DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/10/2023

Matt D

24 minutes ago, just drew said:

No one's ever been superkicked in a real fight

Actually there has been like 2 or 3 kicks in MMA that I can remember that looked like a superkick. This most notable off the top of my head is Louis Smolka on Richie Vaculik in UFC. Yeah, it has happened. Side kick techniques have been pretty popular in MMA over the last 10 years cause everyone fancies themselves as a striker.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

We start right away with a hot matchup and a HOT crowd! Claudio is the strongest guy in the company, an excellent pro wrestler, oh and also the best base in the company! Rey Fenix feels the heat of the presence of Bandido, Komander, and HjVikingo and pulls out some extra crazy lucha flying! Couple of minor botches but covered very smoothly. The Claudio press catch spot in the video above was one of the most impressive feats of strength I’ve seen in a wrestling match. Fantastic match and looking forward to BCC/LB.

Whoa, it’s Miro!

The FTR-Triple J-Briscoe segment was so delightfully 80s southern, I loved it. I hate that I don’t hate Jarrett.

Jericho with the legal documents is old school. Roderick Strong! It’s a twist, he ALSO has legal documents! Renee is delighted! I’m psyched for Strong-Jericho falls count anywhere live in Austin!

Renee putting in the work, and HEY IT’S THUNDER BAE! What is happening? Are we headed for a Collision? Tony Khan announces that he’s going to have a huge announcement in Austin! I agree Taz, I wonder what it could be?

Orange Cassidy, currently the best wrestler in the world, against Das Wunderbro Daniel Garcia. They start with a Freaky Friday and a grappling sequence! The announcers do an amazing job in this match putting over the cumulative damage that OC has suffered during this run, and noting how Garcia is targeting all of it. OC takes a hellacious beating, I’m totally bought in that he’s finally just had too much and then FLASH PIN! OC survives, but at what cost? Who will it be? I don’t think it’ll be Kyle Fletcher, but who knows?

Christian gets Nova (the exploding star, not the wrestler who invented everything) level heat. I really wanted Brock Anderson to run out and get merc’d by Luchasaurus.

Julia has new gear, likely to prevent another wardrobe malfunction/near miss although the g-string back with the black tights was a weird look. Anna jumps her in the aisle! It’s a brawl with a couple of nasty moves and generally decently stiff, but nothing really special. They’re working on it and they’ll get better. Julia with a clean win and no mist was a surprise.

Some comedy backstage with OC and the Best Amigos. Not sure whether the “no witches” was ad-lib.

Bandido gets to do some great stuff, especially with Malakai. More stiffness. Brody King is a fucking beast and I love watching him wrestle. The darker arena is interesting and different, I think I like it but maybe not the constant flashing cinders. Chuck is your designated pin taker. Solid, but that’s about it.

Main started a little rough because again I just can’t buy the Bucks and their super kick run-ins as brawlers. Once Mox and Omega get in the ring we move almost immediately to glorious wrestling violence. Some really nasty stuff with the barbed wire chair, both guys get sliced up bad on their backs. The turnbuckle hook in the mouth got me chanting “you sick fuck” at home. And then glass made me wince, even though it was sugar glass that didn’t do much of anything. As I said above, I was disappointed about the lack of cage and then they broke through and I legit bought for about 30 seconds that was an accident and that Omega was badly injured. As for the shocking turn, I’m waiting to see where it leads.

Just a great show top to bottom, definitely felt like a reboot. AEW RULES THE FUCKING WORLD~!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

OC/Garcia was predictably fantastic. I know Garcia has had a lot of great matches, but man this felt like more of a coming out party for him than his matches against DB or Yuta. Garcia has always had these awesome character flourishes in his matches (like doing a deep breathing exercise when gaining control in his match against Punk) but he really leaned into his shtick tonight (against the king of shtick)while also using it seemlessly while being a technically proficient dickhead. 

Jericho is one of the best ever at wrestling as a character. That really feels like it is seeping into Garcia more and more. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dog said:

You know "twinkletoes" is historically a gay epithet, right? I guarantee you Cornette knows.

I actually didn’t. Damn. That’s my bad. I’ve only ever heard it used to describe a running back that shies away from contact or something like that. I’ll find another term. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's one of those words where it isn't a slur if you're a 1950's boxing announcer describing a fleet-of-foot middleweight, or a friend of Fred Flintstone's. But if Jim Cornette's saying it you know damn well pretending there's meaning beyond the fifth letter is dog-whistling Dixie.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

Couple other great things about the main:

The chair sliding across Mox's back when Kenny hits the double stomp

Mox using the camera to pop Kenny in the mouth then giving the lens a big smoosh 😄

Mox having difficulty with the rope detachment when he said in his book he used to dismantle an entire ring within half an hour

Danielson's absolute joy with all of it -- until the total seriousness after the cage spot

Also, according to what I've read before, sugar glass is worse than actual glass even though it's not supposed to be. Personally I wanted him to pull out a full pane but I'm a BLOODSUCKING FREAK~! Don Callis must've been too in earlier days because he has a gnarly long blade scar on his forehead. In a night of wild fashion, god his shirt looked like the pattern on a grandmother's couch, along with spangled shoes and... yoga pants?! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Mox using the camera to pop Kenny in the mouth then giving the lens a big smoosh 😄

Mox having difficulty with the rope detachment when he said in his book he used to dismantle an entire ring within half an hour

Danielson's absolute joy with all of it -- until the total seriousness after the cage spot

Also, according to what I've read before, sugar glass is worse than actual glass even though it's not supposed to be. Personally I wanted him to pull out a full pane but I'm a BLOODSUCKING FREAK~! Don Callis must've been too in earlier days because he has a gnarly long blade scar on his forehead. In a night of wild fashion, god his shirt looked like the pattern on a grandmother's couch, along with spangled shoes and... yoga pants?! 

Oh yeah I was losing it when Mox did that with the ring post cam.

and did you miss how Callis smashed his head against a light frame backstage when BCC jumped him? Total accident where he didn’t notice where he was falling and split his melon wide open. It was a hardway full Muta.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think the scar on Don's forehead came his attack by the BCC. 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Okay then this couldn't have been tonight. If it was last week, I didn't see basically anything from last week.

It was about a month ago? He came out a couple weeks ago when it was still healing and it looked gnarly, and I think they showed a photo of his head with like 25 staples in it.

• Like 1

At the time I thought it was a bladejob hinting toward him joining BCC (Mox has to 'bleed with you' remember) so I'm thankful we ended up in a very logical place despite that having apparently been a really scary hard way shot.

GREAT show, with excellent pacing aside from heading from the FTR/Briscoe/TNA segment right into the Jericho promo without a little more breathing/sell room. Other than that I have zero criticism. Heavily, heavily needed and nothing was held back tonight - excellent show.

Random thought: is it possible Miro/Rosa are our Collision commentary team alongside Ex?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Random thought: is it possible Miro/Rosa are our Collision commentary team alongside Ex?

Being that the de facto face of Collision is one of the people who contemporary Jim Ross sounds most passionate about when he calls their stuff, I’d imagine he’s getting the bump to Saturday nights. Complete guess though. Imagine Ex remains the lead guy on anything AEW that hits TV. 

• Like 1

My knee-jerk reaction is I don't really dig the Callis turn. Seems too early and doesn't make a lot of sense since Don's whole character is making money off Kenny, who just had Mox dead to rights in the cage. That said, AEW usually has good explanations for things, so I'll give it a week.

The in-ring action on the show was top notch. Definitely feels like the right direction to let BCC/Elite be the focus of the show, while the pillars get the rub from the title. Both groups look worthy, but the former is definitely better at filling tv time on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

Great show. Felt like it packed in a lot with some real solid non-wrestling segments while all the matches still got the right amount of time. Lived up to the hype of Tony calling it a "PPV on TBS"

Claudio/Fenix ruled as expected. Liked the setup for Jericho/Strong next week. Loved Tony's announcement of an announcement. 

Orange/Garcia was my showstealer. Two of my favs absolutely killing it. I was buying the submissions towards the end as Garcia pulling it off and then the finishing sequence was excellent as Excalibur notes Garcia's realization that "if only he had stopped sports entertaining!"  Orange forever.

Epic heat for Christian Cage, feeling like top heel level.  Anna/Julia was pretty fun. Julia singing along to her theme is always the best.

Trios tag was giving me Mountain Dew House of Black vibes with the alternate lighting.

Main event delivered on the promise of violence big time. Definitely did not see the big turn coming. I had turned my head a second after the One Winged Angel and at first thought Moxley actually kicked out of it. I will miss the Don & Kenny pairing. Loved all the commentary selling of how Callis had "stabbed his own son!!", good stuff. Interested to see where things go, figuring it's about time for Hangman to get back in the mix.

Watching All Access and seeing the clips reminds me of how all time great the original TayJay vs Penelope/Bunny street fight was. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

My knee-jerk reaction is I don't really dig the Callis turn. Seems too early and doesn't make a lot of sense since Don's whole character is making money off Kenny, who just had Mox dead to rights in the cage. That said, AEW usually has good explanations for things, so I'll give it a week.

The in-ring action on the show was top notch. Definitely feels like the right direction to let BCC/Elite be the focus of the show, while the pillars get the rub from the title. Both groups look worthy, but the former is definitely better at filling tv time on a weekly basis.

Callis can make more money in the long run hitching his wagon to a younger star.

Bruv 😏