DVDVR Message Board

All Out V - 9/3/2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Did you mean to say Penta vs Mox, winner gets a shot at Cassidy? I don't think Mox even holds a title currently.

Nope. OC vs Penta. Winner of that faces Mox.

OC beat Yuta twice and pinned Claudio so he wants to beat Mox next. Penta’s brother was put in the hospital by Mox. I’m guessing we get a 3-way at the PPV. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My brother and I were debating during All In if there would be a AEW World Championship match on All Out, I feel confident after the conclusion of that show that I'm correct and there will not be. I would guess that Punk/Starks would main event but they just didn't leave themselves a lot of time to set up a card here since they had to wait until All Out happened for the top of the card.

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

My brother and I were debating during All In if there would be a AEW World Championship match on All Out, I feel confident after the conclusion of that show that I'm correct and there will not be. I would guess that Punk/Starks would main event but they just didn't leave themselves a lot of time to set up a card here since they had to wait until All Out happened for the top of the card.

That's why Tony should just lean more into how the card is subject to change, but really only for All In/All Out. That's going to be even more important going forward if they're going to continue running back to back PPVs like this. Just announce matches for both shows and for All Out say the card is subject to change so if the world title or something changes hands, then there you go, a whole new main event. They already know that they get the majority of their buys the week of the PPV so it's not like announcing a match change the week of is going to affect things that much, but they could also still please the fans who want a card ahead of time.

• Like 2

I assume All In/Out won't be on consecutive weeks next year.

All Out definitely feels like AEW's first B-ppv, kind of Fast Lane-ish. I assume they'll add a bunch of stuff this week to keep it from feeling like those 2003 single-brand ppvs.

Punk vs. Starks in a strap match seems pretty likely. Fenix probably gets a showcase for his trouble. Lucha Bros vs. Claudio/Yuta or PNP seems reasonable assuming they go with Mox/OC. Wouldn't be surprised if they rush MJF/Cole vs. The Kingdom so they can move on to Cole/Roddy and hopefully steer towards MJF/Punk. I think that program could probably simmer until Revolution, but with each passing week of the "real world championship" being treated like a legitimate thing with no one official saying it's worth as much as the FTW title, the more it's hurting everyone. Might as well just get right to it so Punk's fake belt can go away.

6 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I assume All In/Out won't be on consecutive weeks next year.

TK confirmed during the All In scrum that they will, in fact, be on consecutive weekends. He likes that it’s a bank holiday in England for All In, and then a 3 day weekend in America for All Out. And customer loyalty for All Out in Chicago etc etc.

Also anything involving Punk might be scrapped since rumor has it that he’s suspended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Do the strap match. Have Starks go over as part of his "punishment." Set up a Big Bill match for later with it or something.

Big Bill vs Punk is a match I didn't know I wanted but now it's all I'm going to think about.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Big Bill vs Punk is a match I didn't know I wanted but now it's all I'm going to think about.

Remember when Danielson came back in WWE and they put him in a feud with Cass and everyone groaned? I was watching Bill this past week and thinking how I'd be excited to see them hook up now. Bill's come a long way in a pretty short time.

• Like 4

It's a tactical suspension on Punk's part. Ratings are about to take a hit as the major Sports season starts, and the autumn TV premieres also begin. Him disappearing from TV right as the ratings fall, that means he can say "Look, I'm the draw here!".

It's like how Hogan used to time his WCW disappearances quite similarly.

• Haha 5

I never watch the scrums, and I always miss a bunch a stuff. Two weeks of ppv seems like a suboptimal setup, but whatever. It's better than the 2-day Mania structure, more like running Mania and Backlash one week apart.

If they're gonna suspend Punk right before a Chicago ppv, they might as well just get rid of him altogether. The fact that they can run the United Center a few times a year is the only thing he does to help the company at this point. I don't know that Collision is gonna take that much of a hit from college football. Out of the group of people who go out of their way to watch wrestling on Saturday Night, I doubt there's a huge subset that will switch over to college football every week.

25 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's a tactical suspension on Punk's part. Ratings are about to take a hit as the major Sports season starts, and the autumn TV premieres also begin. Him disappearing from TV right as the ratings fall, that means he can say "Look, I'm the draw here!".

I am also reminded of Nash talking about Shawn's disappearances - "he's like a teacher, he only does 9 months a year!"

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, AxB said:

Also kind of like how Nash reminisces that Shawn loved having summers off, he’d fail a drug test or get an injury.

Shawn loved having time off right before a title defence that he was supposed to lose, as well.

So did Nash, come to think of it.

• Like 1