DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

Just now, jaedmc said:

Between this and the Wizards of the Coast fucking with the D&D Open Gaming License my hobbies are getting put through the ringer.

Yeah, I kept meaning to ask you about that...

So, say this happens, what are the immediate impacts of this in terms of the product itself, speaking amorally? Not saying any of this is good, at all, for any reason, just speculating about what it might mean in terms of what is actually getting put on television, if anything. I'd assume like most things when purchased by evil enterprises, not much will change on the consumer end of things and people will more or less keep on watching the thing they already love. They've been holding their Super Shows for years now, and it has only helped their bottom line, unfortunately. Are American television conglomerates really above doing business with the Saudis if McMahon serves as their American face? They're our allies in the Middle East after all! Modernizing more every day! And it isn't as though it's gonna say, "WWE RAW Brought To You By The Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia!" at the top of the show every week.

I agree that there are certain talents who will walk or at least try to (Sami, mainly, is who I am thinking here), but I'd imagine most stay. It doesn't strike me that the Saudi Investment Fund would really want much control over the day-to-day decision making or the material being presented, probably leaving it up to Vince and Co, and would ultimately still be catering to an American audience, so I don't see a lot of what's being speculated about (the women's division, for instance) changing even a little. More likely, there are another huge swath of firings, and everything reverts to pre-HHH/Steph status quo, no? Austin Theory rocketing back up the card! 

If nothing else, it will certainly make all the rah-rah-USA-USA stuff HILARIOUS.

Yeah, I am holding off on this. It is a mult-billion international transaction. Involving a controversial foreign country’s wealth fund. I really don’t think wrestling reporters are plugged in enough beyond hearing something from a wrestler who hears it from somebody. Maybe I am completely wrong but there is a huge difference in the quality of reporting from wrestling newz sites and major financial publications or media trade press. 

Another factor here, and this is something I am going to need to research - I have no idea  what kind of approvals (if any) that a foreign sovereign wealth fund needs to take a publicly traded company private. A lot of countries have these types of national sovereign wealth funds. Fun fact: The biggest in the world is Norway’s (unless China’s took the lead since they are close in size.) The Saudis invest a lot of money in the US stock market but not to some insane degree. 

The Saudi wealth fund buying any well known publicly traded company and taking it private is a huge fucking story so that is why I am hesitant to believe any wrestling reporting.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, I kept meaning to ask you about that...

If the Saudi part of this story is untrue, then it's still a pretty tight race for dumbest money grab while fucking the fans. But if WWE gets sold to folks who were fantasy booking Yokozuna a spot in a Royal Rumble, despite him being dead for... a while... then WWE win by a country mile.

• Like 5

Not sure if this has been posted

Conrad Thompson: I Heard Nick Khan's Deal Pays Him More Than A Year Of AEW TV Deal If He Helps WWE Sale

"I've been saying on this program for a while that WWE was going to sell. You know why I said that? Because I knew. Remember when Nick Khan first joined WWE? When he joined, he was an agent. I happen to have some friends who need representation like that. My friend was represented by the same company that Nick Khan was sort of running. When my friend sees that this guy who runs this big agency is now going to WWE, he thought, 'what the fuck this doesn't make any sense.' He called his contact, 'What's up with Nick going (to WWE)?' He said, this is years ago, [Nick] has a deal with Vince where his contract gets a big payday when he helps facilitate a sale. He told me the number, I won't say the number because that's talking about someone's money and that's not cool, but let's say this, it's more than AEW's TV contract is for a year. It's a lot. I've heard back channel, before Mean Gene [Gene Okerlund] passed, he said, 'I heard from...' I won't say who he heard from, 'when the stock gets to so and so...' this has been brewing for a while,"

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

If the Saudis have purchased WWE and are toxic to key US media distributors, this lines up very interestingly with AEW’s rights renewal doesn’t it? Like not to be sensationalist but AEW on Monday nights on USA could be in play. Some of these potential ramifications are wild.

or it sinks the entire industry and fucks over AEW despite their hopes and wishes?

USA is probably much much much more likely to put another night of Law & Order SVU on their network than another wrestling promotion if the WWE is gone.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

If the Saudi part of this story is untrue, then it's still a pretty tight race for dumbest money grab while fucking the fans. But if WWE gets sold to folks who were fantasy booking Yokozuna a spot in a Royal Rumble, despite him being dead for... a while... then WWE win by a country mile.

The contract signing needs to take place on the USS Intrepid

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Why not dress up one of his thousand relatives in wrestling up as him and just pretend it's Yokozuna? 

A lot of the PIF investment projects mentioned in Wikipedia mention stakes as opposed to 100% ownership.

The rules might be a bit different for things going from public to private. I'm sorta skeptical that the PIF would go 100% in on the WWE when their game mainly involves buying lots of points in Live Nation, Boeing, Citigroup, Facebook, Disney, Bank of America, BP, Uber, EA, Activision, Nintendo, Twitter, and so on.

Anyways, I wonder if the Saudi Aramco Residential Camp in Dhahran has any good arenas for house shows.