DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

For all Vince's IRL misdeeds, he really did do some crazy shit when he was out there, whether it was that one, doing like a Muta 8 bladejob vs Stephanie, or jumping off the ladder vs Hogan. 

The one I was referring to as my favorite was Over The Edge '98 in May, but I misremembered the order - this was the rematch from Unforgiven in April, not vice versa

Vince ate steroids out a Pez dispenser with his own head on it on the daily so he could shame anybody on the roster who wasn't as ripped as him. Same with the absurd talent he had with cutting a promo, same with his bumps and blades and everything else. He realized that it was an invaluable authoritive component in being able to convince talent to follow his booking and writing - and a major reason why his creative authority waned when he was no longer an on-screen performer. Vince being one of the five or ten most engaging on-screen performers in the company at any time post-Montreal pre-Benoit was an essential aspect to his success and I don't think it gets examined enough.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Vince ate steroids out a Pez dispenser with his own head on it on the daily so he could shame anybody on the roster who wasn't as ripped as him. Same with the absurd talent he had with cutting a promo, same with his bumps and blades and everything else. He realized that it was an invaluable authoritive component in being able to convince talent to follow his booking and writing - and a major reason why his creative authority waned when he was no longer an on-screen performer. Vince being one of the five or ten most engaging on-screen performers in the company at any time post-Montreal pre-Benoit was an essential aspect to his success and I don't think it gets examined enough.

It was a massive risk that paid off for sure for WWE. The fact that he was willing to stooge hard and eat pins was a difference maker, but there was SO MUCH CREEP FACTOR and bad acting that people overlook as well.

• Like 3

So, what is a greater crime against Wrestling Logic:

1. No Tyler Bate opponent ever having watched a Tyler Bate match, and thus not knowing that when he lifts his fist in the air, the one thing you shouldn't do is stand right in from of him with your guard down?

Or something else?

Sub this for no opponent of Owen Hart or RVD knowing if they catch his leg when he tries to kick them that they should duck.

• Like 1

This was a double post but I'll try and salvage it with this question - is Bianca Bel Air the best Performance Center success? I don't think Roman counts as he had the family influence and got started in FCW before the PC was really a thing.

Edited by HumanChessgame

This was a double post but I'll try and salvage it with this question - is Bianca Bel Air the best Performance Center success? I don't think Roman counts as he had the family influence and got started in FCW before the PC was really a thing.

Charlotte.

• Like 2

E was an FCW trainee, like Roman, though. 

On the men’s side of things, probably the biggest “from scratch” PC success has been…Braun Strowman. Which really says a lot.

I knew E was FCW. I thought he was being counted using the Roman idea. 

If things hold up I think Montez Ford will be the biggest success (at least until Bron hits the main roster) as far as PC only trainees go.

• Like 2

1. Every Will Ospreay opponent deeply studying their Will Ospreay footage so that they know precisely when and how to duck and dodge , or
  2. No Tyler Bate opponent ever having watched a Tyler Bate match, and thus not knowing that when he lifts his fist in the air, the one thing you shouldn't do is stand right in from of him with your guard down?

Or something else?

Zombie Undertaker used an elbowdrop as transition for years - I don't think he ever hit that move. The Flair doing the Stevens spot getting clothelined in 999/1000 tries is also a good candidate.

• Like 1

Trying to powerbomb Kidman? 

Side question: was '...but you CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN~!' a DEAN thing? For some reason my brain is thinking Scott Keith but I can't remember if he's another guy who got on board with the tildebang, or if my brain is just not remembering things I read online as a child correctly 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Maybe even Hyatte??

Side question: was '...but you CAN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN~!' a DEAN thing? For some reason my brain is thinking Scott Keith but I can't remember if he's another guy who got on board with the tildebang, or if my brain is just not remembering things I read online as a child correctly 

i associate it with DDT Digest, so that's probably where i first heard it. whether it came from somewhere else online first, i couldn't say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having just watched a Nitro episode, I'd like to submit people trying to crossbody Scott Hall on a rope run as a no-hoper. Doing that is just asking to eat a fallaway slam. 

• Like 2

I'm a crotchety old man, a little beered up from watching the US Open all day so I just want to bitch about wrestling.

Wrestling tickets have gotten way too expensive. Hundreds of dollars including $300 at the ECW Arena. Unbelievable.

After 50 years of watching wrestling, my brain can't remember one more name for another move. They are all jumping knee, suplex, piledriver to me.

Local shows aren't in gymnasiums anymore. I like bleachers.

Speaking of no more bleachers, down in front!

• Like 1

1. Every Will Ospreay opponent deeply studying their Will Ospreay footage so that they know precisely when and how to duck and dodge , or
  2. No Tyler Bate opponent ever having watched a Tyler Bate match, and thus not knowing that when he lifts his fist in the air, the one thing you shouldn't do is stand right in from of him with your guard down?

Or something else?

Punching the jabroni Hulk Hogan when he starts convulsing like he's having a seizure.

• Haha 3

I'm a crotchety old man, a little beered up from watching the US Open all day so I just want to bitch about wrestling.

Wrestling tickets have gotten way too expensive. Hundreds of dollars including $300 at the ECW Arena. Unbelievable.

After 50 years of watching wrestling, my brain can't remember one more name for another move. They are all jumping knee, suplex, piledriver to me.

Local shows aren't in gymnasiums anymore. I like bleachers.

Speaking of no more bleachers, down in front!

A certain podcast did a segment this week about how much ticket prices were in Mid South back in 1984.

• Like 1

Having just watched a Nitro episode, I'd like to submit people trying to crossbody Scott Hall on a rope run as a no-hoper. Doing that is just asking to eat a fallaway slam. 

On the reverse side of this, having just watched him do it again versus Owen Hart meaning Owen got two matches out of this, has anyone ever figured out what in the entire fuck Chris Hamrick is attempting that would send him shooting through the ropes like he's going down a long waterslide? 

When Manami Toyota has done that same bump in Japan when she was younger, you can at least say she was going for a front dropkick. They don't really do that type of dropkick in the US. Is he trying to flying body scissors someone? It's an amazing bump, but it's totally illogical.

"Brett Favre? Brett Favre was bumming money for gas when I was selling out the world. Brett Favre was freeloading off my good name. The government is only going after me and my family because we're rich and we're famous and they're jealous. I could buy and sell every one of those Mississippi redneck politicians but they're not worth my money. They should feel honored that I own land in their stinking worthless state. I should have moved to Florida like every other wrestler years ago because they know how to treat people in Florida. I will make sure the case will go away faster than college educated people leaving Mississippi. Everybody has a price for the Million Dollar Man. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"