DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Also, what was the deal with them even needing to use updated commentary in the first place? Was the audio in those matches just not usable? Most of those JR in 2013 matches seemed like they were taped for tv so they wouldn't have been bereft of commentary in the first place.

No, those matches did not have commentary in original form.
Wow. I'd have been totally okay with that, as opposed to the alternative. 2013 Jim Ross admonishing 1980s Mr. Wrestling II for walking out on Magnum really fucks up the moment for me.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Class of 2013 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame:

Takashi Matsunaga (Founder of All Japan Women)

Hiroshi Tanahashi

Kensuke Sasaki

Dr. Wagner, Sr.

Atlantis

Henri Deglane (20s French star, former AWA Champ)

Cheers. Be interested to see the percentages of those who got in, also how Brockkkkk Lesnarrrrr and Edge did.

TAKASHI MATSUNAGA 74%

DR. WAGNER SR. 69%

KENSUKE SASAKI 68%

HIROSHI TANAHASHI 65%

ATLANTIS 62%

Brock Lesnar 47%

Edge 37%

Carlos Colon missed it by one vote.

Thank you!

I'm trying to choose between Jesse and Heenan, but it's too hard. They're both in my head when I think of nostalgic wrestling moments. Bobby Heenan was hilarious and just ridiculously fun to listen to bouncing off Monsoon.But Jesse made everything sound big-time and legit. Look at that Savage/Hogan match for example. Top to bottom, the commentary team are pointing out subtle moves and explaining why the wrestlers did it. It's treated like any legit contest would be treated.Also, Jesse points out what we're all thinking and not what the WWF wants us to think. "Why is it ok when Hogan pulls the tights, Gorilla?"

Because the other guy is doing worse Jesse and no more than five minutes ago you were cheering him. 

• Like 1

Also, what was the deal with them even needing to use updated commentary in the first place? Was the audio in those matches just not usable? Most of those JR in 2013 matches seemed like they were taped for tv so they wouldn't have been bereft of commentary in the first place.

No, those matches did not have commentary in original form.
Wow. I'd have been totally okay with that, as opposed to the alternative. 2013 Jim Ross admonishing 1980s Mr. Wrestling II for walking out on Magnum really fucks up the moment for me.

That was a really well done angle. I wonder if something like that would fly today. A vet on the downside of his career takes a young up and comer under his wing and then turn on him.

I'm trying to choose between Jesse and Heenan, but it's too hard. They're both in my head when I think of nostalgic wrestling moments. Bobby Heenan was hilarious and just ridiculously fun to listen to bouncing off Monsoon.But Jesse made everything sound big-time and legit. Look at that Savage/Hogan match for example. Top to bottom, the commentary team are pointing out subtle moves and explaining why the wrestlers did it. It's treated like any legit contest would be treated.Also, Jesse points out what we're all thinking and not what the WWF wants us to think. "Why is it ok when Hogan pulls the tights, Gorilla?"

Because the other guy is doing worse Jesse and no more than five minutes ago you were cheering him. 

In all fairness, Hogan would often do really shitty thing unprovoked, or carry things WAY too far.  Especially against managers.

Except Hogan was supposed to be a hero. Heroes are supposed to be the bigger person, just because someone may have been planning on doing something terrible to you shouldn't give you the go ahead to do terrible things to them. Hogan was always presented as a hero but he wasn't really a good person other than telling you to take your vitamins and stuff. I never liked him as a kid and still don't. He wasn't a guy who did the right thing he was a guy who did the right thing for himself.

• Like 1

I'm working on a comp for a friend ... 120 matches of varying types, chronologically over the course of 30 yrs ('84-'13) ... May end up going nowhere ... but, was anything other than WWF/E going on around 2000/2001/2002 ... WCW dipped sharply in quality, ECW was on its last legs, ROH doesn't come along until 2002 ... I was looking up some stuff, and it's pretty much WWF/E.

Attached to this:

AW SHIT!  Where did the DVDVR "Best of the '90s" stuff go?!??!

Repeated, only because, no, really, "AW SHIT!  Where did ..." etc., etc.

On the early stages planning of this project, I'm actually planning to work this where ... lord help ... every match of the 120 has a unique wrestler in it.  So ... no cast repeats ... harder than you think ...

Except Hogan was supposed to be a hero. Heroes are supposed to be the bigger person, just because someone may have been planning on doing something terrible to you shouldn't give you the go ahead to do terrible things to them. Hogan was always presented as a hero but he wasn't really a good person other than telling you to take your vitamins and stuff. I never liked him as a kid and still don't. He wasn't a guy who did the right thing he was a guy who did the right thing for himself.

Oh so you are just suppose to wait for a guy to try to maim you. "Oh hey Bobby Heenan, I know you had a big fat guy break my ribs. Turned my friend/mentor against me and would do even worse given a chance. But I'm just gonna turn my back and wait for you to attack me again."

Well lemme tell ya something, Mean Gene. They say one bad apple spoils the bunch, dude...but what about three-dozen? Rotten to the core, brother. Sometimes, man, ya gotta do what'cha gotta do! Every morning, before a big match, brother, I asked the big dude upstairs what he wanted from the Hulkster...and he never told me to love thy neighbor, man, or to turn the other cheek, dude. He gave me the strength and the fortitude to become his vessel, brother, by any means necessary, to overcome the obstacles placed before the Hulkster, brother, for all the little Hulkamaniacs watching around the world. All the training, all the prayers, all the vitamins were for this point in my life, man. When Vince McMahon came to me, offering me this position in the World Wrestling Federation, brother, I saw the lightning flash. I heard the thunder roll, man. I fell down on my knees and I cried, my God why has thou forsaken me, dude? And the Lord said, Hulkster, you know damn good, more than you realize, you're no earthly good at all unless you take this opportunity, brother, and do whatever you have to. And he didn't say Hulkster be polite. Do whatever you have to, man, to transform and transmogrify the World Wrestling Federation into a special place. Where the hearts, souls and minds of the Hulkamaniacs can blossom. And I gave my word to God, brother. And that's why I took those heinous dudes out by any means necessary, brother.

Posted Image

• Like 6

Well lemme tell ya something, Mean Gene. They say one bad apple spoils the bunch, dude...but what about three-dozen? Rotten to the core, brother. Sometimes, man, ya gotta do what'cha gotta do! Every morning, before a big match, brother, I asked the big dude upstairs what he wanted from the Hulkster...and he never told me to love thy neighbor, man, or to turn the other cheek, dude. He gave me the strength and the fortitude to become his vessel, brother, by any means necessary, to overcome the obstacles placed before the Hulkster, brother, for all the little Hulkamaniacs watching around the world. All the training, all the prayers, all the vitamins were for this point in my life, man. When Vince McMahon came to me, offering me this position in the World Wrestling Federation, brother, I saw the lightning flash. I heard the thunder roll, man. I fell down on my knees and I cried, my God why has thou forsaken me, dude? And the Lord said, Hulkster, you know damn good, more than you realize, you're no earthly good at all unless you take this opportunity, brother, and do whatever you have to. And he didn't say Hulkster be polite. Do whatever you have to, man, to transform and transmogrify the World Wrestling Federation into a special place. Where the hearts, souls and minds of the Hulkamaniacs can blossom. And I gave my word to God, brother. And that's why I took those heinous dudes out by any means necessary, brother.

Posted Image

Including jerking on a 5 ft invisible dong.

Why would Hogan even need to resort to dirty tactics? He's fucking massive and was booked as the most powerful force on the planet. When the guy who slammed Andre feels he needs to rake backs and thumbs eyes - something is wrong.

• Like 1

I loved earlier in the show you have the Twin Towers vs. The Rockers which is an awesome match by the way.. and Ventura is constantly pointing out how The Rockers are going way overboard on double teaming beyond the five count and Marella shouldn't even be counting the pin attempts.

Wrestling doesn't need to be SERIOUS BUSINESS but I love the idea that it's treated as a sport on commentary.. I think JBL is the only guy right now who is even close to treating it as legit competition.

What he did to Sid at Rumble '92 was out of line, man. Is that sportsmanship becoming of a hero?

Also, Hogan was TOTALLY macking on Savage's woman. 

I thought so when I was five, and I still think so now. He was way out of line.