DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Finally got back on here after forever (and waiting for new site login). Went back a few pages to see what people said about the Charlie Strong hire at UT, wish I had been around then to talk about my Horns!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

EA and the former NCAA players suing it have reached a settlement that will pay the players approximately $951 for game in which EA used their likeness without permission.  I am disappointed this didn't actually go to try and that the players are settling for such a low dollar amount.

Doubt it. Unlikely they'd be in the game during a redshirt year.

You'd be surprised the rosters were pretty damn accurate from what I remember. I was also lame enough to go throw and edit the A&M rosters using the A&M team site list and only remember having one or two guys that didn't match up.

A&M, Northwestern, and Arizona have announced that they will no longer sell jerseys with current player numbers on them. This is absolutely in response to all the lawsuits. Nice of the Aggies to make this decision after the most popular college player in a long, long time has left school.

There have only been a handful of players over the past 15 years that were popular enough to generate high jersey sales--Manziel, Tebow, Reggie Bush.  Just a grandstanding load of BS from these schools.  Texas A&M announcing this move AFTER Manziel leaves is hilarious.  He's non-current, so the money still can come in.

There have only been a handful of players over the past 15 years that were popular enough to generate high jersey sales--Manziel, Tebow, Reggie Bush.  

That's not true.  Nationally, maybe.  But at the schools themselves, fans want the star player.  And every school has one.  At Michigan, they wanted Denard.  At Texas, they wanted Colt.  And so on.  When I went to the Michigan/Alabama game, there were Denard Robinson jerseys EVERYWHERE.

There have only been a handful of players over the past 15 years that were popular enough to generate high jersey sales--Manziel, Tebow, Reggie Bush.  

That's not true.  Nationally, maybe.  But at the schools themselves, fans want the star player.  And every school has one.  At Michigan, they wanted Denard.  At Texas, they wanted Colt.  And so on.  When I went to the Michigan/Alabama game, there were Denard Robinson jerseys EVERYWHERE.

I'm just going by my area. Fans seem to want school-centered shirts more than a jersey, unless it's a legendary past player.

And even if fans of one school want the star's jersey, how much money will that generate at $3-4 per sale?  My line of thought is that a player would have to reach national status in order to generate a lot of income for the school.  But I may be underestimating local fanbases.

Also remember there are or have been tons of teams in the past and currently that dont even put players names on jersey at all.

No NCAA school puts player names on jerseys for current players.  That's against the rules.  What they do, and have always done, is seller jerseys with current player numbers but no names.  This announcement by 3 schools means they will stop that practice - and just use unissued numbers (like 12 for A&M).

Also remember there are or have been tons of teams in the past and currently that dont even put players names on jersey at all.

No NCAA school puts player names on jerseys for current players. That's against the rules. What they do, and have always done, is seller jerseys with current player numbers but no names. This announcement by 3 schools means they will stop that practice - and just use unissued numbers (like 12 for A&M).

I meant the actual team

No NCAA school puts player names on jerseys for current players.  That's against the rules.  What they do, and have always done, is seller jerseys with current player numbers but no names.  This announcement by 3 schools means they will stop that practice - and just use unissued numbers (like 12 for A&M).

Northwestern is actually only going to be issuing #51, which was Coach Fitz's number when he played and dominated. But the number isn't retired - an active player still wears it every year. Awkward...

Also a nod to the cult of the 12th Man there.

I'd like to take a moment to pour one out for Comcast/Charter Sports South, which signed off this week after 15 years on the air. Basically, they're losing all their SEC programming to the Network this fall and couldn't support themselves without it.

This fall, I'll badly miss being able to tune in on Sunday afternoons and watch the replays of Saturday's games with the homer radio broadcast played over the ESPN/CBS video. I'm sure the Network will show plenty of replays, but hearing the homer call was always great fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN Events is expected to announce today that the cryptocurrency will star in the new Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl, thanks to a three-year sponsorship from payment services provider BitPay. Bitcoin holders can use the currency to purchase tickets and concessions at the game. The bowl, formerly known as the Beef O’Brady’s Bowl, will also have new conference affiliations, featuring one team from the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and one from the American Athletic Conference. Tickets for the Dec. 26 game in St. Petersburg, Florida will be available through Ticketmaster or can be paid for with bitcoin through the bowl’s site.

I think the best one is when the Lawyer asked Emmert about players doing endorsement deals and Emmert responed by saying if athletes were able to do endorsement deals they would not long be regular students...which ignores the fact that the English major could do an endorsement for a company and still be considered a regular student.