DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

30 young teams on the roster, and you're still trying to put over your childhood idols that you feuded with on the indies 10 years ago when they were already old

That's sort of a wrestling thing though. Scott Hall giving Larry Z shine for helping out his career. DDP/Raven trying to help out Jake even though he eventually never came in. IIRC Road Warriors were still out here working with Bruiser and The Crusher, which was crazy even without putting them over. In Japan, it happens a bunch. Considering how much some of the older generation hates or is indifferent to the previous generations and vice versa, that's pretty admirable. Is it the best business wise? Eh, they can afford to lose a match. They were winning every goddamn week over TV anyway. It's a no win situation. You win too much, it's the VPs putting themselves over. You lose to someone people despise or give someone too much offense, you're fucking up. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The fuck is a flippy mute? Are they the illegitimate kids of Harry Del Rios? We don't have enough magic/mime based gimmicks on the scene, I guess...

I hear Hellen Keller was quite the flippy mute. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think I'm the only person here who likes the Bucks.

You're not. I really like the Bucks, Kenny, and Hangman. I'm beyond happy they're staying.

At the same time, I want Punk to stay too. AEW is big enough for all of them.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hear Hellen Keller was quite the flippy mute. 

I am now picturing Hellen Keller in an action shot leaning over with her leg extended out doing the thigh slap motion.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am now picturing Hellen Keller in an action shot leaning over with her leg extended out doing the thigh slap motion.

MUST. RESIST. CAN'T. DO IT.

I'm just picturing Hellen Keller working heel, putting her hand to her ear like Hogan, and then laughing it off because she can't hear the boos.

• Haha 18

I think most people here are positive or at least ambivalent on the Bucks. It’s just that the few who REALLY don’t like them never miss an opportunity to say so and made it clear long ago that you can’t even really have a measured conversation with them about the Bucks, so why bother.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m pretty sure that most people who read the AEW forum and post here are going to be indifferent at worst about the Young Bucks. Considering how many other AEW wrestlers work a similar style, hating how the Bucks wrestle would make AEW’s shows mostly unwatchable. In 2023, when you could watch wrestling 24 hours a day just on YouTube (never mind WWE Network, NJPW World, Bushiroad, IWTV, Fite+ and Title Match Network), you’d have to be a right clown to spend hours a week EVERY WEEK watching wrestling that isn’t to your taste.

Before AEW started, the WWE TV threads on here would be packed with people who disliked the stuffing instead of potatoes but felt they had nothing else to watch. Now they’re mostly empty.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm picturing her doing John Cena's You Can't See Me with a slight twist. It's I can't see you. 

It's official, we're all going to hell. 

Let's not kid ourselves, we all punched our tickets a long, long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm picturing her doing John Cena's, You Can't See Me, except it's I can't see you. 

It's official, we're all going to hell. 

On a serious note, I usually try to watch some old World Class during the weekends. Some of the ones recently I have been watching have featured George Weingeroff, who is legally blind. He's actually having out here having a good wrestling match, and you cannot tell at all he has a disability. Granted, he's working with lower card fodder like Johnny Mantell who are going to make him look good. However, if that was WWF/E years later, that's getting exploited to death. 

I remember when I learned that Stan Hansen was legally blind and it made me wonder if any wrestler was totally deaf. I imagine a lot of wrestlers are at least partially deaf just for various reasons, but I can't recall anyone being completely deaf.

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUV65sV8nu0

This scene from the Miracle Worker but Anne Sullivan slapping Helen's thigh and shouting "Superkick!  S-U-P-E-R-K-I-C-K! It has a name!"

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I think I'm the only person here who likes the Bucks.

I like them fine depending on who they’re facing and the context. But they’re far from the most essential part of my enjoyment of AEW, and I’m happy that we can move on from all the histrionics about how devastating it would be if the whole gang went elsewhere. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUV65sV8nu0

This scene from the Miracle Worker but Anne Sullivan slapping Helen's thigh and shouting "Superkick!  S-U-P-E-R-K-I-C-K! It has a name!"

I noticed the comments section had been turned off. I can only imagine some of the comments that had been posted. 

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I noticed the comments section had been turned off. I can only imagine some of the comments that had been posted. 

There is apparently a really large contingent of Gen Z that just doesn't believe Helen Keller existed because of some tik tok bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

There is apparently a really large contingent of Gen Z that just doesn't believe Helen Keller existed because of some tik tok bullshit.

Jesus Christ. Because of course that would happen. Why wouldn't it?! Fucking kids.

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I remember when I learned that Stan Hansen was legally blind and it made me wonder if any wrestler was totally deaf. I imagine a lot of wrestlers are at least partially deaf just for various reasons, but I can't recall anyone being completely deaf.

I googled and found this about someone on NXT: https://www.usanetwork.com/usa-insider/wwe-fans-discover-nxt-myles-borne-born-deaf

Once I learned Hansen was legally blind, all those taters made a little more sense.

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Glad the Elite are back...! 😎

Why did the feds serve a subpoena on Vince and Young Bucks? Glad Omega and Page signed though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

TK: "so you'll work with Punk now, right?"

Bucks: "no"

TK: "sorry to bother you, enjoy your money"

Nah nah nah. You don't just get to ride along with more compulsively negative chattering, you whiffed on this one hard.

You wrote after Blood & Guts (and I quote~) "Kenny implied during his post-show promo for the live crowd that he's following the Bucks in leaving the territory". Which is to say you heard Kenny say "Wherever these guys go, I'm going too!" in the post-B&G press conference, instantly warped the quote into something that suits your well-established narrative, and expressed that assumption on a public forum. It was far and away one of the worst takes I've read this year and I'm dying to know if it was even an honest one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

I don’t hate the Bucks or anything, but what I do hate is this idea that the Elite are integral to the future of AEW. Like, the statement from one of the Bucks about them being the foundation of the company and if you get rid of the foundation, the house falls apart or whatever. You’d think they were heels giving a kayfabe answer in this.

“Yeah, we created an actual alternative for wrestlers but its continued existence is dependent on the four of us staying. Sucks to suck!” Just pure arrogance that makes me wish they’d leave and AEW would continue to thrive just to nip that shit in the bud.

But hey whatever, I enjoy their spotfest filled tags more often than not and that’s what I’m here for at the end of the day.

• Like 2

I think Hangman and Omega are more integral to the future of AEW than the Bucks and out of the 4, losing Page would've been a genuine blow.  But I'm biased as hell because I'm a huge Hangman fan(Hangman/Mox is my favorite match of the year still and their feud is/was incredible to me)

• Like 2