DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

In other news, Chikara is allegedly returning in February.

Did they issue a 78-page press release on PDF announcing their return?

Yeah, but it flew under the radar because the only way to find it was to get the url from under a rock that was hidden in a vacant parking lot but the only way to find the parking lot was to get the geolocation from a YouTube video that was only distributed through a Tweet from an account that's all in Klingon and only follows Imagine Dragons.

• Like 4

I wish I was tech savvy enough to have found a way to record that show because it was great. Glad to see someone found a clip. I've always wondered why at least at the bigger house shows they don't film them and sell them as downloads or DVDs? To me it would be a new revenue stream that would be low risk-high reward. Everyone who went to the show would've probably pre ordered it if given the opportunity and it would've been like selling two tickets.

Also, double main event in Newark with Kane vs Show in a cage with Booker T as guest ref (wish it were Kane vs Mark Henry) and Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio vs John Cena and Rey Mysterio (which sounds great). I just hope they have Rhodes Brothers vs Real Americans face each other again because those matches are a joy to watch.

Someone teach this guy to do the thing with the thing.

So, with the recent revival of tag wrestling, and Cornette being all over podcasts, I'm really in the mood to watch some good Midnight Express stuff.

What are the seminal matches (that are probably on Youtube).

I mean, the Southern Boys/Midnight match is one of my favorite tags ever, and I've seen a variety of RnR matches (though they all kind of blend in together) and I've seen Skywalkers, of course, but what else from the Originals and the Sweet Stan version?

Thanks!

So, with the recent revival of tag wrestling, and Cornette being all over podcasts, I'm really in the mood to watch some good Midnight Express stuff.

What are the seminal matches (that are probably on Youtube).

I mean, the Southern Boys/Midnight match is one of my favorite tags ever, and I've seen a variety of RnR matches (though they all kind of blend in together) and I've seen Skywalkers, of course, but what else from the Originals and the Sweet Stan version?

Thanks!

Gotta see the match where Bobby and Stan drop the belts to the Road Warriors.

Also the Clash matches against the Dynamic Dudes and Fantastics.

One annoying thing about wrestler podcasts is that no one seems to have paid attention to the tag revival. I hear the "Tag team wrestling is dead" talking point all the time.

I was thinking that too, but to be fair we're talking about a few months. I'm sure guys like Austin and Cornette are thinking about teams that toured the country for years and years and years. I'm loving what's been going on Raw or SD, but when you figure that The Shield are gonna be splintering and that Goldy and Cody are rumored to be fighting at 'Mania, you kind of have to wonder whether this "revival" is something for the long haul. Of course, in their one year The Shield have wrestled seemingly 1,000 tags and six-mans so they're probably the closest to what a territory-era team went through.

• Like 2

One annoying thing about wrestler podcasts is that no one seems to have paid attention to the tag revival. I hear the "Tag team wrestling is dead" talking point all the time.

You have to remember these revivals never last, so people are waiting for the bubble to burst again. 

I wish I was tech savvy enough to have found a way to record that show because it was great. Glad to see someone found a clip. I've always wondered why at least at the bigger house shows they don't film them and sell them as downloads or DVDs? To me it would be a new revenue stream that would be low risk-high reward. Everyone who went to the show would've probably pre ordered it if given the opportunity and it would've been like selling two tickets.

Also, double main event in Newark with Kane vs Show in a cage with Booker T as guest ref (wish it were Kane vs Mark Henry) and Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio vs John Cena and Rey Mysterio (which sounds great). I just hope they have Rhodes Brothers vs Real Americans face each other again because those matches are a joy to watch.

They really should put some house show matches up on YouTube. I'm guessing the only reason they don't is because they don't wanna air anything without announcers and production value and all that slick WWE stuff, but it's a shame. They could even do special stuff like when they do a European tour, bring in Johnny Saint to wrestle Regal or Cesaro and put it on the web. Don't waste TV time on it since your audience doesn't know who Saint is, but those of us who'd like it can seek it out and the English fans who are there live who may have grown up on Saint can have a cool nostalgic moment.

But it'll never happen.

Speaking of the Midnights, HOLY SHIT. Never saw this angle.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the Dynamic Dudes turn (on my fancy Clash VHS tape I got around 1992) and will definitely check out the other stuff.

• Like 2

They really should put some house show matches up on YouTube. I'm guessing the only reason they don't is because they don't wanna air anything without announcers and production value and all that slick WWE stuff, but it's a shame. They could even do special stuff like when they do a European tour, bring in Johnny Saint to wrestle Regal or Cesaro and put it on the web. Don't waste TV time on it since your audience doesn't know who Saint is, but those of us who'd like it can seek it out and the English fans who are there live who may have grown up on Saint can have a cool nostalgic moment.

But it'll never happen.

I read somewhere that they are putting out a "Not seen on RAW" type of DVD set that will feature post-RAW dark matches/segments, etc.

But it'll never happen.

I'd seroiusly be willing to pay a months wages to see, like, Terry Rudge stretch out anyone for 10 minutes or so.

I wish I was tech savvy enough to have found a way to record that show because it was great. Glad to see someone found a clip. I've always wondered why at least at the bigger house shows they don't film them and sell them as downloads or DVDs?

Because people would quickly realize that they run the same show every night?

Haha.  Goldberg still outdraws HHH.  I expected the FOley DVD to do better, but then again I also expected to watch it at some point and never did.  In all honesty, there have been like 40 HHH DVDs.  Nobody likes the guy that much.

I'm more curious what the sales figures for the Mid-South set ended up being. That seems like possibly the most "niche" DVD set they've ever put out. I remember reading how the AWA set didn't do that well, and I'm not sure if still is, but at some point the Superstar Billy Graham was supposedly the lowest-selling official WWE DVD release with under 10,000 units sold.

Very cool still to see the WCW-related sets doing so well comparatively. Keeping hope alive for "The Best of WCW Saturday Night"!

All I know is that the Mid-South set dropped from 19.99 to 12.94 at Wal-Mart in like a month.  Can't be a good sign.

Also, what are all these tons of Triple H releases?  To the best of my knowledge, there was the one from way back when they first started doing profile discs, the two disc one from like 2004 or 2005, and now the newest 3 disc set.  That's less than, say, Rey Misterio (who I love, but is clearly not as big a star) and way less than guys like Foley, Austin, and Taker.