DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/18 - 10/24/2023 - Nick Wayne's Mom Has Got It Goin' On

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Danielson vs Andrade is technically a dream match because the match will be a reproduction of a recent dream Bryan Danielson had

That's the only way that is a dream match, for sure. 

Mistico/Rocky was fine, but... slow? And yet the ref counted fast. Fans seemed really into it but it wasn't all that special. The announce team was treating it like nobody's watched lucha before in the United States too which was pretty pointless. 

Jay Lethal was halfway to doing his Flair impression again, especially right at the end there. He should have just gone all the way and elbow dropped the ground. 

I wasn't about to watch that three-way. The BCC squash was a squash; Claudio shaved! The whole ex-JAS beef needs to finally blow over. It is fun hearing Matt Menard be loud and stupid though. This picture comes up when you Google him, first off: 

Spoiler

Wrestling Inc.

and it looks exactly like he sounds. 

Skye/Ruby getting a PnP break made me mad. You already gave two full between-falls ones in the first match and ostensibly one in the three-way, can't you just let this one ride? Anyway, kind of a weird match. Skye was trying to no-sell while also being stiff and it wasn't coming off as good as it could have. Otherwise the work looked really crisp from both gals but also really rehearsed. The mean stuff from Skye was nice and Ruby's nasty STO was cool. Then Saraya whiffs on some strikes and Kris runs out with a wifebeater and no bra. They must've wanted to save the finish somehow?

• Like 2

Seems like women getting the main event match on Rampage has quietly become SOP, and that seems like a good decision. 

Seems like fuck finishes in the main events is also a thing now... I am less happy about that, personally.

Rocky vs Mistico 2 outa 3 falls makes me extraordinarily happy just by existing. 

Orange's match tomorrow will be fun, for sure. Also, it will determine once and for all which is the superior colour

Claudio & Wheeler really work well as a tandem now. That was a groovy showcase of their teamwork.

Three more fun hours coming up tomorrow! Also, elsewhere, Ospreay vs Josh, Kento vs Aoyagi... I heard WALTER vs Jonah was really good... It's a non-stop river of excellent match-ups. Literally too much fun. Yikes!

I am sure Bryan vs Andrade will be excellent... But... Didn't it already happen in WWE? I think that, technically, disqualifies it from "Dream Match" status, but I am willing to listen to arguments to the contrary. Did Tony K actually announce it? I somehow missed it if he did. 

(Edit: He was even wearing Seahawks-coloured gear for their match! That popped me).

I worry sometimes that the neverending bounty of this buffet is going to spoil us. So we'll churlishly complain about, let's say, Edge getting pushed over JD Drake or Dragon vs Idolo not being a *true* dream match or too many fuck finishes.

Hey... It *could* happen!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

I'd be happy with Rampage being a matchup of international talents doing wrestling for the sake of wrestling, main evented by the women, with the occasional squash in there.

This was pretty much what I want out of rampage every week that is realistic.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The problem with the perception of lucha today is that it’s Kommander or Vikingo hitting a billion spots with the only thought going into how long it takes to set them up. Rocky v Mistico was great, the most authentic lucha presentation on US tv I can recall in years. If slow means letting the match breathe, sign me up, this was the lucha I love.

• Like 9

Looking at the AEW and NJPW roster, need these Bryan Danielson matches that are yet to happen in either:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Darby Allin.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Tetsuya Naito.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Cash Wheeler.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Penta El Zero Miedo so Danielson can take Penta's hands when he does that fucking taunt and do some joint manipulation on them. Fucker will still do it anyway. Grrr.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Jay White.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Lance Archer.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Orange Cassidy.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Yano.

At the start of the year, Kazuchika Okada and Zack Sabre Jr were here but luckily I got to cross them off.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, matwarz said:

The problem with the perception of lucha today is that it’s Kommander or Vikingo hitting a billion spots with the only thought going into how long it takes to set them up. Rocky v Mistico was great, the most authentic lucha presentation on US tv I can recall in years. If slow means letting the match breathe, sign me up, this was the lucha I love.

I think the logic of what lucha broke through in the US, at least in the 90s, was that the matwork guys weren’t gonna pop eyeballs but the highspots guys would. Either because American fans didn’t care about matwork or because our promotions already had guys that we considered matwork guys.

Sorta like how some Japanese baseball players don’t break through to the American majors because they don’t have plus-velo or power despite being fundamentally good. Or how most of the American players that end up in NPB are power dudes filling a void in a Japanese team’s lineup.

Matwork might be a little more over these days than the late 90s.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, matwarz said:

It was basically a modern CMLL title match on AEW TV. Maybe the balance could have been a little different and been even more genuine (shorter segunda; more near falls and laying around -these are not necessarily a good thing) but I can’t think of any match on US tv ever that tried to do what this match did. 

• Like 6

I didn’t get the chance to watch Rampage (playoff baseball), did Mistico/Romero involve “corner men” like Lucha title matches have because that’s a feature that really has some utility if it started being regularly done in the US. Faces would have somebody in the corner only because the heel has someone in his corner. The heel corner person would start some nonsense that the face corner person would need ro deal with.

Would make more sense than babyfaces losing because they’re going it alone against a faction.

I didn’t think it was slow, but as a 90s kid I think I tend to mentally frame lucha or junior heavyweight stuff on how much I would’ve lost it seeing it as a random match thrown on an episode of Nitro. This would’ve killed on Nitro. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, my viewpoint might be a little poisoned by the highspotters too. At the same time this wasn't a bunch of llave, it was still roperunning, dives, avoidance, trademark high spots. They probably could have used corner guys. The announce team saying that lucha refs typically just stand there in the corner amused me because I immediately thought of heel refs like Tirantes getting all up in people's business.

Mistico v Romero gave good reason to check this show out. The hype was going to be difficult to live up to, but it was a nice solid bout. Eddie Kingston/Jay Lethal/Jarrett/etc Promo was excellent. Maybe the highlight of the show. Strange production angle made Kingston look like a Giant. Stoked for Kingston v Jarrett. I skimmed Kip Sabian v John Silver v Isaiah Kassidy. Enhancement talent batting it out for a title shot and the follow-up BOTB title fight are Whack Ass Dogshit booking. Terrible. Please do better AEW. Santana-Ortiz video was fine. It'd be nice to have one measley reason I could believe Ortiz might win. Bucks/Page promo was fine. I just couldn't muster enough interest in Skye Blue v Ruby to not skip to the end. Ugh, there I see Saraya completely miss Skye on the interference before another shit finish. Feel the Heat! Rampage baby! Oh man, so stoked for Andrade v Danielson! Fucking awesome! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The whole ex-JAS beef needs to finally blow over. It is fun hearing Matt Menard be loud and stupid though. This picture comes up when you Google him, first off: 

Hard agree on Menard dude. We're in the home stretch of watching Saturday Afternoon Rampage (smoke break before Ruby v Skye) and I came by here quick *specifically* to post that, despite the fact that 'hillbilly bitch' was a 10/10 line from Kingston tonight (and he's certainly had plenty of 'em) and despite my gushing about Edge/Renee's sit down the other day, the promo of the All-Elite-week-so-far once again goes to the former J.A.S. I thought everybody absolutely killed it on this one. Obviously Dad Mag brings the bombast, but Hager had awesome lines, Ang as the straight man, a wildly improved Garcia - all of them were pitch perfect here but I also want to specifically shout Anna as well - there were a couple of times in those endless Jericho town halls and when she was with Dark Order where I thought she was super shaky, but she was fantastic here and hung with the rest of them just fine so kudos to her, she seems to be right on that Garcia track verbally.

Also a quick WTF: the fact that 'The Proud N Powerful Explode!' A) isn't being referred to such, and B) is relegated to Rampage and not Full Gear, is a sin. Truly hope this is merely the first encounter and we get a big PPV bout down the line.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Looking at the AEW and NJPW roster, need these Bryan Danielson matches that are yet to happen in either:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Darby Allin.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Tetsuya Naito.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Cash Wheeler.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Penta El Zero Miedo so Danielson can take Penta's hands when he does that fucking taunt and do some joint manipulation on them. Fucker will still do it anyway. Grrr.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Jay White.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Lance Archer.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Orange Cassidy.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Yano.

At the start of the year, Kazuchika Okada and Zack Sabre Jr were here but luckily I got to cross them off.

What about Danielson vs Jarrett? We need to see Jeff’s version of the Yes! 

• Like 2