DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP61OgZCA-Q

This MIGHT be the most we get from this. It might not. It might get taken down. It might not. So you have a choice. You can watch the three minutes of this and see the finish and some good action before it goes down or you can wait and hope that someone will post the whole thing and not spoil yourself on the ending of the match.

I clicked out of curiosity. What the fuck was those running things Cody was doing as soon as he was tagged in?

Yeah, the WWE has the screws to the talent, no question.  They run the same arenas as basketball/hockey teams, which each play 82 regular-season games, a handful of pre-season games, and some of them play playoff games (compared to 52/3 RAWs, 52/3 Smackdowns, 13 PPVs, and innumerable house shows each year for the WWE).  Those teams pay their roster more, fly them around in charter jets, cover their health care entirely, etc.

That said, it's much easier to become a WWE wrestler than it is to become an NBA player.

Speaking of comparing the WWE and the NBS, when it comes to taxes, do wrestlers have to pay state taxes for every state they wrestle in? Because NBA/MLB/NFL guys do.

Yeah, the WWE has the screws to the talent, no question.  They run the same arenas as basketball/hockey teams, which each play 82 regular-season games, a handful of pre-season games, and some of them play playoff games (compared to 52/3 RAWs, 52/3 Smackdowns, 13 PPVs, and innumerable house shows each year for the WWE).  Those teams pay their roster more, fly them around in charter jets, cover their health care entirely, etc.

That said, it's much easier to become a WWE wrestler than it is to become an NBA player.

Speaking of comparing the WWE and the NBS, when it comes to taxes, do wrestlers have to pay state taxes for every state they wrestle in? Because NBA/MLB/NFL guys do.

Mr. Flair, when asked to comment on wrestlers paying taxes...

2040%20-%20WWE_Hall_Of_Fame_Induction_Ce

I know actors and comics have to pay state taxes in any state they work in. Someone I know really well filed a quarterly tax return of over 300 pages this year when you combine out-of-state work and expenses.

I'd imagine wrestlers stuff a LOT of receipts into their fanny packs.

Anything they do related to their performances -- travel costs, wardrobe, etc. Traveling comics and commercial actors can deduct rental cars fees, the mileage for driving, tolls, hotel rooms, etc. Actors and comics can even deduct clothing purchases as long as they wear what they purchase on stage. I'm not sure but there's a good chance anything a wrestler buys to wear at a promotional appearance would probably fall under that category.

Someone I know really well who is a working comic filed a quarterly tax return of over 300 pages this year for federal taxes alone. There are accountants who strictly work with people in the entertainment industry because of how complicated all of that stuff is.

I was a full-time freelance writer for a while. I could deduct my Internet, computer maintenance costs, any food purchases if I bought lunch for people I was interviewing, mileage for driving, toll receipts, my cable bill (I wrote about business and finance news and needed CNBC and I deducted the MLB Extra Innings package because I wrote about baseball), newspaper and magazine subscriptions, books, etc.  I even managed to deduct a certain percentage for the size of my house because I use my home as an office, essentially.

I'm now really curious about guys who work for Ring of Honor or Chikara or the other Philly-based leagues. We have a city wage tax that knocks off 4% of your salary automatically. I'm assuming anyone who works a wrestling show in Philly (even the WWE guys) have to pay that local tax. People who commute from the suburbs have to pay that for full-time work. I had to pay it as a freelancer. It suuuuucks.

Do any indie guys have a Williamsburg (or Portland, etc.) hipster character yet? I would think this would be a great heel character. Imagine seeing some dude with a painter's cap, ironic mustache, some band T-shirt and skinny jeans riding a fixed gear bike to the ring? "I am the only professional wrestler endorsed by Pitchfork! NONE OF YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS!" He could even use his bike lock as a weapon.

• Like 1

Do any indie guys have a Williamsburg (or Portland, etc.) hipster character yet? I would think this would be a great heel character. Imagine seeing some dude with a painter's cap, ironic mustache, some band T-shirt and skinny jeans riding a fixed gear bike to the ring? "I am the only professional wrestler endorsed by Pitchfork! NONE OF YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS!" He could even use his bike lock as a weapon.

An Indy hipster gimmick? That could be just about anyone with a long beard. They would just need a hat.

I have no problem with Rowan doing it because it makes him look inept and crazy. Like nobody else would use the claw, but this wild swamp man thinks it works. Now he needs to steal the spot where the claw gets stuck on the turnbuckle. Well... it might make him look stupid, but I don't care, it's funny.

Thst or have someone else force Rowan to give himself the claw.

In other news, Chikara is allegedly returning in February.

Did they issue a 78-page press release on PDF announcing their return?

• Like 1

An Indy hipster gimmick? That could be just about anyone with a long beard. They would just need a hat.

He could make fun of people for not drinking artisan coffee and craft beer and eating $10 cupcakes out of food trucks. He could come to the ring with "Ho Hey" as his entrance music.

He could make fun of people for not drinking artisan coffee and craft beer and eating $10 cupcakes out of food trucks. He could come to the ring with "Ho Hey" as his entrance music.

He could come to the ring in a food truck.

• Like 4

So I guess Mark Henry and Kizarney got into it a little bit on Twitter:

TheMarkHenry @TheMarkHenry 21h

@SiNNbODHi listen man if you want it with me great I will peel your skin off with my hands. There have been many gimmicks that did not work.

inn Bodhi - Kizarny @SiNNbODHi 2h

@TheMarkHenry lol Kizarny gimmick was Vince's idea but I'm not an iron bar u can bend I fight back! I do appreciate you're 1st tweet. Xmas!

Mark Henry is who we want him to be.

• Like 1

so the Hipster gimmick would try to finish opponents with the Spinning Toe Hold?

so the Hipster gimmick would try to finish opponents with the Spinning Toe Hold?

Yeah, something ironic like that or an IRON CLAW, to tie it back in. Or if he's also politically active, he could call it The Daily Kos or something like that.

Yeah, something ironic like that or an IRON CLAW, to tie it back in. Or if he's also politically active, he could call it The Daily Kos or something like that.

• Like 1