DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Thank you for reminding me that my other favorite team has won one game in the past two calendar years. I'd almost forgotten. What a bright future I have watching college football.

Note to self: Enroll in grad school at Florida State immediately.

• Like 1

The thing to watch out for with Alabama's offense next season is if it joins the LUDICROUS SPEED crowd. Saban has spent most of the previous two years grousing about it, yet Joe Schad tweeted this week that Saban said he's "intrigued" by the fast-break offenses because of the hell it can cause opposing defenses. Interesting that Saban has flip-flopped. Curious if his final two games of the season changed his opinion, or if it was because he saw how the philosophy worked well for others across the country

A bit of both.  Having Johnny Manziel open a can of whoop-whoop on his defense in 2012 gave Saban pause.  He seemed to buy into the hurry up philosophy a little during the last game against A&M.  But those last two games probably gave Saban the final push he needed to look at ways to overhaul his offense.

Joe Schad is full of shit on that one. Saban isn't changing anything. If he wanted to dramatically change the offense like that, he would've hired a HUNH guy, not a guy who basically runs the exact same offense Alabama has been running.

Saban believes in his system, and it's going to take more than a disappointing couple of games to make him change it. Really, he's the type of guy who would rather retire and grouse about how "the game isn't what it used to be" than change.

I wouldn't be shocked if they put in a HUNH package for specific situations, but Alabama is built on freaks of nature at tailback, smart qbs, and dominant defenses.  That's not really what you piece together in the HUNH.

Well, Alabama ran a lot of no huddle offense in 2012. They didn't do it as much this year because the OL struggled so much. And if they ever get the combination of QB and OL they trust to do it again, they will.

But there's a substantial difference between going no huddle and doing the whole HUNH thing. The HUNH is a whole other philosophy, and there's no real way to half-ass it. You either believe it and commit to it, or you leave it the fuck alone. Half-assing it is how you get fired, like Tommy Tubberville. Or Mack Brown, more recently.

Well, Saban isn't in danger of being fired any time soon.

Really, though, the "speedspeedspeed" part of Malzahn's attack is only part of it.  The other is just how damn good he is at sizing up the talent he has on hand and completely adapting his offense to fit it. 

At any rate, I just want to keep saying HUNH before Gus successfully trademarks it.  ;)

Man, I've been saying that forever. The whole HUNH thing is overrated. For every Gus Malzahn or Chip Kelly, there are dozens of other guys running it who are just...nothing special. But if a rule was passed tomorrow outlawing the HUNH, both of those guys would still be successful, because they're excellent at 1) identifying the talent on hand, 2) scheming around that talent, and 3) good ol' fashioned playcalling. Same as every other great offensive mind in football, ever.

How fun.

--Chuck Langerman's wrestling trivia.  New Penn State head football coach James Franklin was a schoolmate of Rob Feinstein at Neshaminy High School  in Langhorne, PA.  Franklin graduated in 1990 and Feinstein in 1989.  Neshaminy High is one of the few schools left in te U.S. that to this day are still called the Redskins.

Soooooooo, Dorell Green-Beckum stupidly got busted with a lot of weed and Ed Orgeron will possibly be the new 'Bama DL coach. Man, if you'd have told me last year at this time that Nick Saban would kick off 2014 with both Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron on-staff, I'd call you crazy.

Soooooooo, Dorell Green-Beckum stupidly got busted with a lot of weed and Ed Orgeron will possibly be the new 'Bama DL coach. Man, if you'd have told me last year at this time that Nick Saban would kick off 2014 with both Lane Kiffin and Ed Orgeron on-staff, I'd call you crazy.

I'm really disappointed this didn't happen, if only because I had this gem ready to go:

mr-mcmahon-introduces-nwo-o.gif

I'M GOING TO KILL MY CREATION! I'M GOING TO INJECT ALABAMA WITH A LETHAL DOSE OF POISON!

• Like 1

How fun.

--Chuck Langerman's wrestling trivia.  New Penn State head football coach James Franklin was a schoolmate of Rob Feinstein at Neshaminy High School  in Langhorne, PA.  Franklin graduated in 1990 and Feinstein in 1989.  Neshaminy High is one of the few schools left in te U.S. that to this day are still called the Redskins.

That can't possibly be true, can it?

How fun.

That can't possibly be true, can it?

Well Wiki says it is all true except the Feinstein part and shocker the Neshaminy page doesn't list Feinstein as a "famous alum"

I'm not sure what earrings in the football building have to do with #4. These make some sense generally, but I do have an issue of treating 20 year old guys like they're 8.