DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

7 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Feels kinda underwhelming if this doesn't lead to a good old fashioned whodunnit murder mystery

It's been going on in front of our very eyes for decades. The exploding limo. The collapsing set. 🤔

So if I have this correct, the current  WWE Board of Directors is now Vincent K McMahon, Slick Nick Khan, 02-05 HHH, the Million Dollar Man, the Mayor of Knoxville, Rita Repulsa, Brother Love, and Mr Burns.

Edited by Octopus
  • Thanks 1

I am just like everyone else with the board politics stuff — just a lot of speculating and guessing. 

I saw that the board unanimously voted to reinstall Vince back into the chairmanship position even though they also unanimously signed a letter telling Vince to stay away.

My thoughts on this: Corporate boards and the like don’t have to broadcast their discussions, only the results of certain votes. So there are a ton of decisions that are in no way unanimously agreed upon that come out looking like a unanimous vote.

The reason for this: It is not a good look for the board of directors to tell investors “We fucking hate each other and this company is insane.” That is a huge way to sink the share price — and the people who work for the company with board seats (and other executives) receive a huge part of their compensation via shares of a company. But board members who take their work seriously also should put an emphasis on doing what they think is best for shareholders, and a crazy and unpredictable board is not that.

It is also not uncommon for a board member to step down from the board if they do not get their way in a critical vote. It is not uncommon for someone to step down from the board in protest to something they object with ethically. It is also not uncommon for a CEO to step down as they read the writing on the wall and are going to get fired as a way to save face. 

But the WWE’s corporate governance is so completely fucked up. Like what was said in the other thread: This is essentially a family company that is also traded on Wall Street. I really can’t think of any other companies set up like this where one man has 80 percent of the voting power. I am sure there must be others, especially with smaller companies who have not been public companies for too long. But a company with as many eyeballs on it like the WWE — it is insane. Facebook is not too dissimilar since Mark Zuckerberg owns over 50 percent of the company’s voting shares, but Facebook is still a relatively new company. 

Steph’s resignation could be many things. All bets are off. One thing that would be extreme but literally nothing can surprise me with a corporate set up this nutty:

The board unanimously told Vince to shove it when he originally wanted back in to press for a sale. That makes sense to me as an actual unanimous vote because any responsible board Would say that — sure, you can help sell the company, we can’t sell it without you, but we could get lit up by federal regulators because you used company money to hush up female company employees you pressured into awful situations and also may have sexually assaulted a spa owner and a former employee alike. And they also knew that doing so would not matter and Vince would eventually look to replace whoever to regain seats since he owns the company for all intents and purposes.

Steph decided she wanted to step down because of Vince (she stepped down a little before the initial articles came out). But it is a really really really bad look to investors if everyone on the executive team and board members step down at once. We could see a few other independent (non-employee) board members who are not Vince flunkies and want nothing to do with his scandal on their resume step down. Maybe another executive on the board (not sure who else other than HHH or Kahn) steps down within the month. A slow leaking of the boat could happen so investors do not all freak out at once, but who knows.

It is also really fucking crazy for a company to have a co-CEO. It is not unheard of. Salesforce for some reason has two CEOs and is a profitable company. Netflix has two CEOs and is not a profitable company and IMO one of the crappiest companies out there. The whole co-CEO thing made no real sense to me because it’s a wrestling company and nowhere near complicated or big enough as a venture for two people to have to run. 

What a fucking glorious shit show. Again: All of the above is just a lot of conjecture. The WWE is such a wild case study in corporate governance and is completely fucked up.

• Like 6

I really do think Vince’s return is to pressure a sale. They hired an investment bank from what CNBC reported. That does not happen without it getting serious. The way the stock popped indicates the same to me. 

But who the hell knows. It is an insane company.

Carnys lie. 

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

with how the stock market occasionally goes down in reaction to positive jobs reports, I'm guessing the WWE stock is going up again in response to multiple prominent board members leaving?

WWE stock is up today 

90.24 USD +2.40 (2.73%)today

4 minutes ago, Red King said:

Carnys lie. 

WWE stock is up today 

90.24 USD +2.40 (2.73%)today

A stock rising in price by 2-3 percent is not a big deal at all. The SP 500 was up by just under one percent. A few other media company shares popped today (Warner Brothers Discovery) and companies in the same sector like that often follow each other to various degrees. But a stock up 2-3 percent is not anything I would even notice unless the overall market was down line 5 percent or something like that.

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

Cassidy Haynes of Bodyslam tweeted out that he was told the Saudi deal is done and they're taking the company private.

Completely batshit that the Saudis are buying it. I thought at first it could be the Saudis because of their relationship but then changed because the Saudis still need to get a TV deal and I have a lot of questions as to who wants to deal with the Saudis.

But man… maybe the WWE’s intellectual property is so valuable that Comcast or Fox will still air the shows like they aren’t a toy for a despotic regime? 

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

how much of the LIV thing is really about people not dealing with the Saudis and now much is about people not wanting to cross the PGA?

A little of both. LIV has a whole bunch of the biggest names in golf. Even if they signed Tiger nobody would put that on the air.