DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

27 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Nah nah nah. You don't just get to ride along with more compulsively negative chattering, you whiffed on this one hard.

You wrote after Blood & Guts (and I quote~) "Kenny implied during his post-show promo for the live crowd that he's following the Bucks in leaving the territory". Which is to say you heard Kenny say "Wherever these guys go, I'm going too!" in the post-B&G press conference, instantly warped the quote into something that suits your well-established narrative, and expressed that assumption on a public forum. It was far and away one of the worst takes I've read this year and I'm dying to know if it was even an honest one.

I see another spreadsheet-haver has logged in

Glad to see I can still live rent free somewhere in times of high inflation

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

On a serious note, I usually try to watch some old World Class during the weekends. Some of the ones recently I have been watching have featured George Weingeroff, who is legally blind. He's actually having out here having a good wrestling match, and you cannot tell at all he has a disability. Granted, he's working with lower card fodder like Johnny Mantell who are going to make him look good. However, if that was WWF/E years later, that's getting exploited to death. 

It still amazes me that Crazzy Steve is able to do some of the stuff he does.

*edit to add* Just to be clear, not saying legally blind folks can't do anything that regular sighted people can do I'm just saying that with all the constant motion involved in a wrestling match it must be extremely difficult for them. And unlike Hansen who would just throw that lariat anywhere (I'm a huge Hansen mark btw so not shitting on him), if you didn't know Crazzy Steve was legally blind and watched him work a match you wouldn't guess he had any vision problems at all.

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

Tony Khan Responds To Triple H’s ‘Secondary Promotion’ Comment

On Triple H calling AEW a secondary promotion: “We certainly won’t be the secondary promotion at All In. We’re No. 1 in the UK, on TV and with a record gate. I have a lot of respect for Cody. I know these weren’t his words, to be fair, but we’re not secondary in a lot of markets — for the first time in a long time, WWE has been secondary in a lot of markets. … I’m proud of where we’re at and we’re not taking a back seat to anybody.”

tumblr_n7j6q7YwK11r4gei2o2_400.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I think most people here are positive or at least ambivalent on the Bucks. It’s just that the few who REALLY don’t like them never miss an opportunity to say so and made it clear long ago that you can’t even really have a measured conversation with them about the Bucks, so why bother.

I hate when people are like that.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I remember when I learned that Stan Hansen was legally blind and it made me wonder if any wrestler was totally deaf. I imagine a lot of wrestlers are at least partially deaf just for various reasons, but I can't recall anyone being completely deaf.

I'm positive Jericho is on this list, having heard him sing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Way to dodge accountability, Governor Loco

I will have you know I live in the part of Arkansas that has regular drag shows and people are rocking their Pride flags on their porch. It's wild times. In Northwest Arkansas, you're either as left as anyone can be (the transplants) or one of crazy conservative (the natives). No in between. 

Also, ole buckethead Sarah Huckabee Sanders is the least of your worries cause after following the midterms down here, she comes off as relatively sane compared to her contemporaries.

And again, the fuck does have to do with anything? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I will have you know I live in the part of Arkansas that has regular drag shows and people are rocking their Pride flags on their porch. It's wild times. In Northwest Arkansas, you're either as left as anyone can be (the transplants) or one of crazy conservative (the natives). No in between. 

Also, ole buckethead Sarah Huckabee Sanders is the least of your worries cause after following the midterms down here, she comes off as relatively sane compared to her contemporaries.

And again, the fuck does have to do with anything? 

Yeah, my grandparents moved to Bella Vista around '90 and my mom lived in Springdale for a while so I got the see the area blow up over the years.  

• Like 1

Just now, Zimbra said:

Yeah, my grandparents moved to Bella Vista around '90 and my mom lived in Springdale for a while so I got the see the area blow up over the years.  

I live in Bentonville, but work in Rogers. I can see myself living in Springdale cause these folks didn't realize a city/area that use to have like 15,000 combined isn't ready for a huge population boom bringing on major city traffic. It's BRUTAL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I live in Bentonville, but work in Rogers. I can see myself living in Springdale cause these folks didn't realize a city/area that use to have like 15,000 combined isn't ready for a huge population boom bringing on major city traffic. It's BRUTAL.

Austin back in the mid-90s decided that "if we don't build it (meaning road and transit infrastructre), they won't come" and now the population has tripled in 30 years and they will never catch up with what's needed while also watching the cost of everything already planned for skyrocket.

Anyway, this past All Elite Crate has an awesome Sting Great American Bash 1990 throwback/vintage look (and also is blue rather than black) and I am wearing it at work today.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Side note: if anyone remember's Test's original theme, my friend swore up and down for years that in the first line ("Here we go, bring your name, we can hold peace") they were saying "Buttcheeks". He was quite disappointed when I finally proved to him it was "Hold peace"

The theme, for reference:

I swear I misheard Cena's lyrics in his first rap theme in WWE. "Whether I'm fightin', I'm spittin', I got you in the missionary position..."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Makes sense…developmental always taught a bland style.

Bland?! It's 2023. Missionary has come full circle to being exciting because everything else got weird and overdone.

• Haha 4

Re: The Bucks and Kenny, my stance has been that I think they're great athletes, but I don't find them all that interesting. There just isn't all that much compelling for me personally, but I can get why others like them?

Re: everything else that's been going on in the thread today, I'm gonna nope right on out of here, thanks...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Bland?! It's 2023. Missionary has come full circle to being exciting because everything else got weird and overdone.

Okay, the only thing now I can heard in my head is Conrad imitating Cornette when he was a member of WWF creative and they started doing Crash TV. "Fuck it....let's just get back to the basics and fuck horizontally.".

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speak for yourself, brother.  I hit all the highspots and when I'm finished, the young boys rush in with the cold spray.  I'm the Kobashi of this shit.  😆

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Speak for yourself, brother.  I hit all the highspots and when I'm finished, the young boys rush in with the cold spray.  I'm the Kobashi of this shit.  😆

This doesn't add up - I say this as a guy who realized as a weird teenager that the Kobashi Machine Gun Corner Chops technique is a completely viable response to a partner asking for a spankin'. Missionary's better for, uhhh... let's just say Taue fans.

i make no apologies for these statements.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This doesn't add up - I say this as a guy who realized as a weird teenager that the Kobashi Machine Gun Corner Chops technique is a completely viable response to a partner asking for a spankin'. Missionary's better for, uhhh... let's just say Taue fans.

i make no apologies for these statements.

This is going to make up for me missing the moment by failing to get in my Miracle Worker: The Story of Kenta Kobashi Wrestling Johnny Ace reference.

In here is a Mrs. Baba and Johnny Ace joke somewhere.

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I think I'm the only person here who likes the Bucks.

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Seconded - we are truly an island unto ourselves!

7 hours ago, matt925 said:

You guys absolutely are not the only ones. Love the bucks. 

6 hours ago, EVA said:

I think most people here are positive or at least ambivalent on the Bucks. It’s just that the few who REALLY don’t like them never miss an opportunity to say so and made it clear long ago that you can’t even really have a measured conversation with them about the Bucks, so why bother.

Other than a live ROH event here in Toronto, maybe 5 years ago, I'd never seen a Bucks match until the Dynamite era. During this run they've been near perfect. I say this while skimming over their matchlist on cagematch. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The Mrs doesn't mind the young boys kneeling at the sides of your bed with towels and cold spray? 🤣

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1