DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Well said @just drewand @Matt D. Its a strange thing to have so many major philosophical commonalities both inside and outside of wrestling with Punk, but also have the literal decades of statements and actions that kind of fly in the face of those things. And as Matt said: there's almost nothing to be said or done about it because Collision has been pretty damn great; It'd be a muuuuuch easier choice if it were two hours of the Booty Man and Brian Knobbs.

Edit: I wish I could give whoever here credit that said it originally, but it's been a while - the 'Less Problematic Morrissey' comparison was great

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apparently Christopher Daniels and Matt Hardy have also been sent home from Collision in the last couple weeks. Two more folks with strong ties to the Elite. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence, though…

• Sad 1

I don’t know about anyone else, but Collision has consistently been the best two hours of TV that AEW does, so if it takes sending home a jobber and a professional hanger-on to keep this quality… hey, let Punk cook, man.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Sure. I just need your full name, email, social security, where you went to grade school, and your first pet's name. To make sure you get all your shit in a timely fashion.

Maybe I should be less cynical. It's entirely possible. I am bad about that. But how long do I have to observe a feathered bird swim and quack before I can just call it a duck? Are there not enough first and second hand accounts from people who have been around him extensively of Phil being an insecure narcissist to deduce that he is, in fact, an insecure narcissist? Fwiw, I think he's booking a hell of a wrestling show on Saturdays. Collision is dope and I think he's a big part of that. I think his mind for the business is almost unparalleled. I'd rather watch a show booked by him than a show booked by the Jacksons and Kenny, for example. He clearly sees Ricky Starks as a huge star, which makes him smart. 

Maybe it's just a coincidence that just a few weeks after Ryan Nemeth tweeted about Phil being the "Softest man alive" during his return promo on Collision, he was sent home from a scheduled taping. Maybe it's a coincidence that Adam Page was told not to come to the building where Collision was being taped and then an hour or so later Phil cuts an (allegedly) unplanned promo about Page not being a star. All I'm saying is that since the mid aughts there have been multiple, corroborated reports of Punk proclaiming himself "the locker room leader," bullying fellow performers, writers, and producers, having performers banned from buildings, and publicly airing grievances with co-workers in a manner that left his employer vulnerable to legal action. How much more do some of y'all need to see before you're able to draw the conclusion that for his many strengths as a performer, he's an insecure, pretentious, overcompensating narcissist fueled almost wholly by an inferiority complex? 

Collision rules ass, though. It's a fantastic two hour wrestling show laden with top tier talent being given the chance to shine. 

For the guy most famous for the pipebomb stuff, being messy has always been a feature rather than a bug. Even if he’s the petty dictator people are trying to make him out to be.

And everyone’s right: Collision rules. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Ian is able to announce the weekly ROH shows from home.

Thanks man, I don't watch ROH TV (I can't afford it rn and feel kinda badly finding it on the 'high seas')so I was going based off of seeing him at ringside in Connecticut at the last Collision we went to - that makes more sense

• Like 1

A 42 year old Punk holding grudges like he does is either admirable or patethic whatever way you look at it. I’m 35 and too tired to hold grudges 😀

Punk seems like the guy to take a shit on your doorstep 3 years after you cut him off in traffic. 

• Like 2

Just now, Octopus said:

I nominate myself to be the new Head of Talent Relations. My mission is to get everyone to be best friends by having a sleepover in the Rec center. 

Isnt that what got Johnny Ace in trouble?

• Haha 5

Just now, odessasteps said:

Isnt that what got Johnny Ace in trouble?

Not the way I talent relations. A good ol’ lock-in at the Rec center. We can use all the Rec center facilities. We can play basketball, go swimming, or even just kick it in the lounge area with some games and puzzles. But nobody can leave until 7am. So if you want to have a good time, you’re all gonna have to learn to get along.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

Here's the question  would a Collision style show be worse off without Punk?  make Jay the ace, he's a lot better than Punk is.

I say 'probably not' but with two caveats:

1) Without Punk, this was just going to be another hour-show, likely more similar to Rampage (or even Dark/Elevation)

2) None of us know how much influence he actually has in terms of booking, layout, visual presentation, etc. (Though apparently he's got enough 'power' to have the fucking head of talent relations thrown out - which idk if I buy - but if so, that's some shit).

All things being equal - same Elton, same big ass WWE ramp, same kick ass matches - hell yeah, I'd watch; I just don't know if WBD would have any interest in airing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I don’t know about anyone else, but Collision has consistently been the best two hours of TV that AEW does, so if it takes sending home a jobber and a professional hanger-on to keep this quality… hey, let Punk cook, man.

This is quite different than "Do you know Punk personally?"  that you were writing a couple hours ago to people.  Lol.