DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

But I read on this messageboard last week that The Elite would refuse to wrestle at Wembley and were on their way out and the promotion was doomed. Weird.

This was always the common sense result. The Elite weren't like Cody, they had turned down WWE before due to the schedule and probably a general distrust of Vince. I think Vince coming back was the final nail in the coffin of any chance of them signing there, maybe when they are 50 they'll sign for two years and get a HOF deal but as long as AEW is around I think that's where they'll stay.

• Like 7

Overall, this is good for the company. It would have been absolutely insufferable to follow online if the Elite fans started waging war on AEW for letting them go. It's a big tent and a much bigger tent than it was in 2019. You can have the clowns and the acrobats and the lion tamers and the guys who find joy in structuring tag team matches around rules and norms. I probably would have been more inwardly bummed about this in a world without Collision but now we even have an alternative within the alternative. There's plenty of room for everyone to be happy.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Overall, this is good for the company. It would have been absolutely insufferable to follow online if the Elite fans started waging war on AEW for letting them go. It's a big tent and a much bigger tent than it was in 2019. You can have the clowns and the acrobats and the lion tamers and the guys who find joy in structuring tag team matches around rules and norms. I probably would have been more inwardly bummed about this in a world without Collision but now we even have an alternative within the alternative. There's plenty of room for everyone to be happy.

This. Be interesting to see where MJF and Bryan Danielson wind up in 2024. Fancy both to stay.

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I can actually hear @just drew's cries from across the pond 😉.

Lol. No, I’m excited Hangman is sticking around. If I have to deal with more Young Buck foolishness to get that, I think I can handle it. Maybe. Lol.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

I think literally everyone hears something different in that song. The lyrics you posted sound nothing like what I'm hearing, as well as not making any sense. I always assumed it was just random gibberish. It is a pretty banging theme though.

Truly an aural Rorsach test

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

I like how we're getting the coloured smoke graphics for AEW 200th Dynamite from the show's start. Little nods like that.

I'm not gonna ask for them back permanently - TK already hooked me and @NoFistsJustFlips up with the return of the black ropes - but I really thought that graphic suite helped to set the show apart from the competition, and I miss it a lot. WWE and TNA had been too red/blue centric for too long, and it was a super nice change of pace after years of that. Also, shout out to the Revolution PPV for its 'modern '97 Worldwide' suite. I always loved that shade of green

• Like 8

I'm excited Hangman and Omega are back. 

I still don't understand where I stand with the Bucks.

Hangman/Omega v The Bucks and Lucha Bros v Bucks cage match are two of my favorite all time AEW matches, yet i don't clamor for Bucks matches or angles, or really care about them as characters.

• Like 3

I'm happy with that news, the Bucks irritate the shit out of me, but I can enjoy their matches when I'm in the mood, and when they're in the mood they can make a Private Party or a Top Flight look like future megastars.

I'm mainly happy Kenny's staying, because for all his faults, which do bother me too on a more subconscious level even if I'm not as attuned to picking them out, I do think he's one of the best wrestlers in the world and capable of insane feats of athleticism that we're kind of privileged to witness. It's not normal for human beings to be able to do some of the shit he does. And his ridiculous face just intrinsically makes me laugh.

Also glad AEW keeps Hangman, his matches usually entertain me, he seems a nice guy when he's not winding up CM, and he supported Ukraine against that addle brained fuck Mayor Kane.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

They rarely cut promos on TV - so unless you watch BTE, a casual viewer would just assume they're flippy mutes

The fuck is a flippy mute? Are they the illegitimate kids of Harry Del Rios? We don't have enough magic/mime based gimmicks on the scene, I guess...

I think I soured on the Bucks when they tried to drag Drunk Jeff Hardy through a 20-minute match instead of just wrapping it up.

30 young teams on the roster, and you're still trying to put over your childhood idols that you feuded with on the indies 10 years ago when they were already old

Counterpoint: the Bucks used to goof on flippy style wrestling by doing a do a handspring into a back rake, then they upped the ante by doing it with an actual rake.  They named a move after Dave Meltzer's dad after he died.  They can do no wrong and I won't stand for this Bucks slander.  😃

Edited by Technico Support

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I think I'm the only person here who likes the Bucks.

28 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Seconded - we are truly an island unto ourselves!

21 minutes ago, matt925 said:

You guys absolutely are not the only ones. Love the bucks. 

I have no problem with the Bucks. I lean more toward liking them than not. 

• Like 2