DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

As of now, Strong still hasn't accepted the job. Interesting. How much of an embarrassment would it be for Texas to get turned down for Louisville?

According to Texas sources, the big hangup right now might be that Strong wants to bring his whole staff with him, including Clint Hurtt, and Texas isn't so keen on it. Hurtt is Strong's lead dog in South Florida and is currently under a 2-year show cause for his role in the whole Miami/Shapiro deal.

I can see both sides of that. Texas has the attitude that all the athletes they need are in-state but Strong has made his whole career based on his SoFla connections. So I understand UT spotting a potential liability but Strong not wanting to cut the cord.

If that's how Texas feels, they're nuts. All the rising programs in state chip that great talent base, plus his could it hurt to add some Florida talent?

I don't disagree but I can understand Texas not wanting to take on a coach who's on Double Secret Probation.

I know it isn't a big deal if you will but I was amused re-reading the thread that no one brought up UConn hiring Bob Diaco.

Especially when Chester brought up Notre Dame replacing their field but then there was no mention of their DC leaving :-)

So Golden has backed out of the Penn State deal and is staying at Miami.

Allegedly, they had agreed to a deal, but there was some last second interest from Penn State in the recently fired Mike Munchak. Golden caught wind of it and demanded that they send him something to sign immediately. When they didn't move sufficiently fast enough for him, he publicly took his name out of contention.

Fascinating.

But to Eva's point, he had to play it that way because if they string him along while courting Munchak, Miami's recruiting class probably goes to hell because at that point both he AND his employer are in limbo at the worst possible time.

So if anything, even if it ended with Golden getting the offer when he wanted and leaving, he did right by Miami. Because either he was staying and could then stop any potential damage the rumors could cause his recruiting class or UM could move on with getting a new head coach as soon as possible without having to be held hostage.

Yeah, I think Golden played it right. If there's at least some faction at PSU that's willing to make googly eyes at somebody else after you've already agreed to a deal, then how loyal can you really expect those same people to be down the line? If you go 6-6 in your third year, you can bet they'll be scheming to move you out and get "their guy" in.

At the same time, sure, he's likely put a target on his back with some people at Miami, and it creates maybe a greater sense of urgency for him to produce, but he was already approaching win-big-or-get-out territory in the next season or two, and at least he already has a handle on the situation on the ground in Miami.

I'm just more fascinated by the notion that Penn State had a good hire, a proven solid winner as a HC and a "Paterno guy" to boot, but they're going to flush it down the toilet at the 11th hour for a sub-.500 NFL with zero collegiate coaching experience. Literally, none. That's how dysfunctional they are.

If you are Miami though, do you really still want him after he accepted a different job?

LSU seems to be OK with having Les Miles after he accepted a deal with Michigan while preparing for the national championship.

Exactly.  In a month, no one will remember this.  He may have just nuked Pennsylvania as possible recruiting grounds, but otherwise, no one will care since Golden's now probably not going anywhere for at least a few years.