DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

You know what part of the reason is for their matches being so terrible? Because of the fans who watch them. Because of twenty years of MOVEZ and dropping people on their head being the shit. I fully believe that Davey and Eddie are simply putting on a show that they know the people there want to see. Blame Benoit. Blame Japan. Blame the ROHbots. They are all part of the problem.

If they hire Davey Richards, they should book him in a way that seems like they are going out of their way to troll ROHbots.

You know what part of the reason is for their matches being so terrible? Because of the fans who watch them. Because of twenty years of MOVEZ and dropping people on their head being the shit. I fully believe that Davey and Eddie are simply putting on a show that they know the people there want to see. Blame Benoit. Blame Japan. Blame the ROHbots. They are all part of the problem.

If they hire Davey Richards, they should book him in a way that seems like they are going out of their way to troll ROHbots.
See also, Kaval?

I haven't seen any of those guys matches. But if they pop a crowd that way, that's the psychology for that audience. It's like it when people rank on ECW for not having psychology in their matches -- the performers gave the fans what they wanted. That's the psychology of the crowd they manipulated.

I haven't seen any of those guys matches. But if they pop a crowd that way, that's the psychology for that audience. It's like it when people rank on ECW for not having psychology in their matches -- the performers gave the fans what they wanted. That's the psychology of the crowd they manipulated.

LOOK EVERYONE. GREGG CONDONES VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN. Everyone get him!

Burn the witch!

... wait

Posted Image

• Like 1

To be honest I don't see the big deal about the dreaded superplex spot. We've seen people roll through a superplex into a pin for years. Instead of a pin though Davey drags him to his feet where Eddie has the bearings to hoist him up into a suplex. Furthermore wasn't this from a blow off match at a show called Final Battle. I'm not saying I love the spot but in a world with flipping piledrivers I don't see it as the sign of the wrestling apocalypse.

• Like 1

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same as ultimo.

Wrestling is a performance and you have to judge it as a performance.  You not liking "MOVEZ" matches is fine, but you can't say "MOVEZ" matches are for idiots.  It's a style of performance, and the only fair way to judge it is against other matches of its kind or bow out if you don't like the style.  But just whining on end about Davey Richards because he's wrestling "wrong" is missing the point at best and being an obnoxious nerd at worst.

• Like 1

As has already been pointed out Austin was never portrayed as a heroic do gooder the way Hogan was. He was an anti-hero, he was a guy who's whole motto was Don't Trust Anyone and was the "Rattlesnake" he was a loner who fought the fight of the working class.

Another way to look at it is that Hogan was portrayed to be a Superman type character and Austin was more of a Wolverine/Punisher type. Superman is the guy who does the right thing all the time while Wolverine does what needs to be done. Hogan and Austin are two different types of characters. 80's Hogan is more comparable to Sting or Cena, now I have problems with both of them too but Sting was a guy who usually did the right thing, he usually suffered some consequences for it but that's part of being the hero. Cena is sometimes portrayed as a guy who does the right thing but they've booked him in overcoming the odds scenarios so much that it has almost become comedic, can this multiple time world champion and biggest star in wrestling in the past ten years finally win the big one, it's become a joke, plus he's kind of a dick most of the time. I think all the reasons I don't like Cena are his similarities to Hogan but Cena is a better wrestler so I tolerate him a little more but coked-up Hogan was a way better promo he didn't have to throw out lame poop jokes he just had sheer insanity.

I'm curious what part of "fighting for the working class" involved "stunnering" other faces, i.e. fellow members of the working class.  And there was the whole "stunnering" of Stacy Keibler that I just ... just can't forgive, man ...

Oh the Stacy Keiber thing was unforgivable, that segment still angers me to this day. Austin kind of lost his way after the failed heel turn in 2001 and even before then he was slowing down character wise (the heel turn was intriguing stuff but the crowd just wouldn't let it happen). I was speaking more of his peak in '97-'98 before the neck surgery, writing wise things started to go downhill for him after that. He turned into a mess with a lot of problems as far as being a face goes like Hogan did. It seemed that the writers (or Austin himself) would just decide that someone needed to be stunned to pop the crowd and "give 'em what they want" and they just randomly chose people. Again the Keibler angle was just terrible and in extreme bad taste and really affected my attitude towards Austin, he could have (and should have) vetoed that but he didn't. Austin did bad things but he never was presented as a hero and role model just a bad ass who happened to stand up to the boss (and Canada loving Bret Hart). Also the attitude era was a really messed up time for faces Bret and Kurt Angle were like the purest faces in WWF over that time period and they were seen as heels while Austin, The Rock and face HHH were all dicks who were loved, though the Rock did show some face tendencies like standing up for Foley and running in to save people sometimes.

Well who the fuck am I supposed to shit on then? Can't shit on Davey for wrestling shitty because it's for the fans. Can't shit on the fans for supporting shitty wrestling because that's just like their opinion maaaan. What am I supposed to do just ignore it and let people be free to live their shitty lives and enjoy stupid things?

This isn't what the internet was made for.

I have so much shit inside me. I have to let it out.

• Like 7

I've seen Davey live a couple times and I didn't really care for him one way or the other. I'm definitely not a supporter of him or his style. However, I feel he is taking way too much of the heat. He is giving the people what they want. In my view, it's crap..  but there is an audience for it. Meltzer is probably the most visible supporter. I like Dave and he's forgotten more about wrestling than I will ever consume. BUT.. for a guy who goes on and on about how wrestlers should be working safe, he is the same guy giving Davey vs. Elgin five stars and stiff as fuck NJPW matches five stars...etc.  Dave has a following. Davey's style has a following.

I believe in less hate directed at Davey and maybe point the finger at the actual fans a little bit.. or even the originators of what Davey is doing..  I'm not telling anyone they shouldn't shit on Davey, I'm saying it's gone overboard... there are others who should be sharing the "blame"

You know it's funny that Davey gets shit on for working the indy style, but when the guy that plays the racist mexican stereotype(Sami Zayn) would wrestle that same style he would instead get unversal praise by everyone here on this forum.

• Like 1

Generico is a better worker to me but it'd be inaccurate to say he didn't often times fall into MOVEZ mode. However, he has a ton of charisma. Something Davey does not have. I think it goes like this... because Generico has a personality he is going to be well liked. It's human nature. Davey has no personality so he's hated. It's like A-Rod vs. David Ortiz. Both are juicers but Ortiz is easier to forgive because he's a good guy. A-Rod, maybe he's not a bad guy... but he's definitely a weird guy. So people shit on him.

There's probably a pretty good discussion somewhere about the difference between not just the fans but the wrestlers too because they grew up in different eras & grew accustomed to seeing (and enjoying) different things.

I remember watching the C.M. Punk & Colt Cabana shoot interview, were a lot of the people they talked about that were training in the school with them were guys that just started watching because of the popularity of the Attitude Era. So everyone else was talking about how their favorites were Austin & The Rock. Punk & Cabana were name-dropping Piper & Muraco.

The fans changed too though. I mean, kayfabe is dead & a lot of the long-term fans grew up watching stuff like Rob Van Dam Vs. Jerry Lynn or Sabu, Mysterio or Jeff Hardy spot fests. Man, that first RVD Vs. Lynn match that I watched live is almost fifteen years old.

Even those examples might be too old & be dating me.

• Like 1

Maybe my favorite match of his was against Colt Cabana of all people and they combined goofy shit and with his serious bizness stuff and it totally worked. You had some schtick with Kozina running around and tripping over himself, and a "faux-legit" looking finish with Cabana knocking Davey out with a knee counter. 

And it wasn't just Cabana that made it work. It was Davey, who actually sold the knee perfect, and allowed himself to be the butt of jokes, even playing it up. I thoroughly enjoyed not just the match, but him specifically. So it's not like I'm some crazy hater who can't do anything but hate on the guy. 

Generico is better than Davey at a lot of stuff though. If I want sprinty moves stuff I want Generico playing face and selling his ass off for sympathy than and showing a tad bit of restraint in his build to the finish.