DVDVR Message Board

2023 INDY WRESTLING THREAD

Sad news...Super Dragon tweeted that his girlfriend has been suffering from an aggressive form of cancer for a while now and he just can't dedicate time to wrestling, in case anyone else was wondering why PWG has only had two shows this year and no DVD release yet of their last show.  He said they'll be back in 2024. 

• Sad 4

Athena/Billie vs Ronda/Marina was great fun. It had this messy, gritty feel that added to it instead of subtracting. Loved Athena playing chickenshit early against Ronda. A kind of wonky FIP on Marina because Marina's not used to being in that role and maybe Billie's not used to being the aggressor in it. On the comeback Athena was amazing at taking Ronda's stuff. So much of that is just lifting someone up and driving someone down. I feel like she got to be a little more creative outside of the WWE machine but who knows. Billie ate stuff well too but Athena was just above and beyond in it. The match was probably a little unbalanced in how much of it came after the hot tag but as a one time thing it was part of the appeal (it'll be a two time thing now, but still, I didn't mind it; they'll be agented on ROH and I wonder how that went). Finish was actually almost refreshing in a "no one can/will job" sort of way. It used to happen every week in decades' past but now it made things feel bigger somehow.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A show that I promoted a couple of months ago, a mix of wrestling, burlesque and drag. It's a show running in London, and it's one of the few places in the UK that still regularly book British rules matches.

Full show - https://youtu.be/fSMmw0fFzuc

Spike Trivet vs Jerry Bakewell - British Rounds Match 

Cyro performance 

Cassius vs Amira - Loser Gets Pied In The Face Match

Nova Storm performance

Livvii Grace vs Safire Reed - British Rounds Match

Edited by Big Rob

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Is Killer Kelly any good?  I'm seeing her wrestle Emi this weekend and am not familiar with her work.

I haven’t seen enough matches of hers to get a really good feel, but I’ve liked the couple I’ve seen.

I’m also seeing her this weekend, against Jody Threat on Friday. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Is Killer Kelly any good?  I'm seeing her wrestle Emi this weekend and am not familiar with her work.

I think she's absolutely fantastic ever since her great showing against Meiko Satomura in the 2018 Mae Young Classic and she's been an excellent addition to the Impact Roster

Some of my top favorite matches of hers from Impact:

-vs. Tasha Steelz (Countdown to Victory Road, 9/23/22)
-vs. Miyu Yamashita (Impact, 3/30/23)
-vs. Masha Slamovich - Dog Collar Match (Against All Odds, 6/9/23)

Her against Emi sounds awesome!

• Like 3

On 11/29/2023 at 2:03 PM, Zimbra said:

I'm guessing you're going to the Wrestling Revolver show this weekend? That card looks really good!

40 minutes ago, brynn9292 said:

I'm guessing you're going to the Wrestling Revolver show this weekend? That card looks really good!

Yeah!  This is my first indie show and I'm pretty geeked about it, particularly seeing Sakura and Mochizuki.

I've never seen pretty much anyone else on the card except Sami so it should be interesting.

Killer Kelly rules. Her and Jody Threat had a great match that was built around Kelly trying to kiss Jody, between which they had a wild brawl around ringside. Finish came when Jody caught Kelly off-guard by kissing her and then hitting her finisher.

That was the main event of the WPW show. Honestly one of their better cards ever. Match of the night was the tag team championship between champion Sammy Peppers of Red Hot Summer and Moses the Deliverer (filling in for Sammy's sick partner) against Fresh Air. I've never seen Fresh Air or even heard of them before, but they were fun as fuck. Have an 80s B-Boy gimmick with lots of fun tandem moves. Hope they get booked again.

The other big stand out match was Warhorse beating Kevin O'Doyle and Charlie Hubley. Didn't expect much out of it but all three meshed really well and the crowd went banana over it.

Other matches:

WPW Men's Champion Tyler Colton d. Mo Jabari by DQ (former champ Bobby Schink kept running in and attacking Tyler)

Vanna Black d. Tootie Lynn

Rahim de la Suede d. Chad Daniels

AJ Sanchez d. a dude who's name I can never remember (who's doing a rich boy gimmick)

Josh Holiday d. Michael Allen Richard Clark

James Roth d. Shaun Moore

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Pandemonium Pro in Los Angeles appear to have booked Mil Muertes for March 17th.

Meanwhile Chris Hero has booked Chigusa Nagayo and Lioness Asuka to appear for West Coast Pro in San Francisco on January 27th.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 7:57 PM, bobholly138 said:

No more shows for me this year. Hit 25 shows,all indie events in Mississippi or Louisana,and filmed 100 matches exactly. 

Got together a list of the top 10 matches I saw this year. If there is any interest I will post it along with links ot each match. 

Cool my list video goes public New Years evil. Starting the next day I will post the list with links to each match,some of them I might have multiple versions of the match. 

Should that be a seperate thread? Or in this one?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Cool my list video goes public New Years evil. Starting the next day I will post the list with links to each match,some of them I might have multiple versions of the match. 

Should that be a seperate thread? Or in this one?

I'd like to see a separate thread so the list doesn't get lost (to my memory) once this thread is locked for the year.

• Like 1