DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I imagine it will have the opposite effect. This is a loss for the NCAA, not necessarily it's member instituations, particularly the Power 5 conference schools, for whom this ruling dovetails nicely with their recent Autonomy victory. These two major developments line up neatly with the 5's vision for an Autonomous future, which is essentially preserving the status quo, or at least the present course to whatever their ideal status quo is.

I imagine it will have the opposite effect. This is a loss for the NCAA, not necessarily it's member instituations, particularly the Power 5 conference schools, for whom this ruling dovetails nicely with their recent Autonomy victory. These two major developments line up neatly with the 5's vision for an Autonomous future, which is essentially preserving the status quo, or at least the present course to whatever their ideal status quo is.

I think it will be a middle road. The union push will be helped because the players are going to need someone to help them get what the court has opened up to them...but it doesn't kill the NCAA cause the ruling only applies to FBS and D1 Mens Basketball.

The schools are going to help the players get that money. The schools have been aware that there is simply too much money being made for the players not to be getting any for a while now and have advocated on their behalf. The only thing stopping them were NCAA bylaws. Now that this injunction prevents the NCAA from enforcing those bylaws, the schools are going to do something more reasonably approximating "right" by the players. Which will quell much of the unionization sentiment.

As soon as a couple of schools start giving out more valuable scholarships, and throwing 5 grand a year in an account for the players, every other major school will follow suit if only for recruitment purposes.

R.I.P. College Football. It was a great run while it lasted.

I would say it is more R.I.P. most of the 2nd and 3rd tier college sports.   If schools in the SEC and ACC have to give $5000 for a bunch of football and basketball players, it isn't going to go to a bunch of other sports

R.I.P. College Football. It was a great run while it lasted.

I would say it is more R.I.P. most of the 2nd and 3rd tier college sports.   If schools in the SEC and ACC have to give $5000 for a bunch of football and basketball players, it isn't going to go to a bunch of other sports

Until the Title IX lawsuits anyway. . .

College Station needs to put around the clock security around any beloved monuments.

Someone Johnny Footballed the Bear Bryant statue.

Hey, Bryant mighta been a fan of JFF.  After all, Bryant DID coach at A&M :)

• Like 1

In Bryant's era, he probably would have recruited JFF and never played him. Bryant used to recruit a lot of top tier talent just so he would not have to play against them.

That's why Bo ended up at Auburn. He wanted to go to Alabama but was told "you may get to play by the time you're a senior" or something to that effect.

I thought that's what Auburn told him to get him to come. 'If you go to Bama you might get some playing time in four years...or come to Auburn and start as a freshman'

Bo talks about it in one of the two documentaries for ESPN he did (Either Bo Knows Best or Roll Tide/War Eagle).