DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I'm not upset with Golden's potential departure. Miami has known all along this was a possibility and he's left The U in better shape than he found it.

Besides, Chudz is right there as a successor. It's a perfect hire if they can close it.

It's been a slow cycle on the coaching carousel this year, but it's going to get wild once Texas gets their guy. Right now, we've got Texas and Penn State dangling out there, and if they take Jimbo and Golden, respectively, that's two more huge jobs open. And then it trickles down from there. There are going to be a lot of teams scrambling like mad to fill vacancies before Signing Day.

Rarely do I say that a guy would be crazy to move on to the next job, but Jimbo leaving FSU for Texas would be borderline crazy.

I mean, does he REALLY want to go right back to rebuilding a major program that has fallen out of contention, but is in a talent rich state?  Didn't he literally just do that?  Hell, he's not even at the Saban point yet where "new challenges" is a viable argument.  Unless FSU refuses to give him a raise, I just can't figure out why he would even listen to them.

Florida State is an elite program in name only. They lag far behind other elite programs in terms of financial commitment and facilities. Their alumni base is not as large, nor as well endowed as other elite programs. They didn't even sell out all of their home games this year. Just as a point of comparison, their recruiting budget is less than half of Alabama's. (Also less than half of Auburn's. A few years ago, they actually spent less than Texas Tech and Minnesota.) They just opened their first indoor practice facility THIS YEAR. I think their athletic department actually lost money last year, but I could be wrong on that one.

Texas just has way more built-in advantages to help you win than FSU.

Rarely do I say that a guy would be crazy to move on to the next job, but Jimbo leaving FSU for Texas would be borderline crazy.

I mean, does he REALLY want to go right back to rebuilding a major program that has fallen out of contention, but is in a talent rich state?  Didn't he literally just do that?  Hell, he's not even at the Saban point yet where "new challenges" is a viable argument.  Unless FSU refuses to give him a raise, I just can't figure out why he would even listen to them.

Not that it would prevent any movement but they literally gave Jimbo an extension two days ago.

Supposedly it is through 2019 and it would raise his salary to $4 million a year (he currently is at $2.75 million)

LOL. See what I'm saying. Back-to-back ACC titles and a berth in the national championship game, and they don't even offer him a new salary that's remotely competitive with what other elite coaches make. Kirk Ferentz makes $5 mil at Iowa, and he's done jackshit.

Last offseason, he lost his best recruiter, Dameyune Craig, to what was essentially a lateral move to Auburn because of money.

If Texas offers, he gone.

Florida's got a Tea Party governor cracking the whip on spending and slashing the living fuck out of anything that looks remotely educationally based.

No politics meant or intended, this is honestly the best answer I could come up with. 

Here is a report on Penn State with that quote about "Paterno People"  http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/what_will_greg_schiano_al_golden_or_james_franklin_be_getting_into_at_penn_state.html

What the hell I'll just quote it here for the lazy 

"You can print this: You can print that I don't really give a ---- what the 'Paterno people' think about what I do with this program. I've done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I'm tired of it.

"For any 'Paterno person' to have any objection to what I'm doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now."

He was just getting started:

"I'm trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty ----ing sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, it's skewed as an excuse. And I'm not an excuse-maker. I'm trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. That's all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as I'm the head football coach here."

I'm wondering what percentage of them still think Sandusky Paterno was innocent. I'm betting it's scarily high, which be anything above 0%.

FTFY, sadly.

Jesus, that is world class bitterness for a guy who by all accounts has been wildly successful in the face of insane sanctions.  (and only after 24 months too!)

I was talking about this with a friend and he said "what bullshit [for Paterno People to call him a traitor].  He was hired for the specific purpose of being fired after PSU sucked for three years.  They could then blame him and the sanctions and then bring in whoever it is they TRULY wanted."

We agreed it's glorious he's giving the school and the sanctimonious fans the finger on the way out. 

Have I said "Fuck Joe Paterno" recently?

Because, seriously, fuck him and his "legacy."

Bill O'Brien massively overachieved in a terrible situation, and got shit on for it, and I don't blame him for one bit.  Even if he crashes and burns in Houston, he'll be a good candidate for another college job down the line.

• Like 1

It looks like 61 year old d-line coach Larry Johnson has thrown his hat into the ring for the Penn State job, he's the only Paterno assistant left on the staff and seems to be the choice of the "Paterno People."

I've not heard of the guy you're talking about, so my mind went here instead. 

larry-johnson-grandmama.jpg

Reality can only be a letdown, comparatively. 

• Like 3

I've checked out some Penn State message boards recently, just to gauge reaction to this, and it's chilling how many people still have Joe in their sigs and avatars.

Franco Harris went to PSU games carrying a fucking cardboard cut out of Joe Paterno. The Paterno People are a blight on humanity.

You made good points on the other page about FSU being an elite program "in name only" but if that description applies to any job, it's Penn State. Who in their right mind would want to deal with those lunatics?