DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

Here's the question  would a Collision style show be worse off without Punk?  make Jay the ace, he's a lot better than Punk is.

Similar thoughts to Zakk's post above: So we don't know what we don't know, obviously, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to think that a lot of what makes Collision great: the methodological pacing week to week, long tag match main events that tend to follow the rules of tag team wrestling, stories that advance and a smaller pool of wrestlers that the show focuses on, pushing against certain tropes that are done for the sake of them like music for run-ins, more flexibility on when women's matches happen in the show (less format, more what's needed)... are either directly or indirectly because these are things Punk wants.

That's a huge part of the Punk vs Elite feud to begin with, a difference in philosophy on what pro wrestling should be. It's a cultural thing. There's basically no other "path" that could have led to Collision being what it is. It's a clear alternative to Dynamite and especially to pre-2021 Dynamite and what AEW initially was. The roster has grown so much and they've brought in so many other voices and talents that I'd argue that Dynamite really isn't what it initially was, but Collision feels almost like a completely different company with different influences trying to do a different thing. If it lasts a few more months like this before Punk flames out, then maybe it stays like it is now even without him, but they have to build up the culture more first.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 8

Just now, odessasteps said:

Presumably a Phil less show would not get the casual eyeballs the show is now getting.

I hate ratings talk especially in this day and age but I see the numbers reported and they have been all over the place.  Close to 700,000 one week and less than 500,000 the following week etc..  Collision seemed to be hurt by SummerSlam and other combat sports going on at the same time.  I'm not sure what the floor or ceiling is for this show yet. 

I do think for the most part it's doing well, it seems to be in line with what we know WBD was expecting and I am in agreement with the people here who say it's been the best wrestling show on TV for the past month or so. It really has.  It's clear it's an alternative to Dynamite too.  I like that. 

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

FWIW,  Dave is reporting that Punk is the assumed reason why these guys are being sent away.  Before Punk stans get in an uproar in here,  don't take it up with me.  

What does Dave’s habit of reporting on assumptions have to do with you? I don’t think you have anything to worry about. 

• Like 2

The thing about the ratings is, everyone who watches Collision on Sunday (or later) doesn’t count towards the rating. But they do watch the show.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably a Phil less show would not get the casual eyeballs the show is now getting.

44 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hate ratings talk especially in this day and age but I see the numbers reported and they have been all over the place.  Close to 700,000 one week and less than 500,000 the following week etc..  Collision seemed to be hurt by SummerSlam and other combat sports going on at the same time.  I'm not sure what the floor or ceiling is for this show yet. 

I do think for the most part it's doing well, it seems to be in line with what we know WBD was expecting and I am in agreement with the people here who say it's been the best wrestling show on TV for the past month or so. It really has.  It's clear it's an alternative to Dynamite too.  I like that. 

I'll join the chorus on your second paragraph Niners - I'm not only digging it, but it's also resulted in a bonus of Dynamite feeling a little more like it's 2019-2021 self again, which may have been my favorite three year fun of any promotion since WCW in '96-'99. So far a win/win for me personally with both shows.

I quote Odessa here too because I think the 'casual eyeballs' are all gonna be glued to college football on Saturdays starting in like a month - I'm very curious to see how the show does once the season is going (and I'm super jealous of Mookie because I'd looooove to see what the viewership data is like on a regional level - like for example, I would expect the show to take a huge hit in Texas and other CFB hotbeds in the southern US)

Edit: That's a great point Ax - I really, really wish more data was available about the final +7day numbers. I'm a bit of a nerd for that kinda thing, if you couldn't tell

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

The thing about the ratings is, everyone who watches Collision on Sunday (or later) doesn’t count towards the rating. But they do watch the show.

Presumably wbd has those numbers, too.

I like FTR in the ring.  Everything else about them is bleh.  I thought nothing was worse than Dax's glurge promos until I saw them coming out doing Punk's taunts like a couple of simps.  It's sad they've gone from one of the great teams of our day to a pair of dueling Ed Leslies.  Speaking of Leslie/Hogan, all the politics stories about Punk that have come in in the past few days just bears out the adage, "you either retire a Punk or you wrestle long enough to become a Hogan."

I had to call my wife over to try to make heads or tails of Ricky's top.  Is it a vest or a bag?  She didn't know, either.  His promo was FIRE, though.  More of this.  God damn.

Malakai looked like Death from Bill and Ted 2.  Brody looked like Captain Spaulding.

MIRO VS HOBBS.  Fuck yes.

"Leave you speechless like Mitch McConnell"  LOOOOOOLL

• Like 2

Rumors are that Phil was a big advocate for Santana and Ortiz when he first got to AEW. Ortiz is posting fond memories of P&P and they’re listed as a tag team again on aew’s roster page. If he got those two back together, and gets them a nice shove, I’ll forget all about what an insecure egomaniac he is. It’s always bothered me how victimized S&O were by that super elite reign of error bullshit…

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Rumors are that Phil was a big advocate for Santana and Ortiz when he first got to AEW. Ortiz is posting fond memories of P&P and they’re listed as a tag team again on aew’s roster page. If he got those two back together, and gets them a nice shove, I’ll forget all about what an insecure egomaniac he is. It’s always bothered me how victimized S&O were by that super elite reign of error bullshit…

I agree those two were a kick ass team, but I'm not so sure the Super Elite story had as much to do with their lack of involvement in the title scene as 1) Dash's injury in the middle of their feud, and 2) always being peripherally wrapped up in Jericho's stuff (unless something was reported at the time which I may have missed). Not that I necessarily even disagree with you - I think if that were to be the case (held back by Elite reign) you could probably make the same argument for Best Friends, Butcher & Blade, and a number of teams. Shit, FTR themselves probably.

• Like 1

How much could they lean into the “CM Punk is the dictator of Collision” on TV before it goes too far?

Punk becomes Anthony Fremont and the people who displease him disappear from the show. The show runs music videos hyping CM Punk constantly like it’s state-run media.

Maybe it’d be like if the NWO got a weekly show in 1998 only without acknowledging that the show is controlled by heels now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think my favorite couple in AEW is Big Bill and TOOTS! sounds like a 1920's gangster and his moll. Infact I think collision should become a LU types of show where everyone dresses like Al Capone and speaks like a charecter in a Dashell Hammett novel

CM Punk as a gangster at WrestleMania 22

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I also like to watch Hangman wrestle and talk on my tv. I hope to see him do those things live at some point. 

I enjoying watching Kenny Omega and the Bucks wrestle on my tv. 

There are also a number of other wrestlers I enjoy watching to varying degrees. Some of them may be mean to people backstage or not. That’s fine. Those are problems for other people. I like to read the gossip. 

Why do some of you get so mad about these people you don’t know doing things/not doing things to other people you don’t know? Really. I’m genuinely curious. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Log said:

Why do some of you get so mad about these people you don’t know doing things/not doing things to other people you don’t know? Really. I’m genuinely curious. 

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm mostly just desperately trying not to work on my own deep-seated personal problems.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4