DVDVR Message Board

2023 INDY WRESTLING THREAD

• 2 weeks later...

In case anybody missed it, Highspots Wrestling Network ended in late July with paid content ending in late August.  This only applies to their Pivotshare-hosted service, "Highspots Wrestling Network," and not "Highspots.TV," which is their newer service that costs more and has less content (so far), but has live streams, watchalongs, etc., is more modern, and works a lot better than Pivotshare, which has always been low-tech and low-effort.

I always wondered why they did the .TV service last July, thus having two services at the same time, and now I'm assuming they knew things would be ending with Pivotshare in a year's time.  Personally, I don't sub to either, though I do have a membership that I use solely to buy PWG shows.  Anyway, just letting you all know.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

97Vrngi.jpg

ldnOkhG.jpg

LOL, looks like Marty Scurll is doing a little tour of Manitoba. Can't believe he was in Winnipeg yesterday and I missed him. 🙄 He must have been pumped it was an all ages show.

I've literally never heard of Primos wrestling (nor the collectibles shop that runs them), but it looks like they've been running in Winnipeg and in small towns in Manitoba for awhile.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Primos used to be on Shaw Cable, ages ago. They had a store on Garden City Shopping Centre, and ran cards inside the mall. Colt Cabana worked for them at least once.

Just saw on their Facebook page that they ran a "Win lunch with Marty Scurll" contest. Hard pass. 🤣

Hey, I watched PWG BOLA 2023 over the last two weeks.  Here's some writing about it:

"The Bounty Hunter" Bryan Keith, who is apparently from the Reality of Wrestling promotion in Texas, subbed for the injured Lio Rush and was incredible.  Very good in the ring, no holes in his game, nothing botched, good charisma, just all around a really good wrestler and a pleasant surprise.  I hope to see more of him.  They did a gimmick where he, as the dark horse of the tourney, made it all the way to the semis.  His matches against Masha Slamovich (quarterfinals) and Mike Bailey (semis) were amazing.  Just great.  My only criticism is that he needs to figure out his gear, as he was pulling up his pants a lot.

Because of scheduling issues, Jordynne Grace wrestled her husband, PWI 500 top guy Jonathan Gresham, in a qualifier on night 1.  Really fun match. 

Daniel Garcia (PWG champ) lost by DQ on night 1 to get him out of the tournament and into night 2's surprise match.  I hate DQs in PWG because they never happen unless they're done as a crutch to get out of something, like to get then NJPW champion AJ Styles out of BOLA 2014 without jobbing.  Fuck, just put somebody Garcia and build a new contender. 

Komander is amazing.  In his match vs Takeshita, he did the setup for his ropewalk shooting star finish, but faked us all out with a ropewalk to the other side of the ring, then a springboard into a skytwister press.  It was awesome.

On night 2, they had a setup for a six man featuring Garcia, Uno, Gresham, Blackwood, Oku, & Kento, but then Garcia declined to team with these pro wrestlers.  So the Jericho Appreciation Society showed up unannounced and we had a really fun 10 man tag instead, complete with (really done) requisite slo-mo spot.  Jericho had a fun speech afterward where he told Excalibur he'd send some tapes and pics to him so he could hopefully get booked again.

Due to the aforementioned scheduling issues, Mike Baily, the eventual tournament winner, wrestled ALL his matches on night two.  Now I like Bailey, but his shtick can get really long in the tooth after seeing it once, let alone four times in one show.  He's got like five signature moves he goes for and misses, hits, or somewhere in between, every match, and has to do that karateman "hand-in-fist and bow" pose before every other thing he does.  I wish he'd shed some of the gimmickry because he's a really good worker and this shit would be like seeing Danhausen wrestle multiple times and doing the tequila dance in every bout.

Baily over Takeshita in the finals.  Match was above average but somewhat uninspired, or maybe I was just tired out by then.  I think Takeshita over underdog Keith in the final would be a far better story, but Baily finally winning BOLA in his third trip to the finals wasn't terrible, I guess.  I'd forgotten that he made it to the finals in 2015, before his visa issues.

There's a lot I'm leaving out and some really good stuff on these shows.  I highly recommend this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hmmm, I wonder why Garcia doesn't carry his belt to the AEW ring/they never mention PWG in AEW. 

I'm going to guess Tony signing all the independent names to guaranteed money on the other side of the country to such an extent that PWG can't run shows might have rubbed Super Dragon the wrong way

On 8/7/2023 at 11:50 AM, elizium said:

97Vrngi.jpg

ldnOkhG.jpg

LOL, looks like Marty Scurll is doing a little tour of Manitoba. Can't believe he was in Winnipeg yesterday and I missed him. 🙄 He must have been pumped it was an all ages show.

I've literally never heard of Primos wrestling (nor the collectibles shop that runs them), but it looks like they've been running in Winnipeg and in small towns in Manitoba for awhile.

How to be a better villain by Marty Scurll:

Lesson one: Commit statutory rape.

On 8/8/2023 at 6:57 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

I'm going to guess Tony signing all the independent names to guaranteed money on the other side of the country to such an extent that PWG can't run shows might have rubbed Super Dragon the wrong way

It rubbed Super Dragon the wrong way so much that he buys his own tickets to AEW’s LA shows, attends, and doesn’t tell anyone he was there or even going until the show is over. Super Dragon is SO pissed that he even put the PWG title on an AEW wrestler and booked Chris fuckin’ Jericho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If Daniel Garcia and Mike Bailey wrestle a 60 minute iron man match in PWG and no one sees it for six months, did it actually happen?

That sounds like a fucking nightmare of a match, I'm not gonna lie. But Mike Bailey's whole schtick does nothing for me, so... Yeah.

• Like 3

Beyond Americanrana last night was really good. The Wedding angle was a bit mad... they used it the way a lot of shows use a Battle Royal, to get a lot of people on the show. So they got to the "Speak now or forever hold your peace" and loads of people took the opportunity to do some shtick.

On 8/8/2023 at 10:11 AM, Technico Support said:

"The Bounty Hunter" Bryan Keith, who is apparently from the Reality of Wrestling promotion in Texas, subbed for the injured Lio Rush and was incredible.  Very good in the ring, no holes in his game, nothing botched, good charisma, just all around a really good wrestler and a pleasant surprise.  I hope to see more of him.  They did a gimmick where he, as the dark horse of the tourney, made it all the way to the semis.  His matches against Masha Slamovich (quarterfinals) and Mike Bailey (semis) were amazing.  Just great.  My only criticism is that he needs to figure out his gear, as he was pulling up his pants a lot.

I'm a big fan of Keith, especially his ability to mesh with multiple styles.  I've seen him take on a number of people in various indies and he always seems to bring his A-game.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 8:45 AM, Casey said:

It rubbed Super Dragon the wrong way so much that he buys his own tickets to AEW’s LA shows, attends, and doesn’t tell anyone he was there or even going until the show is over. Super Dragon is SO pissed that he even put the PWG title on an AEW wrestler and booked Chris fuckin’ Jericho.

Yeaaaaaah, "AEW is killing PWG and Super Dragon is pissed" is the weirdest thing I've read today.

Super Dragon hates AEW so much he just booked Jon Moxley on a show where every match featured AEW talent.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

LOL the whole "when is PWG going to start streaming" debates are happening again and I am sitting here thinking "you know what. PWG should just go the opposite direction. Don't videotape the shows at all. No live streams. No iPPV on tape delay. No Blu Rays or DVD. Strictly enforce the 'no video recording' request. No video at all ever because FUCK IT ALL AND NO REGRETS."

EDIT: Fuck it. Go further. Lock the cell phones. No photos or live tweeting during the show. No one outside finds out what happened until after the show is over. The only photo evidence is an official PWG black and white zine that gets distributed at the next show 13-26 weeks later

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know the details, but a bunch of wrestlers have announced they are dropping out of a show promoted by Fatal Pro Wrestling in Providence, RI on September 9th. My guess is this Kennedi Copeland tweet she made before announcing she was not going to be appearing anymore has something to do with it. I've never heard of FPW before. The show was called Inauguration, so I'm assuming it was their first. Waves and Curls, Ryan Clancy, and a bunch of others also announced they were dropping out

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody tried anything on Premier Streaming Network?  Only thing I know about it is that Freddie Prinze Jr. has part ownership and that's about it.  When I checked the app it had a variety of stuff but then it also mentioned Premier+ with no explanation about what exactly that is.

Masaaki Mochizuki is coming back to the US for the first time in like a decade.  He's going to be wrestling for Revolver in Des Moines so I think I'm driving down because when do you have the chance to see Mochizuki live?

33 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Masaaki Mochizuki is coming back to the US for the first time in like a decade.  He's going to be wrestling for Revolver in Des Moines so I think I'm driving down because when do you have the chance to see Mochizuki live?

Hes also working LA on 12/3 so I’d imagine other dates as well. 

• Like 1