DVDVR Message Board

All Out V - 9/3/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I won't be anywhere with good enough WiFi to watch All Out for a while so I haven't actually seen the match, but if Danielson's possibly had the best strap match ever in the same year as having had the best 60 minute Iron Man match ever, after breaking an arm in between, that's pretty impressive going

Likewise Khan managing to do 81k at Wembley, rave reviews for All Out, strong buyrates for the both shows, and threading the needle of moving on from Punk without pissing Chicago off too much...tough gig for Bischoff and C*rnette this week

• Like 6

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I paid for All In only to find out the former was free to air after I paid for it on Fite. Fuckers. I went with All In over All Out as it was on a great time for UK viewers (6pm-10pm), opposite to the usual (1am-5am). I was adamant I wasn't going to double dip till I read the DVDVR MB family reviews and so I have. Review incoming...

Four great matches in Miro vs. Hobbs, Danielson vs. Starks, Omega vs. Takeshita and Cassidy vs. Moxley. Danielson vs. Starks was the MOTN and a MOTYC.

Miro vs. Hobbs. One of the best hoss matches I've seen as two big men battered each other. Full contact and lariats. Those chants inspired by the famous Big E quote "Big meaty men bumping meat". Neither needed to lose but the right man won in Miro.

Danielson vs. Starks. Oh, man. Both brought the stiffness with those nasty whips with the strap. Remember reading Daniel Bryan saying he wouldn't let his kids watch his strap match with The Fiend at Royal Swerve 2020 and this was way worse. Danielson's juice job and the whips of the strap to each other's faces/necks. My favourite thing was Starks whipping Danielson on the face/neck and powered on through it with "You fucked up chants" directed at Starks. Great finish as Danielson wins with the Lebell Lock choking out Starks with the strap who refuses to submit in defiance. On a first watch, I think It's a ***** match.

Takeshita vs. Omega. Liked the DDT inspired gear Omega wore. My favourite part was the high angle back suplex Takeshita drilled Omega with in the early going. It was more restrained than I expected minus the avalanche Blue Thunder Bomb kickout which I didn't like. Right guy won.

Cassidy vs. Moxley. Out of the four matches mentioned, I was least interested in this going into the show but I think I'd have it second to Danielson/Starks. Cassidy did Cassidy things alongside Moxley things too. My favourite spot was Cassidy putting his hands in his pockets doing his soft kicks but then turning them into proper stomps. I think Mox winning was the wrong call as he doesn't need it whereas it would make someone like Jay White. Having said that, ended on the biggest stage possible and Mox is the big bad of AEW. Borderline MOTYC.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man, Bryan Danielson's back catalogue of matches is fucking insane to name some:

• Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA. ROH Glory by Honour V. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima. ROH Manhattan Mayhem II. *****.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. WWE SummerSlam 2013. *****.
  • The New Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles. WWE TLC 2018. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. MJF. AEW Revolution, 5th March 2023. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW All Out, 3rd September 2023. *****.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I was so worried when Danielson was near the post the he was gonna do something stupid likes mash his head or broken arm into it. Lolol

I loved Starks reaction to Danielson powering up. Such a great defeated heel knowing he was in for it.

ALSO it’s worth mention the show as a whole stepped up production wise. There were GREAT shots and a couple of cinematic rack focuses. My favorite maybe being seeing the bloody bottom turnbuckle and it focusing to OC. Best mic’ed crowd for an AEW show, as well. No big missed spots that I can recall. The team over on the video production side really knocked it out of the park!

ALSOOOO, really well done video packages before the matches. I love those and think this show did a good job at that.

All credit goes to Will Washington maybe. Lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Miro vs Hobbs had that same "anyone can take over at any moment" vibe. I liked the early stuff but thought Miro might have been taking a bit too much of it. He'd clobber Hobbs in the corner and Hobbs wouldn't really get to answer, though the answer was the big belly to belly where Hobbs had to power him up and over. Once the meat stuff started, Miro (of the Rusev Day experience) knew exactly what he had with it and leaned in hard. Just amazing skill in adapting to a crowd. He had to see Dollar Signs in his eyes. It's also amazing that the crowd wasn't chanting it all night after. Real testament to what followed. Glad to see CJ there, just because they needed some sort of debut.

I loved Miro-Hobbs, but I think I loved it more at the halfway point than at the end. At that point, I thought the story of the match was that Miro, who usually bulldozes his opponents, had run into a guy he couldn't overpower. (Side note: I find it interesting you thought Miro took too much of the early stuff. To my eyes, the early stuff seemed to be laid out to establish that Hobbs was just a little bit stronger than Miro.) So he had to switch his style and bust out all his high-flying moves. Good, smart story for a pro wrestling match. But then it seemed they dropped that and just started exchanging power moves again.

• Like 3

For me, that’s in the top 5 AEW PPVs of all time. That was fucking fantastic. I’m bummed OC lost, but holy shit, that was like a modern day Vader vs Sting. And while a lot of heels won, I think all the right people went over.

• Like 7

I liked this better than All In. With All In, they really nailed the spectacle and all, but I thought All Out had better matches.

Like Phantom Lord said, the BTYBB/ DO match was probably the weakest and it was still really good. 

• Like 2

One of the folks on another board who is slightly to the right wing of Atilla The Hun (which isn't bad, but it should indicate his worldview, especially with regards to wrestling.) hates Orange Cassidy with a red-hot burning passion. After I posted there about how I will not accept slander against Orange Cassidy, EVER, he responded with the two follow bon mots in the conversation:

It ain't slander if it's the truth: He's a comedy act, one that wears very thin since it's basically only one joke.

He could be more, he's a capable enough wrestler. Nothing particular outstanding but capable (and there's nothing wrong with that).

In the end all he does is damage the credibility of anyone that's supposed to be taken serious that ends up put in the ring to deal with his 3rd rate act.

Comedy has a place -- I love me some Toru Yano -- but that place is rarely a main event and it's hard to take AEW seriously as long as they push this clown as anything other than the clown he is.

and (when others defended OC)

The ultimate bunch of marks (referring to us and AEW fans).

It's neither a company nor a fan base I have much respect for honestly.

The product has moments to be sure, those are just often surrounded by absolutely unbearable crap.

The biggest achievement of Cassidy's career is destroying the legacy of Shibata.

I literally have no desire to ever see Shibata in a ring again after, of all the characters in the business, he devalued everything he's ever done by getting in the ring with a sack like Cassidy.

Fuck that mfer, and fuck TK for booking him on TV.

I had to go all the way to Star Wars (the original!) and mangle a quote of the great Jedi Obi Wan Kenobi:

"Who's the bigger mark, the mark or the mark who calls the other mark a mark?"

Edited by SirFozzie
Formatting.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Small thing but I really didn't like Stat kicking out of the No Future > Destination Unknown combo. That was the moment to get a foot on the rope.

Yeah we could have used a few more foot on the ropes rather than kickouts in some of the matches, but overall most of the matches went how they should have.

• Like 1

To be fair on the buyrate conversation, 100,000, in a vacuum, is pretty bad. Tony says their PPVs usually do around 140,000. If the total between All In and All Out is somewhere around 300,000 then they barely come out ahead of usual, which I guess is good. Especially since both shows were already profitable just from the gates.

Getting caught up. I thought the crowd kind of stunk for the matches I saw. Is it me or do wrestlers really have to egg the audience on to get more of a reaction recently? When Danielson was firing up at one point I felt like there was barely any response

Miro/Hobbs was my most anticipated match and I think they have a better one in them

Ruby/Stat was rad. Soho works best as a wily veteran (even though she's maybe 5 years older than Stat?) and both women hit on everything after the opening exchange. Kris might be in her prime right now, her knees may be on borrowed time but her execution since her return has been top notch. I see what Matt D says about a foot on the ropes for the late false finish, I'd say since Stat didn't win fully clean and they want to keep her looking dominant they kind of painted themselves into a corner. That's on the booking though. I hope these two feud so Kris can get a full victory (and because it would be a good use of TV time especially with Toni Storm's madness involved)

Brian Danielson is my favorite modern wrestler and Ricky Starks has been one the highlights of AEW for me. Always nervous when someone returns early from injury and it looks like I had no reason to be cause they killed it

Omega/Takeshita was good. This match has been building for a while and there's a decent angle behind it so I was interested, KT got the big win so good for him