DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

Watching it back everything was going so well.  Accept challenge, want the belt back, talk about the ring, sure.  All that is great and the crowd was with them.  Then he busts out the quarters and not only was it so not needed the crowd was taken out of it.  Maybe they too were thinking about the last few days or if not maybe it just didn't make sense to them.  It's frustrating, very maddening and honestly it's going to take some serious course correction to get things back on track.

And yes, I know Juice has used the quarters before but they couldn't have saved that in a feud with literally anybody else?  On its own at a different time it's a fine thing for a heel to do.  But wrong person, wrong time and just wrong all around.

EDIT:  I'm trying to think how to try and salvage this.  At first I was thinking MJF nukes Juice in a squash match and it takes him mostly off TV building up to Full Gear.  But that just doesn't feel right to me to further use this for something wrestling-related.  But it could maybe take the heat off and also be AEW showing an admission of guilt.  So I dunno, maybe?  Maybe not?  The whole thing feels off either way and it's hard to make chicken salad out of this.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

EDIT:  I'm trying to think how to try and salvage this.  At first I was thinking MJF nukes Juice in a squash match and it takes him mostly off TV building up to Full Gear.  But that just doesn't feel right to me to further use this for something wrestling-related.  But it could maybe take the heat off and also be AEW showing an admission of guilt.  So I dunno, maybe?  Maybe not?  The whole thing feels off either way and it's hard to make chicken salad out of this.

MJF does his event on Thursday. MJF wins next dominantly week (regardless of what they would have done; maybe they steal the ring anyway, maybe he just gets the belt back too). The quarters absolutely don't come into play. They transition right to BCG vs MJF/Acclaimed (MJF wins dominantly and then gets beat down by BCG and Acclaimed make the save) and let tags carry things for the next few weeks while never mentioning this again. Have the new story be about MJF learning to make new friends and trust someone else, maybe some history he might have with Billy Gunn. Then you can have Cole jealous later or something. Just get past it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Juice doesn't even need the quarters if he or another member of BCG wins the Dynamite Diamond Ring. They have a foreign object that the Bang Bang Gang can *ahem* pass around AND it adds to the power of Juice's dreaded left hand AND it has personal meaning to MJF AND they've already mentioned it in the storyline.

• Like 4

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

They're not gonna salvage it. It's that simple. They're gonna go through with it for good or ill unless there is massive online pushback.

Oh, no way they're going to salvage it.  I was just meandering around a way to get past it as quickly as possible but Matt had the much better idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The inability to be subtle made the quarters thing worse than it should have been. Everyone knows Juice uses the roll of quarters as his weapon of choice, and everyone knows about Max's antisemitic bullying story centering around quarters. Anyone who needed to get the angle would've gotten it.  Writing FRIEDMAN on the roll of quarters and zooming in on it makes things look a lot worse to a casual viewer. I don't think there was any ill intent, but much like the misogynistic lines that Caster slips in his raps, sometimes creative freedom still needs some oversight. Hopefully there won't be much more to this than Juice trying to grab the quarters in the match, then immediately getting blasted by the diamond ring and otherwise beaten handily. Keep the focus on the main event with Jay which is the big program here.

Yeah, it's probably not a HUGE difference, but it is a difference between having "MJF" on the roll and "FRIEDMAN" on the role.  It definitely makes everything feel a lot more intentional.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

I'm guessing Tony's seen some preliminary numbers judging by how he's going insane on Twitter.

I would think if people in the know knew they were really bad for AEW WWE would've already leaked them.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Judging from what MJF posted on Twitter a couple of hours ago, it sounds like it was his idea and he's fully committed to seeing it through.

That was a dumb post by MJF.  Like you said, he shouldn't have brought up the story in the first place.  Yes, it's his story, not a gimmick like Mohammad Hassan, but it's also the story of millions of other marginalized people and it shouldn't be cheapened by being used in a wrestling angle.  This isn't an author or filmmaker using their lives' tales of antisemitism for books or films, respectively.  Unlike other entertainment forms, wrestling has always been lowbrow and cannot be trusted to deal with heavy subjects with the dignity they deserve.  This is why we should not do angles on racism, rape, domestic assault, antisemitism, and the like.  Wrestling has never proven it can do this stuff justice and it always ends up being crass.  I'd love for that to change but, in an artform where any complex conflict must always come down to guys in their underwear pretending to fight, I don't see how it ever will.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

AEW would have gotten closer to NXT in the ratings if Roddy’s flophouse had a TV in it

Roddy has a Nielsen box? Or whatever they use for that these days? Like I said, those douches just stashed all the TV's away, so Cole is in the dark. So, a double dick-move if he could have helped the ratings. I'm sure the giraffe was also looking forward to watching Dynamite!

clearly AEW won the ratings last night if you count for

1) the fact that at least 100,000 people who tuned into NXT accidentally thinking Edge was gonna wrestle there

2) the fact that there were 200,000 people who were planning on watching Dynamite tonight

3) the fact that some of the TV listings didn't tell people exactly when the show was

4) the fact that the Cable Dahmer had thousands of raving AEWmaniacs while the Performance Center had 100 people there

5) the fact that the WWE cheated by trying to put on a show that people wanted to see instead of conceding Tony Khan's birthday

call me Tony

(should I sarcasm tag that)