AEW TV - 6/21 - 6/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Such a nice variety of big pops tonight:

Big one for FTR

HYUGE one for Punk

Big heart-warming one for the Shibata hot tag

HYUGE one for Okada

etc etc 

I may not agree with the Chicago crowd on every point, but they sure enjoy their wrestling, and thereby make it easier for me to enjoy it, too.

Speaking of, today marks two (2) Jarrett matches in a row that I didn't hate. Pleasant surprise. Though, a lot of that was on the commentary. "One of the biggest cheaters of all time" and the stuff about condiments making the floor slippery, in particular.

Probably best not to compare the match to the actual Tupelo brawls, as well.

Still: Enjoyed it.

Loved ALL of the stuff building to Forbidden Door!

Couldn't be happier that we're getting Suzuki, Shibata, and Ishii.

Has to be a Dudes With Attitudes reunion too, right? So Shingo! Just need Cobb to complete my personal bingo card.

And we are getting Punk vs Kojima! Nice! That Owen bracket looks crazy. I hope the crowd gets 100% behind Cozy.

Generally I don't get as into the memberberries bullshit as many others do... But Bay Bay and Friedman being teamed up was PERFECT Russo-era bullshit. And that whole segment was darned effective.

"SHUT UP, SCHIAVONE!" popped me.

Speaking of, they've really been nailing those "end the show on an out of control brawl with different dudes showing up" segments recently.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

excited to see another 45 minute Cornette YouTube video that I won't watch in a few days about how concession stand brawls meant something at first but they killed the gimmick.. so I guess the Jarrett/Briscoe feud might be over unless it isn't

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Guys, I was out buying a minivan because I am a million years old and it seems like they announced so much stuff and I have no idea what's going on!

With the new extra show, those Excalibur announcement dumps before the main event segment are almost too much to handle now.

• Like 3

So fucking pissed I missed out on going to this Dynamite. Could have seen a stellar show and two of my all time favorites in Shibata and Okada.

LET’S GO RAINMAKER!

• Sad 2

My ears caught what Excalibur said as Bryan Danielson and Kazuchika Okada stared each other down:

"We only have to wait till Sunday. The main event live from Toronto on PPV, Forbidden Door. The American Dragon Bryan Danielson. The Rainmaker Kazuchika Okada. A dream match for the ages."

Right match go on last. Meltzer was saying it was the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship match as Kenny Omega defends vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW sometimes does double main events but to me the last match is the the main event.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

My entire knowledge of New Japan is limited to "dudes I saw at the one NJPW show I went to a few months ago or people I remember because they were on AEW that one time or maybe some random NXT thing." The build-up to Forbidden Door mixed in with your usual AEW build-up stuff was some textbook "Tony on yayo" stuff that I liked and didn't like but it was all really compelling. Skipped around some of the show but --

1) The Concession Stand Brawl ruled. I don't have the attachment to Mark Briscoe that ROH fans have. But I really like him a lot. I love me some modern day Jeff Jarrett and his unsuccessful usage of all of his many stooges. Fun brawling spots at the start. Loved the usage of mustard (but with we got to see Double Jay sell a condiment to the eyes like it was death.) I loved the random run-ins at the end. Best Friends? Christopher Daniels? Lucha Bros? Sure, why not? This felt like some good Memphis/ECW chaos where there were an insane amount of run-ins for no purpose other than "these guys are fighting each other or might fight each other but maybe not but f it" fun. And it also ended with a friggin' schoolboy. Sometimes this is all I want in pro wrestling.

2) I'm over what feels like month 19 of BCC vs. The Elite. But then they have to go and add in Eddie Kingston to the mix. Man, I missed The Mad King so much. He's the single most captivating person in professional wrestling. Man, Tony could have strapped a rocket to his back when he was beefing with Punk and had that crazy essay about his mental health struggles that got mainstream attention. He'd be the ultimate everyman. Ahh, what could have been. 

Anyways, I love The King. I love that he hates Claudio for undisclosed reasons beyond "I've just always hated him" but I sort of wish I could hear Excalibur try to explain the intricacies of their Chikara saga. The stuff with Mox and him at the end was absolute electric. I also loved it when Eddie was just "okay, I don't have time for this, our partner is Ishii." I really love Ishii. Then there's some crazy brawl but all we get to see is Dragon vs. The Rainmaker. I really don't know much about The Rainmaker beyond "everyone I know who watches Japanese wrestling worships him." They made that moment feel really special. It was definitely some Crash TV booking but it felt like a moment a lot of people wanted to see.

3) The MJF/Adam Cole showdown was some great "somebody stole the med student's Adderall" stuff. MJF and Adam Cole digging into their developing personal rivalry? Yep! Then it somehow gets tied into MJF being coerced into fighting Tanahashi next week as Adam Cole leads a coward chant? And then it also involves a Lethal Lottery pairing for an eliminator tournament? WTF? Sure, why not to all of that.

The part where Cole/MJF both yelled at Tony at the same time was some e-fed stuff like I have never seen show up on a wrestling show in real life. I think I've written some exact form of that roughly 400 times in my e-fed life. 

4) The best match of what I saw on the show was (surprise surprise) OC/Shibata vs. Danny Garcia/ZSJ. Great, fun match with Shibata/Garcia/ZSJ getting most of the rub and OC doing the selling and taking a bit of a step back so the other guys get their shine. Garcia is such a friggin' stud. Dude just gets it. I wish they'd stop with the "sports entertainer" cheap heat and just let him be a great prick heel with slimy club dances and chest hair. ZSJ is so slick and smooth. Shibata throws strikes. I loved how it ended with OC accidentally striking his friend/rival leading to their surprise downfall -- I actually gasped when they took the loss. And I think this led to a 4-way for OC's best announced within 5 seconds of the pinfall? Of course.

This was like a funhouse mirror of a wrestling show. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Was not expecting the extreme height difference between Danielson and Okada

Wikipedia lists Okada at 6'3" and Danielson at 5'10".. which... sure.. that might be a legit 5 inch difference... or Danielson fudges his height by more than Okada does.

Real fun show following up last week's amazing episode. There is so much great stuff being announced and so much to look forward to it's crazy, especially on this stretch of Dynamite ~> ROH ~> Rampage ~> Collision ~> Forbidden Door one after the other. Didn't realize the Owen Cups were starting this week until the brackets dropped. Looking at them, I'm thinking a Punk/Hobbs final (plus we get Punk/Joe in round 2!) and wishing for a Skye/Athena final in the women's. 

Surprised to see the Gunns beat the Hardys and it was relatively quick for a Dynamite match, but the post-match chaos ruled. 

Concession stand brawl was properly wild, but Jarrett said in the lead up that if he did not pin Mark tonight then this would be the last time we see him in AEW. I hope that's not truly the case!

Suzuki doing the Le Sex Gods pose with Jericho was the best. Fun trios match. Enjoyed the Cole/MJF segment and the set up for Battle Bowl! The Lethal Lottery.

Great tag match, thought we were getting 2 singles matches so I didn't expect Orange defending in a 4 way. Should be epic. Still hope Orange retains and maybe still run Shibata/Garcia at Death before Dishonor. 

Exciting ending with the excellent Bryan/Okada showdown. Looking forward to all the upcoming events. Forbidden Door is suddenly absolutely stacked with like 10+ matches, love it.

• Like 3

I love that AEW is bringing back BATTLEBOWL. The old "Can two enemies work together?" trope is one of the oldest, and also one of the best.

DAMMIT EDDIE. You hating Claudio isn't greater then joining The Worst Friends. First Hangman, and now you?!

I still don't see the appeal of Taya. The only thing she's good at is losing championship matches. And that makeup foundation, UGH, it was clown-like.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I still don't see the appeal of Taya. The only thing she's good at is losing championship matches. And that makeup foundation, UGH, it was clown-like.

You want to appreciate Taya? Go to an indie show and watch her work a merch table. I understand the difference between "people I'd want to watch" and "people I'd want to hire" but she is a pro.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, caley said:

Taz DID say something along the lines of "Condiments are a pain, but you have to wear them" tonight, right? Right?!

Especially the Condiment King!

If there's a Batman reference to be made, I'm there.

I liked them going through the trouble of explaining the logic of Eddie Kingston's allegiances. Eddie's "no bullshit" promo style was great for that.

The name "blind eliminator tag team tournament" sucks, but I'll forgive it since it's actually the Lethal Lottery, one of my favorite guilty pleasures.