DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

See, that's the danger inherent to hiring an NFL assistant. They're always going to have that desire to be an NFL coach in the back of their mind. Same thing happened with Jagodzinski and Boston College a few years back: got successful and within two years he was interviewing for an NFL gig. Of course, then BC fired his ass for it.

See, that's the danger inherent to hiring an NFL assistant. They're always going to have that desire to be an NFL coach in the back of their mind. Same thing happened with Jagodzinski and Boston College a few years back: got successful and within two years he was interviewing for an NFL gig. Of course, then BC fired his ass for it.

Then don't give him an NFL buyout. I'm guessing they could but language in that would have prevented him from going to Ohio State or Michigain why couldn't they have done the same for the NFL

Someone with more knowledge can speak better on this, but the NFL isn't considered a direct competitor.  So with that in mind, I think most college programs won't ask for that clause in a contract.  Not to mention that if they did start asking for it, their candidate pool would dwindle quite a bit.  So it's a matter of give and take.

That would be a terrible hire. Schiano did nothing at Rutgers after Ray Rice left. Couldn't even win a champsionship in the shitty Big East, even when he had Rice.

That still doesn't mean he isn't the favorite :-)

Question cause I'm not sure how it works but isn't right now a dead period for recruiting? If so wouldn't be a violation for O'Brien to have contact with a recruit? I ask cause on Mike and Mike this morning they mentioned that a top recruit for Penn St tweeted that he spoke to O'Brien and O'Brien said he was staying.

Recruits can call coaches, but that's it. Coaches can't call them, and no face to face contact of any kind.

So if Recruit Whoever heard those reports, it's perfectly okay for them to call up Penn State and be like, "What the fuck?" The dead period is mainly there to protect the kids from being hounded during the holidays.

Recruits can call coaches, but that's it. Coaches can't call them, and no face to face contact of any kind.

So if Recruit Whoever heard those reports, it's perfectly okay for them to call up Penn State and be like, "What the fuck?" The dead period is mainly there to protect the kids from being hounded during the holidays.

So the dead period is more a lock down on face to face recruiting that makes sences

PFT says O'Brien got sick of PSU politics post-Paterno and that's part of why he left. My opinions on Penn State are no big secret here, but I can't say I'm the least bit surprised.

Rumor is Schiano or Golden are candidates.

PFT says O'Brien got sick of PSU politics post-Paterno and that's part of why he left. My opinions on Penn State are no big secret here, but I can't say I'm the least bit surprised.

Rumor is Schiano or Golden are candidates.

I've yet to master the art of linking on the new board, but here's the article with direct quotes from O'Brien on "Paterno people."

EDIT:...the fuck? I can't even just cnp the url now?

Well, it's on pennlive, for anyone interested.

Anyway, Penn State fans should chill out and just be grateful for the job O'Brien did there. The bottom line is, he took a job not many people wanted, stayed longer than most people would have, and his teams were more successful than they had any right to be on paper. The last two seasons could have been a LOT worse.

Unfortunately for Penn State, the "Paterno people" will sieze on this and make a regressive hire of some "Paterno guy." I will die laughing if they hire Larry Johnson. I've already seen some rank-and-file JoeBots championing him.

Outside of the Paterno guys, James Franklin seems to have the most juice, but surely PENN STATE, of all places, isn't going to hire a guy mired in a possible rape coverup scandal, right?

Penn State might be better off relying strictly on their coordinators for the next few seasons. Has a program ever ran without a head coach long term, not including sitting coaches where the coach has been suspended? I say this with a bit of sarcasm and a sprinkle of interest.

Penn State might be better off relying strictly on their coordinators for the next few seasons. Has a program ever ran without a head coach long term, not including sitting coaches where the coach has been suspended? I say this with a bit of sarcasm and a sprinkle of interest.

They already had the coordinators run the show. It's called Paterno's last five years

• Like 1

They already had the coordinators run the show. It's called Paterno's last five years

Good point.