DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

No, hear me out. Everybody is freaking out about this, but it's going to be nothing but positive.

For one thing, the 40 second clock starts as soon as the previous play has ended. Most teams that hurry to the line don't even get in a position to snap the ball until 6-8 seconds are gone already. And even the most warp-speed spread teams *rarely* snap the ball as soon as they get to the line. It's purely situational. We're talking maybe 5 snaps a game most games. Even the fastest of the fast teams average ~15 seconds per snap, not 8 or anything ridiculous like that.

The only thing this is going to do is take away the annoying thing they do where they rush up to the line, simulate the snap, then turn and look the sidelines while they scratch their ass and decipher pictograms for 15-20 seconds. And I think we can all agree that's one of the most annoying things in all of sports.

I was going to say that it's about as entertaining as watching 22 dudes stand around in the middle of an open field doing nothing, but then I realized that's not even a metaphor - that's literally what it is.

No, hear me out. Everybody is freaking out about this, but it's going to be nothing but positive.

For one thing, the 40 second clock starts as soon as the previous play has ended. Most teams that hurry to the line don't even get in a position to snap the ball until 6-8 seconds are gone already. And even the most warp-speed spread teams *rarely* snap the ball as soon as they get to the line. It's purely situational. We're talking maybe 5 snaps a game most games. Even the fastest of the fast teams average ~15 seconds per snap, not 8 or anything ridiculous like that.

The only thing this is going to do is take away the annoying thing they do where they rush up to the line, simulate the snap, then turn and look the sidelines while they scratch their ass and decipher pictograms for 15-20 seconds. And I think we can all agree that's one of the most annoying things in all of sports.

I was going to say that it's about as entertaining as watching 22 dudes stand around in the middle of an open field doing nothing, but then I realized that's not even a metaphor - that's literally what it is.

This coming from a Bama fan trying to sugar coat something that Saban is probably a major player behind the scenes in on this rule change.

I thought about this today. Four out of Bama's last five losses have come against teams that hurried up against them. The only team that didn't was LSU and two of those other four losses were to Auburn (the other two were TAMU and Oklahoma).

I will agree with you that this might not be as big of a deal as people are making of it, but it is still significant..

Auburn this year ran fewer plays per game most of the season than Malzahn expected, and the difference is the simulated snap situation prevents the defense from substituting when the offense doesn't substitute.

Plus, there's already a rule in place to allow the Defense to make personnel changes if the Offense changes a single player on its personnel. 

I'm rambling, it's late, I'm tired. You get the point.

You know where the power lies, brother.

I am beyond ready for the Mike Dubose/Mike Shula era to return to the Capstone.

If Kirby sticks around for Saban to retire, I have already nicknamed him Dubose Jr.

I also am happy knowing that we at least win the rivalry in my lifetime. 

Here's the deal: Let's call the hurry-up-and-wait routine what it is - gaming the system. It's essentially exploiting a loophole in the rules. Same deal with a lot of these packaged plays that some spread teams have run a lot of lately - it's exploiting a loophole in the rules about having linemen downfield.

And I certainly don't fault the coaches for doing this stuff. It's their job to win games, and if they think milking the rulebook for all it's worth will help, hey, go for it. It's all technically legal, even if it's not really the intent of the rules. I would probably do it, too, to some extent.

That said, it's falls to the rulemakers to evaluate this stuff and determine if it's becoming a detriment to the game, and I think it is. The game gets so sloppy and unsophisticated when you get these teams that want to go superfast al the time, especially when you get two of them against each other. Just so much bad football that the layperson probably loves because it results in a lot of points. For the sake of the game, they have to do something to get things under control.

I don't think this rule would actually change much, but it's at least a step in the right direction. I think the NCAA would be better off taking something similar to the NFL's stance, which is, the officials dictate the pace of the game, not the offense - you can't snap until the chains are set and the officials are in place. Take away the arbitrary time table and just say that if the defense subs while the chains are in motion, the ref will stand over the ball and let your guys going off clear the sideline before he marks it ready for play.

The NCAA is "considering" a rule that would penalize teams if the snap the ball with more than 29 seconds on the play clock.

I can't even with these fuckers anymore.

That'll learn ya to let a Nick Saban team get beat twice in one year. Nobody does that and lives to tell about it.

• Like 1

New clock rule?  That seems to help the defense?  With Nick Saban being defensive-minded?

Dude's going to win another three national championships.  And folks will deal with the devil.  Again.

Let's be honest, though:  Saban will find a way to win more NCs even if he has to sacrifice a basket of kittens to make it happen.

Forget the clock rule, here's the rule change I want:

No more faking the snap.  Why the hell is this not a false start?  You know the play - everybody lines up, QB in the shotgun, he yells something while raising his leg and bending forward to receive a snap - and nothing. 

Glad the NCAA will also likely be revoking the 15-after-review thing, too.  That was so stupid.  The targeting rule w/review is great.  Just get rid of the penalty for guys who aren't actually guilty of anything.

A couple of alternatives to the proposed 10-second rule I've been thinking about...

As I mentioned before, I think it would be better to adopt that NFL set-up where the officials dictate the pace, not the offenses. With that in mind, I can think of two additions to that which might be helpful:

-After every 1st down, the official will stand over the ball and allow the defense to substitute so long as the defense initiates it's substitution in a timely fashion while the chains are being moved.

Spread coaches aren't going to totally love this, because one of the things they love to do is quicksnap (or pretend to quicksnap) right after 1st down. However, this would still allow them to quicksnap in 2nd/3rd/4th-and-short situations, which they also love to do, without having to allow the defense to sub or to wait some arbitrary period of time.

Or, and I think this is my favorite:

-There's no arbitrary time period or "trigger" (such as what I suggested above) to allow defensive subs. If the offense wants to go a million miles an hour and run up to the line and snap it after every play, fine. HOWEVER, every time the offense does that obnoxious simulate-snap-and-stare routine, the ref will stand over the ball and allow defensive substitutions.

I like this because it puts the onus on the offense. If you wanna go fast, fine. But we're not gonna let you game the system anymore.

Saban will help market the property, give motivational speeches to employees and appear at events to show appreciation to customers, Agresti said. The coach will frequently record new ads for the dealership, Agresti said.

"You'll get to see his smiling face on TV often," Agresti said.

Saban smiling?  Huh? :huh:

Saban will help market the property, give motivational speeches to employees and appear at events to show appreciation to customers, Agresti said. The coach will frequently record new ads for the dealership, Agresti said.

"You'll get to see his smiling face on TV often," Agresti said.

Saban smiling?  Huh? :huh:

The old Simpsons bit comes to mind with Mr Burns trying to smile as you hear glass shattering.

To elaborate on what Jamie Virtue is talking about, Bret Bielema stated that the proposed rule change about when to snap should be enacted.. because Ted Agu died a few weeks ago during a conditioning drill. Really. Not the most accurate comparison and many won't be happy about him using a death on a team he doesn't coach and never coached at to try and prove a point.

• Like 1

In one of the more head-shaking stories of the off-season:  A Louisville recruit is arrested on charges of having sex with his 14-year-old cousin and getting her pregnant.  They started having sex when she was 11 and he was 14, apparently.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/aac/2014/02/25/louisville-signee-sharieff-rhaheed-muhammad-faces-felony-charges-ncaa-football/5822421/

You may not remember the ending to this game in 1995 but now there are allegations that  then starting QB Mike McQueary from Penn State (yeah that same guy) threw the unnecessary TD pass because he needed to cover the spread because of his huge debt betting on Penn state football games:

Paterno apparently had told the offense to go for a first down, effectively ending the game--no scoring.  McQueary went rogue and threw the TD.  Judging from Paterno's reaction, he was legitimately caught off-guard by it.

There's also the rumors that McQueary himself was abused as a child.  How that came to light, I'm not sure.  If ESPN was involved, with their recent issues with handling sensitive topics (Grantland and the transgendered person who committed suicide), that would explain it.

This story just continues. :wacko:

Dottie Sandusky is implying the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania paid off the witnesses in her husband's trial and her husband is innocent.  

Dottie Sandusky is a complicit-in-child-rape, fucking moron. 

If it wasn't so tragic and pathetic, her denial would laughable. IF.

John Ziegler by her side acting like the bastard stepchild of Shylock and Irwin Mainway didn't help either. Sooooo fucking sleazy.

• Like 1

This is in no way a comparable outrage, but ESPN has assigned Brent Musberger and Jesse Palmer as the lead announce team for the SEC Network. Dear God, why?

I was really hoping Musberger would take his dismissal from the Saturday night game as his cue to ride off into the sunset, but I guess he has no dignity left. Not really sure where the top SEC Network game is going to fall in the pecking order, but I greatly anticipate Musberger calling a random Mississippi State/Vanderbilt game like it's the biggest game of the year.

And I have no use for Palmer outside of his comedy duo with David Pollack. And even then, that was just a pale imitation of the legendary Palmer & Pony pairing.