DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Doesn't NJPW run a baseball stadium in the summer? They usually have to open the side panels because it's so warm.

Unless I am missing something, they ran Meiji Jingu Stadium in July 2020 (Naito beating EVIL for the IWGP HW & IC titles) and then did two consecutive shows at Belluna Dome (then MetLife Dome and aka Seibu Dome) in September 2021. 

I remember the Seibu Dome hosting the finals of the 2014 G1 Climax because aesthetically it looked like Dorton Arena somehow was hosting a New Japan show. Google image search both venues and you will see what I mean.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

I love Molly Holly. Always have since her WCW debut as Mona. 

She is the literal best & too nice for this business. I was on a show with her in Portland in 2006. After my match she pulled me & my opponent aside to apologize to us that WCW didn't exist anymore. She said we would 100% have gotten contracts to be in the cruiserweight division and she's sorry for us that it isn't around anymore. As if she had anything to apologize for. Just a total sweetheart of a person.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It seems like the Tokyo Dome is the only large scale facility Japanese wrestling uses these days.  I'm not sure why,  back in the 90s FMW for example would run baseball stadiums for their big cards. 

FMW used outdoor stadiums (and parking lots) so they could blow stuff up and play with fire. NJPW would run more if they could sell enough tickets.

7 minutes ago, ka-to said:

FMW used outdoor stadiums (and parking lots) so they could blow stuff up and play with fire. NJPW would run more if they could sell enough tickets.

That's true but there's a dome show from the 90's where I believe it's Onita and Chono where they were blowing shit up in the dome. That match also features quite possibly the two greatest entrances of all time.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

She is the literal best & too nice for this business. I was on a show with her in Portland in 2006. After my match she pulled me & my opponent aside to apologize to us that WCW didn't exist anymore. She said we would 100% have gotten contracts to be in the cruiserweight division and she's sorry for us that it isn't around anymore. As if she had anything to apologize for. Just a total sweetheart of a person.

Thank you for sharing this. Class act. Man, I love Molly Holly. First time seeing her in WCW as Mona is still my favourite then as Mighty Molly with the Hurricane. The HOF induction speech she read on social media was sweet.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Log said:

Based on last night's Hobbs/Wardlow car angle, I was thinking of things you should never bring to a pro wrestling show if you are a pro wrestler.

One is obviously your new car that you are very proud of.

Another is a celebratory cake. That won't end well.

What else is there?

14 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Any kind of trophy.

13 hours ago, Log said:

Also, large portraits of any kind.

12 hours ago, Uncle Coaster said:

Your significant other.

Furniture for your own talk show, anything wrapped in a box for Christmas, any kind of formal ceremony (wedding, key to the city, etc), family members/exes/teachers from another wrestler's past, an evil lawyer, a duffel bag/briefcase full of money, your wallet

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Log said:

Based on last night's Hobbs/Wardlow car angle, I was thinking of things you should never bring to a pro wrestling show if you are a pro wrestler.

What else is there?

Looking at the comprehensive list that others have made in order to answer this question, it brings up another question:

Is this the reason why so many wrestlers "just love to have fun"? I mean looking at the list, any attempt to actually have any fun is almost always destined to bring misery! They are so starved for fun, because there is no way to have it in wrestling without it backfiring that it becomes their only goal? "I'd love to have fun, any fun will do! Even this stupid dancing."

17 hours ago, Log said:

What else is there?

A briefcase full of money

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

I love Molly Holly. Always have since her WCW debut as Mona. 

anna jay’s phat ass bad attitude reminded me of junk in the trunk angle a with Molly and how that’s no longer an insult

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Log said:

What else is there?

Try to avoid, or at least deeply consider the visual consequences of, wearing special all-white gear.  Especially in matches in which you have a strong sense that your opponent aggressively dislikes you.  

• Like 3

My top ten matches of the year so far:

10. Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February 2023.

9. Eddie Kingston vs. Jay White. NJPW Battle in the Valley 2023.

8. Kyle Fletcher/Mark Davis vs. Hirooki Goto/YOSHI-HASHI. NJPW Sakura Genesis 2023.

7. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens vs. Jey Uso/Jimmy Uso. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. Need to watch back and see if it's *****.

6. Adam Page vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution 2023. *****.

5. Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal. AEW Dynamite, 25th January.

4. Kenny Omega vs. El Hijo Del Vikingo. AEW Dynamite, 22nd March. *****.

3. MJF vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution 2023. *****.

2. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. *****.

1. Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17. *****.

---

Five honourable mentions:

5. Orange Cassidy vs. Buddy Murphy. AEW Dynamite, 12th April 2023.

4. Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January 2023.

3. Mercedes Mone vs. KAIRI. NJPW Battle in the Valley 2023.

2. Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX.

1. Men's Royal Rumble match. WWE Royal Rumble 2023.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Looking at the comprehensive list that others have made in order to answer this question, it brings up another question:

Is this the reason why so many wrestlers "just love to have fun"? I mean looking at the list, any attempt to actually have any fun is almost always destined to bring misery! They are so starved for fun, because there is no way to have it in wrestling without it backfiring that it becomes their only goal? "I'd love to have fun, any fun will do! Even this stupid dancing."

Michelle McCool was lovin' life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff and Karen Jarrett renewed their wedding vows, in a wrestling ring, while dressed all in white. Having arrived at the venue on a horse-drawn carriage. You would think Jeff would know not to tempt fate like that.

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

A briefcase full of money

anna jay’s phat ass bad attitude reminded me of junk in the trunk angle a with Molly and how that’s no longer an insult

For some of us,  it was never an insult. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2023 at 10:38 AM, Log said:

What else is there?

The pen you use to sign the contract for your next big match.  Yeah, that Bic isn’t going to survive the experience.  Inevitably, someone’s going to put someone through the table or toss them out of the ring and the pen’s going to get broken in the carnage.   

For that matter, I wouldn’t recommend using a new table for contract signings.  Go to a yard sale and buy the cheapest table you can find.  Doesn’t what it looks like.  You’re going to throw a cloth over it anyway.  Just make sure that it’s not rusty.  I don’t know the stats, but I would guess more than a few wrestlers have gotten tetanus from a rusty table leg.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

My top ten matches of the year so far:

10. Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February 2023.

9. Eddie Kingston vs. Jay White. NJPW Battle in the Valley 2023.

8. Kyle Fletcher/Mark Davis vs. Hirooki Goto/YOSHI-HASHI. NJPW Sakura Genesis 2023.

7. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens vs. Jey Uso/Jimmy Uso. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. Need to watch back and see if it's *****.

6. Adam Page vs. Jon Moxley. AEW Revolution 2023. *****.

5. Mark Briscoe vs. Jay Lethal. AEW Dynamite, 25th January.

4. Kenny Omega vs. El Hijo Del Vikingo. AEW Dynamite, 22nd March. *****.

3. MJF vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Revolution 2023. *****.

2. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. *****.

1. Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17. *****.

---

Five honourable mentions:

5. Orange Cassidy vs. Buddy Murphy. AEW Dynamite, 12th April 2023.

4. Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January 2023.

3. Mercedes Mone vs. KAIRI. NJPW Battle in the Valley 2023.

2. Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX.

1. Men's Royal Rumble match. WWE Royal Rumble 2023.

That's a good list bud but I'm sticking with Mizuki finally winning Princess of Princess by beating long-time tag partner Yuka Sakazaki at TJPW Grand Princess as MOTY so far...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

That's a good list bud but I'm sticking with Mizuki finally winning Princess of Princess by beating long-time tag partner Yuka Sakazaki at TJPW Grand Princess as MOTY so far...

I just watched that the other day.  It was really good and certainly full of emotion.  

Also,  add Drew McIntyre to the list of people on Twitter who are now doing work/shooty shit.  His profile is all blacked out and has removed all references of WWE from it. 

• Like 2