DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/23 - 8/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Jrag said:

Overall I did like this show quite a bit even if my main talking point is a negative. Other cool things about this show. Ospreay calling out Danielson and Punk, MJF sit down and Renee having like 10 segments.

I read Ospreay's promo as a hint at an MJF feud in the future bruv: his use of "better than...."; Referencing his contract in 2024; not directly calling out the champ amongst those he did call out.

On the Swerve/Darby stuff I liked where we got to (Christian is a far better storyteller than AR Fox) without liking the route we took. Love that Swerve and Darby are so prominent right now, they're both guys to build around!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, caley said:

It was especially good on the Canadian broadcast because it went somber voice, plug, to a completely black screen with "Whopper whopper whopper whopper" playing. In fact there were two straight at breaks with no picture. It was weird

Must of been the new guy working the SIMSUB at Master Control because he has a bad night all the way around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There's nothing wrong with putting your family over your career, but it might have ramifications for your future. 

In this case, the ramification of not being able to work on the biggest wrestling show ever is already an excessive sacrifice. I imagine at any point in Fox's career, the prospect of getting locked in a casket by Sting in front of 80,000 people would've been a dream come true for him.

There's ways they can recover, but I think Jrag's point is that it's far more likely that Fox slips through the cracks instead of TK making a concentrated effort to regain the momentum he had once he gets back. The fix was pretty simple too if Fox couldn't make it. They brutalize Nick Wayne, then he shoves the bloody shirt in mom's face and gets suspended for touching a fan (trusting that at least a few people will remember that no-no list that cited touching fans and bleeding in the crowd). Then you film a segment with Mogul Embassy scrambling before Christian walks up to bail them out (for a hefty fee to be paid by Nana) for Collision.

Hire me, Tony. I'll move the family to Jacksonville.

• Like 5

Mega Chav Ospreay rules.  He really dialed it up last night.  That was a fire promo once he got going, to the point I thought Jericho would have a tough time following it.  Already the match I was looking forward to the most and that segment got me hyped.

Loved the chaotic open.  Juice KO'ing Knox popped me, did not see that coming.

Didn't really like the Fenix injury angle.  Hate when they use the 'Owen voice' for worked injuries.  Thought Eddie kinda saved it backstage with Renee.

I'll wait and see how they follow up the Fox angle, especially in regards to Nick Wayne.  I believe he just signed a new contract so hopefully they have a plan.  I thought they'd replace Fox with Cage, just the other one, not the CLB.  They can't seem to get out of their own way with Swerve's booking.  I thought he was on his way to being a top guy a year ago but he's never built consistent momentum with all the stop-start booking and disappearing for weeks at a time.  He still feels right on the cusp if they'd get behind him 100% and I like the pairing with Prince Nana

Appreciated them giving Aussie Open a spotlight win and The Hardys for being so unselfish.  Thought they cut a good promo after the match too.  I was expecting Ospreay to get involved at the end, bringing out Jericho, which brings out Takeshita, which brings out The Elite, which brings out BCG etc. etc. and the show ending with a chaotic brawl like it started.  Instead we got ANOTHER MJF-Cole tease.  I'm over it already.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I was expecting Ospreay to get involved at the end, bringing out Jericho, which brings out Takeshita, which brings out The Elite, which brings out BCG etc. etc. and the show ending with a chaotic brawl like it started.  Instead we got ANOTHER MJF-Cole tease.  I'm over it already.

Oh wow, that would have been great

• Thanks 1

The Gunns looked really good out there this week.  Snappy bumps and getting a lot of cohesion out of Juice that’s really putting it together.

Face MJF is fantastic.  As a recovering asshole.  I’m along for the ride.  These matches with Cole are going to be so much fun.

I want to toss my vote in on how effective Renee is in making this show fly.  

I got another year before Mox goes Stone Cold bald.  I hope those ghosts standing behind him and Claudio in the promo photo actually show up.  You always get extra long Mox entrances in the international feed because they always coincide with a commercial break.   Mox really has come to understand his role these days.  He is one of the bigger dudes in the locker room and he wrestles like it these days.  The scrappy underdog that was Dean Ambrose is loooooong gone.  I want a match with Joe.

Shout out to the Funker without whom I’d never strayed from WWF when he showed up mean and lean in 89 WCW.   Somebody should have done an angle that involves a smothering with a plastic grocery store bag.  Let’s see if those TNT executives are actually paying attention.

I’ll forgive the Avalanche Death Rider as long nobody kicks out of it for a very long time.  Fenix is special.  Let him be special.  

Also Draft Kings ads already make me sad so a somber delivery is appropriate in my view.  

• Like 3

On 8/23/2023 at 11:40 PM, Go2Sleep said:

The AR Fox thing sucked so bad. They had a great heel team going that should've been tag champs by the end of the year. Darby might have reason to forgive Fox, but it makes no sense for Nick Wayne to do the same. It's a testament to how good Swerve is that he's able to constantly withstand being the worst booked wrestler in the company by a lot. Christian's promo distracted from the fact that he's a total letdown as a last minute replacement.

I always So there's this movie called Kissing a Fool which is notable for being Produced and Starring David Schwimmer in 98.  Written by one James Frey notable for his fabricated Memoir A million Little Pieces. The Plot involves a man having his best friend trying sleep with his girlfriend. Roger Ebert's review states that "none of the characters behaves at any moment like any human being we have ever met"find myself coming back to that line when people act nonsensically in wrestling like Nick Wayne instantly forgiving AR Fox, this is the stuff that I consider "business exposing" in 2023

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not a fan of the Fox thing, but did Wayne forgive him? People keep saying that, but I don't recall any interaction between them. Darby forgave him and they hugged, but did Wayne?

I thought he just stood there bleeding, glaring at Swerve. I may be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

I always So there's this movie called Kissing a Fool which is notable for being Produced and Starring David Schwimmer in 98.  Written by one James Frey notable for his fabricated Memoir A million Little Pieces. The Plot involves a man having his best friend trying sleep with his girlfriend. Roger Ebert's review states that "none of the characters behaves at any moment like any human being we have ever met"find myself coming back to that line when people act nonsensically in wrestling like Nick Wayne instantly forgiving AR Fox, this is the stuff that I consider "business exposing" in 2023

Not particularly relevant, but this reminds me of a line in Friends where Joey’s feedback from a failed audition is “not believable as a human being”, which is what I think every time I watch Seth Rollins doing character work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Rampage, that was a show. Cassidy vs Solo was good... far from the best Orange Cassidy match of all time, but he's been on a legendary run. A Wrestler of the Year level run, honestly.QT Marshall vs Gravity was solid, QT is really good as a supporting player. He always has a solid match, but he always makes it look like he was the second best guy in the match. Luchasaurus squash was squashy, presumably Christian didn't want to stay at the taping all night so they just filmed him staring at a monitor earlier on. And the tag match did everything it needed to. Having Britt be the FiP while Shida was on hot tag duty made sense from a "protect the champion" sense, but the match itself might have been better if it had been the other way. And the finish managed to establish enough dissension on both teams to let us know it won't be a 2 vs 2 match tomorrow exactly.

But the fact that the show finished 11 hours ago and I'm the first person to post about it does pretty much say that, in the context of everything AEW is doing this week, Rampage was an afterthought.

• Like 3

I still need to catch the main. We have swim lessons for the five year old Saturday morning now.

I liked the Cassidy match for the Cameron interaction and just that it was a nice, typical defense for him. They had some drama towards the end which spoke to the interference and the meta-story of OC being banged up. I’m appreciating each defense since the run feels almost over.

I have a long said that QT should wrestle more like a manager but I guess that’s just not what he wants to do and I should accept it. I kind of like him as Luchador bully, building to someone like Bandido beating him. He wrestles now like someone with something to prove and will base hard on dives. I love the slow motion walk but especially when Gravity pays for it.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

When Orange/Solo/Cameron are all fighting outside the ring, if you look in the corner of the front row, opposite the camera, you can see a little dude leaning on the barricade, gesturing all over the place and yelling. That’s my son. I’m behind him a little with a blue shirt and hat on. I have sunglasses hanging from my collar. Unfortunately, they cut before Orange went over to him after the match. 

Before the Outcasts tag, Britt comes over to him, and you can see him get all excited and look back at me with a “Did you see that!!?!”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I watched Rampage live last night but was pretty drunk from my work going away party.

The best thing about the OC match was that it woke the crowd up, in some cases almost literally. Harley Cameron has something going they can work with, just not with QTV. OC had his hits, crowd was happy, it was fine but just fine.

QT was doing a very good job basing, I’ll give him that. I love Gravity’s whole gimmick.

I FFWD the Luchasaurus squash. His best use is as the big guy in a “small guy/big guy” tag team, as a singles wrestler he’s pretty average. I’m sure Darby will have a good David v Goliath match with him at All Out.

I don’t remember a whole lot from the main event tag other than thinking Saraya was wrestling a little better, didn’t need to be as protected as a couple of months ago. Both Shida and Britt had a little more sauce in their forearm strikes. I think Saraya got the pin? 

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I watched Rampage live last night but was pretty drunk from my work going away party.

The best thing about the OC match was that it woke the crowd up, in some cases almost literally. Harley Cameron has something going they can work with, just not with QTV. OC had his hits, crowd was happy, it was fine but just fine.

Totally correct. They taped the QT/Gravity match before Collision, but the rest of the show was after Collision AND after about an hour of ROH. So, it was around midnight when Orange came out. 

• Like 1

I think Solo’s breath spray bit might be some of the worst shtick ever. Is it some sort of reference that I’m not getting?

Commentary even did a whole bit on it here and got nothing out of it. It’s pretty much his only character trait and I’ve got no idea what it’s supposed to be.

Is he a dude who’s overly self-conscious about his bad breath? That could kind of work if he was doing it sneakily, but the stupid laugh is nonsensical. He should at least have the good grace to spray it in opponent’s eyes to get some use out of it. It just doesn’t work on any level, and he was in there with the king of schtick, whose stuff works on multiple levels. 

Match itself was fine, I liked Cameron basically calling out the stupidity of the manager distraction trope, in the midst of pulling a manager distraction trope.

I think the closing stretch of escalating near falls was the wrong choice though. Solo has zero credibility so there was no tension as a Solo victory was never a realistic proposition.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Ospreay's promo on Dynamite was fantastic, best he's ever sounded and he talked me into being interested in a Jericho match

Same here.  I generally get into most of Jericho stuff historically.  Lately not so much.  But I find myself very surprised how effective that segment was considering I’ve got zero patience for yet another contract signing angle.

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’ve got zero patience for yet another contract signing angle.

I would love it if both wrestlers came out, signed the contract without saying a word, and left.

"We'll be right back!" (commercial break)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1