 1)it's only worth $250K even at the most expensive school over four years and 2) most of the 'student athletes' are only going to school because it's their one means to achieving their career goal.

The NCAA should have tried to appease the players by allowing them to negotiate their own likeness.  Everyone would have something of a level field with that, though obviously only the most popular would generate income.  But that's the case in pro sports, so that's just how it works.  But the NCAA/schools wouldn't even entertain that notion, and it's going to come back to bite them.

For the two money sports, the argument seems reasonable, but with TItle IX, you pay say 100 male players(football and basketball combined), you have to pay 100 women the exact same amount. If it stands, college sports is dead.

I don't think the Northwestern players are asking for cash--more along the lines of their entire scholarship being guaranteed (no year-by-year scenarios where a coach can take it back if someone else comes along), along with medical expenses and disability benefits.  That way, they avoid taxation.

I don't think college sports gets unionized--SCOTUS will likely kill that dead. But negotiating for your own likeness will finally be on the table.  A lacrosse player isn't going to make more than $50.  But any Heisman winner will rake in major dollars.  It's a case-by-case situation, and I think that's the athletes' ultimate goal.

It's complicated, for sure.  Most athletic departments run in the red and any that don't have monster football programs carrying the load.  So wanting schools to pay all athletes isn't realistic.  But the NCAA could have avoided a lot of this drama if they had merely allowed for their 'student athletes' to self-promote and generate income that way.

I don't think the Northwestern players are asking for cash--more along the lines of their entire scholarship being guaranteed (no year-by-year scenarios where a coach can take it back if someone else comes along), along with medical expenses and disability benefits.  That way, they avoid taxation.

I don't think college sports gets unionized--SCOTUS will likely kill that dead. But negotiating for your own likeness will finally be on the table.  A lacrosse player isn't going to make more than $50.  But any Heisman winner will rake in major dollars.  It's a case-by-case situation, and I think that's the athletes' ultimate goal.

It's complicated, for sure.  Most athletic departments run in the red and any that don't have monster football programs carrying the load.  So wanting schools to pay all athletes isn't realistic.  But the NCAA could have avoided a lot of this drama if they had merely allowed for their 'student athletes' to self-promote and generate income that way.

Okay that sounds pretty reasonable, which we all know is the reason is won't happen. . . :) seriously though it could be a good framework for a settlement.

Some schools are threatening to do away with college sports if this happens,

To be honest I'm not sure what the case against doing this would be.

In sports vs. education the tail is already clearly wagging the dog. Raising the value of athletic scholarships and offering pay making them even more dominantly valuable, there are a lot of universities that are essentially farm teams that happen to offer some classes on the side at that point. The academic shenanigans to keep top athletes are goofy enough now, never mind if you add that into the equation.

I love sports and all but I have no problem with that collapsing under its own stupidity.

I don't know how doable it is, but you'd think the NFL could put together a D-league and run 7-on-7 games during the off-season.   Heck, Goodell is trying to take over the entire calendar anyway, so develop a true farm system for those guys who have no interest in going to college, pay them a few bucks for a couple of years while training them.  Put those games on TV.  Goodell needs to hire me. ;)

For the two money sports, the argument seems reasonable, but with TItle IX, you pay say 100 male players(football and basketball combined), you have to pay 100 women the exact same amount. If it stands, college sports is dead.

That is wrong there is NOTHING in Title IX that requires equal programs. Just equal access.

For the two money sports, the argument seems reasonable, but with TItle IX, you pay say 100 male players(football and basketball combined), you have to pay 100 women the exact same amount. If it stands, college sports is dead.

That is wrong there is NOTHING in Title IX that requires equal programs. Just equal access.

Perhaps, but Gloria allred and her ilk will have the java in court for a decade and a half anyway. .. .

• 3 weeks later...

Is this bad? This is bad, isn't it?

In his announcement, the prosecutor, William N. Meggs, acknowledged a number of shortcomings in the police investigation. In fact, an examination by The New York Times has found that there was virtually no investigation at all, either by the police or the university.

The police did not follow the obvious leads that would have quickly identified the suspect as well as witnesses, one of whom videotaped part of the sexual encounter. After the accuser identified Mr. Winston as her assailant, the police did not even attempt to interview him for nearly two weeks and never obtained his DNA.

The detective handling the case waited two months to write his first report and then prematurely suspended his inquiry without informing the accuser. By the time the prosecutor got the case, important evidence had disappeared, including the video of the sexual act.

Somehow, I knew that case would come back to bite Winston in the ass.  And the Tallahassee PD look even worse, if that's possible.

Though realistically, it changes little or nothing.  The case is closed, FSU are the national champions, Winston won the Heisman and he'll likely be the #1 draft pick next year.